Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies swamp Hawks - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Damien wrote:
Tom Mitchell: 50 possessions and 309m gained. Scott Pendlebury 36 possessions and 691m gained. BOG Pendles.

That's a pretty damning stat really

Mitchell is exclusively an inside mid. Not his job to gain metres as such. Pendles is both, inside and outside.

Pendles by far better but comparison, in Mitchell's defence is unfair.

Not least because Pendlebury is one of the greatest players ever to play footy, whereas Mitchell is just a guy the Swans didn't want because they preferred the Hawthorn rejects they already had.

Time to resurrect the "Hawthorn is a real threat this year" thread, I think.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Very fun game, but ultimately doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. The biggest problem with this team is terrible decision making and composure. So many players just running around like chooks with the head cut off and not reading the play and so many players who play with blinkers on and can't think their way through trouble. The team is doing a lot of things right, and I think they're a better team than 3-6, but they're not going to get far unless those issues get solved. Player thoughts below:

Fasolo - garbage.
De Goey - fumbly, indecisive and slow tonight. He's better than this.
Wells - missed a sitter, but some classy touches.
Grundy - workhorse. Makes some strange decisions with the ball though.
Goldy - solid. You know what you're getting with him.
Treloar - excellent last 3 quarters, shite first quarter.
Elliot - lively and dangerous.
Blair - rubbish.
Adams - keeps getting better. Smoky for the Copeland.
Aish - great act of courage, but he was terrible before then.
Dunn - not a long term solution obviously, but a solid short term fix. Does his job.
Greenwood - OK, seems to do much better when he has a specific job.
Phillips - eh. Seems a bottom of the best 22 guy to me. Does everything kind of ok, but nothing really well. Reminds me a bit of Shane O'Bree.
Crisp - played a much better game on replay than I thought he did at the time. Didn't get a ton of the ball, but it was all good when he did.
Pendlebury - one of the club's all time greats. Best game all year.
Moore - looks so good when he can run and jump at the ball, but is rarely in the right place. Still, probably his second best game all year.
Hoskin - Elliott - weak in the contest, but his pace is important.
Maynard - coming around on him. Still good for one inexplicable howler a game, but he's offsetting it with some good stuff now.
Howe - good all night, apart from a couple of shocking disposals in the first.
Schade - like him more than most. He's solid defensively when he starts level with his man, but can't hold his body when he's trying to get back into the contest. Getting better with his disposal too.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Damien wrote:
Happy camper here. Dyso the account balance is healthy!

$4.25! These idiots will put your kids through uni at this rate!

melliot wrote:
The win papers over the structural cracks.

There are a lot of issues to fix....

A Relief to win. Head says: I think we need to change coach. But heart says: I still want him to succeed with this team.

I was almost logged-in at 1/4-time on the game thread to rip into them.
Then I realised if they can't be arsed, why should I bother?
By 1/4-time we were staring into utter oblivion.
Yet again in 2017 we'd let a shit team dictate the game, and had to play catch up football for the remainder of the match, to save face, let alone contemplate winning. I'd turned foxtel off by now, hit record, and left the house to go to the pub to see some friends.
My thoughts at the time had drifted away from how we might salvage this trainwreck, to how much we were going to get flogged by, by a side that most other teams this season had slaughtered without remorse, minus half a dozen of their starting 22, who had simply torched us in years gone by.
And to exactly what day and our we could expect a press conference to swing the axe over the coach.
So tell me peeps; when was the last time a side had kicked the first 6 goals of the match against us? Was it Sydney rnd.1, 2016?
And when was the last time we came back from 7+ goals behind to win?
I'm guessing it was the Adelaide game at shithead stadium in 2011?

So yes, it certainly was a game of two halves, and a great comeback in itself. But really the club needs to stop putting itself in these predicaments, to the point where the supporters are not only not attending, but turning on them with the booing; which WAS justified, for that idiotic going backwards shit style of play.
Plaudits to Aish, that is the courage that this game demands. See you back in the team soon. I won't crap on about individual players this week as we won, but the ice is getting rather thin under their lazy feet.

ps. Suck it Whorethorn and Flog Lord Hodge. And tool Vickery.

foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:09 pm

I know how to make the Pies win. Stop watching them live.

Couldn't watch the Cats game and they won. Stopped watching yesterday at 1/4 time and they win a great come back from behind game. The other games, I had some hope that they could stage a come back they had managed to lose.

My biggest dilemma, should I watch the Lions game live or wait for the replay?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
What a turnaround. They don't make it easy on our hearts and minds. That aside here are my player reviews:

1. Fasolo: another substandard effort. One handy tap on that set up a goal but must be dropped. He needs to be told "front and square" and you're "not" Wayne Carey.

2. Degoey: fumbled, was slow, indecisive and has yet to "pay us back" for the preseason crap. Would benefit from some time on the ball.

3. Wells: sluggish early however his handball in tight and close was very effective after half time. Like the idea of him resting down forward more and maybe a more ongoing rotation with Degoey would provide us with some flexibility.

4. Grundy: was a leviathan tonight. Only slows on him are his inability to take marks around the ground. Fix this and he becomes unstoppable.

5. Elliott: our most reliable and dangerous forward. Mark of the year not far away.

6. Goldsack: amidst this season's frustration, Goldy's return to form and weekly reliability have been a blessing.

7. Treloar: has anybody noticed how bad Adam's first quarters have been since he joined the Pies? He more than makes up for it (like he did it tonight) as the game progresses.

10. Pendles: his best game for 3 seasons. He led, he inspired and he influenced.

11. Blair: I'll concede that his last quarter tackling and handball was good, but with zero kicks in the first half and his self delusional "flying for marks" means we are effectively playing with 17.

13. Adams: was the catalyst in that all important third quarter. If he can eliminate those awful 20 metre passes that miss, he could be anything!

14. Aish: that contest, that effort, that desire for the ball may bethe turning point in your career James

15. Lynden Dunn: he has been great and we have lost nothing adding him in and off loading Brown and Frost.

19. Greenwood: kicks the difficult and misses the easy. His toughness at the contest and in tackling makes us a betters ide.

21. Phillips: Indecisive kicking and slow decision making are big slows on his game. he was good in the last quarter but fell that he isn't best 22.

22. Sidebottom: Great timely late goal, however I am genuinely concerned by his chip kicks, inability to win in heavily contested situations and his overall contribution.

25. Crisp: great goal but seems like a shadow of his 2015,2016 form. Was good n last quarter.

30. Moore: Probably his best game of the year with 5 excellent contested marks, handy ruck work and 2 goals. Be patient Pies fans. he has the goods.

32. Hoskin Elliott: some key tear away runs from 50:50 contests were pivotal in the third quarter. Has tendency to start fast possession wise and finish slow. Fitness maybe an issue given his injury plagued career.

37. Maynard: an another cliché performance by Brayden. A horrible goal costing clanger followed by a classy snap goal. I reckon Maynard must have the most unenviable "top 20 Clanger list" of any current day AFL player with 50 games or less. Nathan, put him on the WING and ban him from the defensive 50 area at once.

38. Howe: The best player trade in recruit for many a year. To think we off loaded Seedsman (no games in 2017) and Kennedy (no games in 2017) for Jeremy. An All Australian 2017 star!

40. Smith: Better as game went on. Do dislike his continual lateral kicks that equate to nothingness. Does seem to be a heart and soul player.

41. Schade: struggled tonight in the one on one contests. Again still a better bet than Brown and Frost.

Next week:

Out:

Blair
Fasolo
Aish (injured)

In:

Scharenberg (Bucks shall bring Ramsay back in)
Crocker
C Brown

On notice:

Phillips
Schade
Crisp

Fair bit of confirmation bias in your assessment of Blair's game. Like you, I'd prefer someone else in his spot but without his repeated contesting, we would not have won that game. Seriously, have another look - you've got to assess these things on merit.

Thought I was begrudgingly fair. Acknowledged his last quarter after NO kicks in the first half and some ill-conceived flying for marks that he shall never take!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Sensational win. One for the ages.

Make no mistake, the players weren't playing for Lou last night, as someone suggested. After 1/4 time they were playing for Bucks. They knew they had to win the impossible to salvage Bucks' job. Fair enough if some don't like the coaching of Bucks, but there can be no doubt that he's got the players giving their all, which is the most important task of a coach imo.

As for those criticising Blair, I thought he was a major reason we won, especially in the last quarter. He continually threw himself in like a human battering ram and got some terrific hand balls out of packs. Those criticising him for flying for high marks, don't realise that he knows he can't take the marks, but his contesting often stops the opposition marking it.

I also don't understand the heavy criticism of Phillips. He's not our best player, but he runs and contests all day and gets the ball. He'll only improve. This was Darcy's best game and we could be witnessing the emergence of the best ruck combination in the AFL.

We are still crying out for a power marking forward, but in the meantime, we'll just have to make do with a small forward set up.

Overall, we should all be rapt with last night's heroic comeback. Go Pies!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Do you really think that in the heat of a game they decided to try harder after the first quarter so that the coach would not be sacked ?

Or, is it more probable that they are no different to any other team that plays a sport and always want to win, just for winning's sake and pride in their own performance , and that the change of game style at quarter time gave them the ability to play to their potential?

We would never know the answer to that based on the BS that the coach and players feed us in press conferences and interviews.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Inside our best 11 AF pointers, Brayden Maynard had the best DE %, with 81.8

After that, comes Henry Schade (91.7), Lynden Dunn (89.5), Daniel Wells (87.5), Jamie Elliott (85.7), Jack Crisp (84.2) and Tyson Goldsack (81.3).

Our worst were Alex Fasolo at 50 and Brodie Grundy, 52.9

No other players were under 60.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Make no mistake, the players weren't playing for Lou last night, as someone suggested. After 1/4 time they were playing for Bucks. They knew they had to win the impossible to salvage Bucks' job. Fair enough if some don't like the coaching of Bucks, but there can be no doubt that he's got the players giving their all, which is the most important task of a coach imo.

As for those criticising Blair, I thought he was a major reason we won, especially in the last quarter. He continually threw himself in like a human battering ram and got some terrific hand balls out of packs. Those criticising him for flying for high marks, don't realise that he knows he can't take the marks, but his contesting often stops the opposition marking it.

I also don't understand the heavy criticism of Phillips. He's not our best player, but he runs and contests all day and gets the ball. He'll only improve. This was Darcy's best game and we could be witnessing the emergence of the best ruck combination in the AFL.

We are still crying out for a power marking forward, but in the meantime, we'll just have to make do with a small forward set up.

I was critical of Phillips, because his kicks were smothered on two important occasions where he seemed slow to make a decision and telegraphed his intentions. These are the things you notice in the real-time heat of the game. However, having watched the replay, he won't be going anywhere but back in the side for next week. He contributed very well. He has a huge tank and he kept getting it and putting in all day, with mostly positive effects. He's learning and he'll get better.

You are also spot on about Blair. He could not get near it early, as none of our forwards were in communication with where the game was being played. Once that changed, he was a ram, and one of the forces that got us home, esp. in the last. He'll be in next week.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:45 pm

I am sure he could.
ilovenathanbuckley 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Great win in the end. Gutsy by the boys!

The way some of you talk about our younger players is really sad. Try not to have a negative opinion of your own players until they at least play 50 games.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Very well said RB. Very much agree.

think better 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:22 pm

I reckon you get one of these Get Out Of Jail Free cards a year, can't rely on that again [/i]
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Great comeback the captain amazing from qtime. The relief in the rooms afterwards was significant. This is not about buckleys coaching career, Eddie McGuire or Garry pert. This is about the Collingwood football club. The perspective is we beat a team outside the 8 and now it's time to get ruthless with the bottom team. Too much celebration
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:25 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Love your work RB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11   

Jump to: