Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Josh Schache

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MagpieBat wrote:
Achilles wrote:
I think Reid and Tippett are free agents. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reid yes, Tippett no.

Batmod sir correct me if I'm wrong don't we have to use our 1st round draft pick in the draft this year after trading away our previous 2 first rounders on Treloar to meet the rules ?
If I'm right then we won't be a player for Schace
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:39 pm

I thought I had answered that in the other thread, but this article from April actually answers it definitively...

Quote:
Every AFL club can trade its future first-round pick with stricter rules to take effect in 2019
SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
April 16, 2017 8:00pm

EVERY AFL club is free to trade its future first-round pick in this year’s exchange period.

The Herald Sun has clarified future-pick trading rules and the league has for the first time released its formal guideline document.

It had been widely believed that every club must use two first-round draft picks in every rolling four-year cycle.

But the rule addresses trading a future first-round selection only when a club has used fewer than two first-round picks in the past four drafts.

Even then, clubs can apply to the AFL for an exemption.

And according to the October 2015 document, Determination for the trading of future draft selections, the first four-year block will not come into effect until the 2019 exchange period.

The delayed introduction of future trading rules was so as not to prejudice clubs’ existing long-term list strategies.

Exemptions will be determined based on the age of players brought in through trades and what draft picks the club has used.

The future-pick document also demands that club boards authorise the trading of a future first-round selection before the trade period.

Geelong does not have a first-round pick this year, after trading it last year for Carlton’s Zach Tuohy, and last used one in 2014, drafting Nakia Cockatoo at No.10.

But the Cats are allowed to go another two years without using one.

They would also have a strong case for further leeway, after recruiting Patrick Dangerfield and using an early second-round pick last year.

It was reported last October that the Cats had to acquire an additional first-round selection this year or next year to comply with AFL rules.

The Herald Sun this month made repeated attempts to confirm this with the AFL and, after discussions, believed that was the case.

But the Cats then contacted integrity officer Ken Wood, who confirmed the relaxed rules.

After requests from the Herald Sun last week, the AFL handed over the rules, which were signed off by legal counsel Andrew Dillon.

The document has never previously been made public.

Under what had been the prevailing understanding, the Cats would have had to trade in an extra first-round pick this year or next, after they traded their 2017 first-round pick for Tuohy last year.

Cats list manager Stephen Wells admitted last October he did not believe Geelong could offload a third consecutive first-round pick to land Tuohy.

“I must admit there was a perception we couldn’t do it here myself,” he said.

“But we did check with the AFL.”

The rules reveal the league is not opposed to clubs trading a string of early selections, as long as they act responsibly.

Hawthorn’s golden era was built on shrewd deals.

From 2009 to 2014, the Hawks used just one first-round pick — taking Isaac Smith in 2010 — as they traded for proven players.

Clubs are always free to trade draft picks in the current year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/every-afl-club-can-trade-its-future-firstround-pick-with-stricter-rules-to-take-effect-in-2019/news-story/62ac5fa26bb74712ec0a6e84e2e92888

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Forget about Schace he won't be coming to us next season. His likely destination is Hawks or Carlton.
North are favoured to land Martin if he leaves Richmond (50/50 at this stage)
Our best hope is to land either Reid or Tippett from the swans. Both are on decent salaries and the Swans will want to reload there midfield & defence both of which are short handed.
For mine Tippett makes sense more so than Reid as he's the back up ruck to Grundy and can play FF freeing Moore up to play roaming CHF
Reid might be cheaper but both wouldn't require a 1st round pick as the Swans will want there salaries covered so a 2nd round pick and maybe a upgrade of later picks would suffice

Not sure how or why you've formed that opinion.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Apart from how we could trade to get him, how the hell could we afford to pay for him after our recent recruiting?

How do we get rory lobb?

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I tend to agree with swoop on most of his above points.

Picking 18 year old future gun KPFs is a crap shoot.
And also as swoop suggested, he shouldnt cost as much as some posters suggest. I'm not a huge Schache fan at the moment but I'm hoping he is currently playing like he knows he's coming home.

There is a subplot in place with the Lions in regard to this years draft strategy.
One of the best tall KPF available is Connor Ballenden, who is a Lions academy player. If they finish last, which is likely, they Would probably pick Jarrod Brander at 1 and then just require enough picks stowed away to under bid for Ballenden at 2 ( assuming another club bids for him at pick 2 )
With Hipworths improvement, they would be happy to start next year with two new KPFs on their list alongside Hipworth. This would ease the pain of Schache leaving.
If he is going and is out of contract, the Lions are probably going to be " happy " with a top 10 pick to help them secure Ballenden.
If it's Collingwood, so be it and if it's not, we move on to the next available tall. There are plenty around this year but it's still a lucky dip to an extent.
( possibly 7/9 top 30 picks could be talls in this upcoming draft as opposed to only two in top 30 of 2016 draft )

This is correct & in fact is still the case with Schache. Still don't know if he can play at this level, just the same as this years top draft pick. So why lock in $700K per year for 5 years only to find out he isn't worth it? Spend bugger all at the draft & have just as much chance or more of getting a good one. Use the savings in salary to lure a free agent for the now. Because Schache isn't a now forward either.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Tell me more about it.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Yes... Another quality player in our forward line for our mids to kick it at there feet.... Eye roll
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Dropped from the seniors, only got four possessions in the reserves and now given two weeks leave from Brisbane and is back home in Seymour.
Geez he's gone from Brisbane. Number two pick.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:18 am

With two years in the system, would be a more sensible get than using our first draft pick on a tall - always risky and too slow to develop.

Simply depends on whether we believe he was worth the number 2 pick and how much we'd have to give up. If we finish the season poorly we'd be in a good position to deal. All I know is that he's a good kick for goal.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 am

Anyone who wants to leave Brisbane to be in Seymour has issues. Swap our first pick and the Lions pick up the next Buddy Franklin and this board will go into meltdown for 10 years. Keep the number one pick. Not every side is in need of talls and I suspect some that do might finish ahead of us. 2 years in the bears system is possibly corrosive. If Richmond lose Martin then they will throw the sink at this bloke. Let them. Essendon cash up Martin. North are going to need some class runners as the ones they have are grunt but not class. Hawthorn has no pick. . The Swans have plenty. We could well end up with the 3rd best tall in the draft. The Saints might use Hawks pick for a tall but with Joey gone they may go for a mid.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:49 am

Anyone who wants to leave Brisbane to be in Seymour has issues. Swap our first pick and the Lions pick up the next Buddy Franklin and this board will go into meltdown for 10 years. Keep the number one pick. Not every side is in need of talls and I suspect some that do might finish ahead of us. 2 years in the bears system is possibly corrosive. If Richmond lose Martin then they will throw the sink at this bloke. Let them. Essendon cash up Martin. North are going to need some class runners as the ones they have are grunt but not class. Hawthorn has no pick. . The Swans have plenty. We could well end up with the 3rd best tall in the draft. The Saints might use Hawks pick for a tall but with Joey gone they may go for a mid.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:39 am

Radio this morning linked Schache with Carlton or Richmond.
So I'm guessing no whispers out of Collingwood about him (yet).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:01 pm

Either that means we don't want him or else that we've tightened up on the apparent internal leaks - there were reports abroad that we were dealing for Treloar at least 6 months before we signed him.

Anyway, is there any real reason to think this lad is worth recruiting? He hasn't shown much at Brisbane.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Soft as butter, both physcially and mentally.

Do not want, especially at the asking price (1st round pick, player/2nd round pick and big money contract).

Get Sam Reid through FA, draft the best young KPP in the draft (forward or back, they are all versatile these days) and build up again.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:34 pm

We need a Key Forward with some brute strength like Luke Shackleton but 6ft 5 and who can kick goals.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: