Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

KPP (FF) - What are we going to do?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Running at 18.4 this year. Sav Rocca is really earning his keep at Princes Park...
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:24 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Running at 18.4 this year. Sav Rocca is really earning his keep at Princes Park...
MB who was it again that alienated the Rocca's?
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Not sure if that's a trick question, but Malthouse certainly kicked Sav to the curb quite unceremoniously back in the day. Still haven't gotten over it... Sad

Sav was actually helping run a couple of sessions with us a couple of pre-seasons back. Pity we couldn't talk him into staying.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Agreed saint Mick to blame there, but conversely I believe Bux insisting on a full time coach (and failing miserably to get one) contributed to Sav not coming back.
A combination of two factors perhaps, here's hoping old wounds will heal eventually and big Sav will be happy to be welcomed back to the fold.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 am

MagpieBat wrote:

Bring them both over.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:39 pm

None of the options specified in this thread are worth it. Reid is a solid player, but he just screams "massively overpaid" waiting to happen. Ditto Casboult.

I'd just punt the position basically. Play a second ruckman type as a tall target / bailout kick (Leigh Brown etc, Darcy is already playing as a backup ruck) and just play a bunch of mids / smalls.

Our 1990 premiership featured a centreman and a winger as our two key forwards for instance.

The 2008-09 Bulldogs won a lot of games with Mitch Hahn as their "primary key forward" for those who think this can't work.

Genuine KPF's are rare and are either top 3 picks or father/sons. If you can't get one of them, just ignore it rather than overpaying someone whose primary qualification is "he's tall".

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
None of the options specified in this thread are worth it. Reid is a solid player, but he just screams "massively overpaid" waiting to happen. Ditto Casboult.

I'd just punt the position basically. Play a second ruckman type as a tall target / bailout kick (Leigh Brown etc, Darcy is already playing as a backup ruck) and just play a bunch of mids / smalls.

Our 1990 premiership featured a centreman and a winger as our two key forwards for instance.

The 2008-09 Bulldogs won a lot of games with Mitch Hahn as their "primary key forward" for those who think this can't work.

Genuine KPF's are rare and are either top 3 picks or father/sons. If you can't get one of them, just ignore it rather than overpaying someone whose primary qualification is "he's tall".

and a CHF who played on the wing. Confused

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:41 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
The 2008-09 Bulldogs won a lot of games with Mitch Hahn as their "primary key forward" for those who think this can't work..

That was a fundamental issue with the Bulldogs in those years, that's why they recruited Barry Hall at the end of 2009.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 am

Jezza wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:
The 2008-09 Bulldogs won a lot of games with Mitch Hahn as their "primary key forward" for those who think this can't work..

That was a fundamental issue with the Bulldogs in those years, that's why they recruited Barry Hall at the end of 2009.

They recruited Hall because they thought he'd make them better. They were wrong, he didn't really help that much.

The point is, a great key forward is great if you can get one, but they're rare and it's better to just not play one than play a bad one because that's what you're supposed to do.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:59 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:

They recruited Hall because they thought he'd make them better. They were wrong, he didn't really help that much.

The point is, a great key forward is great if you can get one, but they're rare and it's better to just not play one than play a bad one because that's what you're supposed to do.

2010 Collingwood premiership side had Jolly in the ruck, Dawes at CHF, Cloke at FF and Leigh Brown in the forward pocket. What does our 2017 side have by comparison? You can gloss over it any way you like. Key forwards are critical, either by kicking goals themselves or bringing the ball to the ground for the small forwards to kick goals. Bad tall forwards are like bad small forwards or bad mids. You don't play bad anythings so I don't understand the point you're making here.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:30 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:

2010 Collingwood premiership side had Jolly in the ruck, Dawes at CHF, Cloke at FF and Leigh Brown in the forward pocket. What does our 2017 side have by comparison? You can gloss over it any way you like. Key forwards are critical, either by kicking goals themselves or bringing the ball to the ground for the small forwards to kick goals. Bad tall forwards are like bad small forwards or bad mids. You don't play bad anythings so I don't understand the point you're making here.

Well, yes, you don't play bad anythings if you can help it, but it's much easier to find good / decent mids and small forwards than tall forwards. I'd rather we just pick our best 22 players regardless of position rather than play someone who sucks for the sake of "structure" or whatever the excuse is.

In regards to the other part of your statement, Grundy is more than solid as a ruckman and Moore can be our backup ruck / tall forward. Cloke was a genuine gun in his day and basically shows that good KPF's are really hard to find. We only got him as a father / son. Dawes was a bit of an exception in that he was a useful tall forward who wasn't either a very high draft pick or a father / son.

We're going to struggle to get a Dawes type, let alone Cloke and I'd rather not pay through the nose just to get a mediocre replica.

Currently, I think our key defenders are a bigger problem than our forwards.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:23 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:

Great Key forwards are worth their weight in gold.

Good role players can be valuable to the team without dominating in their own right (see Dawes and brown in 2010)

Dogs won last year with no key forwards once Boyd went into the ruck.
2015 Hawks had Roughead and Shoenmakers
2014 Hawks won with roughead and Hale vs Swans who had franklin, Goodes, reid and Tippett.

We're playing good footy with a small forward line, by all means look for either a great key forward or a good role player who will work with our system, but not just play guys because they're tall.

I still think Cox can be the tall role player.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:29 pm

I really hope Buckley plays Cox, starting the PA game, because he stiffens up our spine. White must be close to returning to the side as well. That will go a long way to fixing up our problems in attack.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Reid will be a mistake, as injury prone as his brother but he's less consistant, our pathetic list management team got us into this and now we're supposed to trust them to get us out of it? Lol, i don't think so, come seasons end we need a massive cleanout.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Presti35 wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

Bring them both over.

And both landed at Vic Park in 2018, in forever what would be known as "The Roccaboult Scandal"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 6 of 21   

Jump to: