Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

KPP (FF) - What are we going to do?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:25 am
Post subject: KPP (FF) - What are we going to do?Reply with quote

We know (or hope) that Moore will become one of the leagues best CHF's in the near future.

But what about FF/support for Moore? Currently on the list we have White (29) and Cox (26). Both of these guys are not the answer going into 2018. (I'd be happy to keep one or both for depth purposes only).

This past off season, we signed Mayne (28 ) for goal kicking support, but have yet to see a return on that signing. And I'm not sure it will ever come, not that he is a FF anyway.

I look at the top goal scores in 2017 so far, and Collingwoods first listed player is Fasolo, who is 31st in the Coleman Medal race with 12 goals.

So, where are we going to find our goal kicking man?

Part 1.
Free agency shows us Sam Reid (22nd) and Levi Casboult (30th) are the only two KPF's available. Sadly Kennedy, even at age 29, has signed on to remain with West Coast.

Does Reid or Casboult solve our FF woes? Or are we best to spend free agency looking at better players in other positions?

Part 2.
Lets look at the trade table. We have lots of good ordinary players on our list. This tells me we do not have the currency to match what any club will want for a young KPF.

What would it cost to get, say, Paddy McCartin or Josh Schache to Collingwood? Probably too much. So could/should we look at an older KPF? Would there be any benefit trading for someone like (I hate to say it) Jack Riewoldt?

Part 3.
Then of course there is developing recently drafted players (McLarty, McCarthy, Mackie or Lynch). I'm not sure if these guys are FF material. Do we just keep playing White/Cox until one of these is ready?

And, if we end up in or near the bottom 6, we'll have a nice fat juicy draft pick. Is there a big goal kicking machine there waiting to be drafted by the Pies?

Ending.
It has been said that Collingwood are a good Full Forward away from becoming a top side (also debatable), but where the f are we going to get him from?

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think they will look to buy Sam Reid through Free Agency for the now and look to trade for Josh Schache for the later, with our projected Top 10 draft pick this year the baseline for trade negotiations.

McLarty is already showing some good signs as a future full back, McCarthy could be literally anything (possibly a running 3rd tall forward) and Lynch is a project ruckman who has a long way to go...

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:10 am

MagpieBat wrote:
I personally think they will look to buy Sam Reid through Free Agency for the now and look to trade for Josh Schache for the later, with our projected Top 10 draft pick this year the baseline for trade negotiations.

McLarty is already showing some good signs as a future full back, McCarthy could be literally anything (possibly a running 3rd tall forward) and Lynch is a project ruckman who has a long way to go...

Mr batmod I thought we couldn't trade our 1st round pick this year have to use it under the rules (we traded away our last 2 for Treloar)
Reid makes logical sense. Swans need cap space and have other options but Tippett may be the one they put on the market his salary is more he is older and Reid seems to fit better be with Buddy. Tippett wouldn't cost any more draft wise and also can play back up ruck so might fit our needs a bit more.
Lions won't lets Schache go cheap.
Mail up here is he wants out bad and they have Hipwood McStay and a few other young talls coming through there academy but there going to play super hard ball. Would have to be minimum of pick 2 and likely a player along the lines of a Maynard or Ramsay type (meaning a ready made medium size back to fill there needs)
The guys we drafted are going to need time so getting a Tippett makes sense to me as he's ready to go and takes the best defender away from Moore and plays FF leaving Moore at CHF and we can then use our draft pick on another tall (this draft apparently has a raft of good talls)
Be interesting to see what happens really
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:57 am

Target Sam Reid as a FA. Cost nothing other than salary.

Use our first round draft pick (currently looking to be in a top 5 position) and select the best tall forward in the country to develop as Sam Reid shoulders the burden for the remainder of his career, hopefully handing over the baton as Riewoldt will with McCartin.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am

Reid or tippett are not the answer just like Mayne wasn't.

Where going to think harder than that.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:28 am

Our priority must be MATURE RELIABLE support for Moore without giving up our first round pick.

I would add Mitch McGovern ( crows ) reportedly leaving at end of this season. This would require a trade. His preference is to go back to WA to play with his brother but his age profile and ability suits our needs perfectly. Very mobile forward. We should be into him big time, even if it's just to inflate his price else where.

As far as the kids go, it is considered a KPP draft but leaning more towards quantity than real quality. The key to this years draft is if the AFL decide to exclude Jarrod Brander from the GWS academy zone, ( there might be a recent outcome I'm not aware of yet ? ) we should just tank the rest of season and build our forward line around him for next ten years. I think he is around 6 3" ( and growing ) but plays strong and taller than his height.

Best of the rest of the non academy kids are likely to be Callum Coleman - Jones ( S A forward ruck ) and Jaidyn Stephenson ( Vic KPF )
Just google them to learn more about them.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Start developing both Scharenberg and McLarty as forwards, not defenders.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Our priority must be MATURE RELIABLE support for Moore without giving up our first round pick.

I would add Mitch McGovern ( crows ) reportedly leaving at end of this season. This would require a trade. His preference is to go back to WA to play with his brother but his age profile and ability suits our needs perfectly. Very mobile forward. We should be into him big time, even if it's just to inflate his price else where.

As far as the kids go, it is considered a KPP draft but leaning more towards quantity than real quality. The key to this years draft is if the AFL decide to exclude Jarrod Brander from the GWS academy zone, ( there might be a recent outcome I'm not aware of yet ? ) we should just tank the rest of season and build our forward line around him for next ten years. I think he is around 6 3" ( and growing ) but plays strong and taller than his height.

Best of the rest of the non academy kids are likely to be Callum Coleman - Jones ( S A forward ruck ) and Jaidyn Stephenson ( Vic KPF )

Brander available
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-13/clubs-lining-up-after-giants-lose-academy-star

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:10 pm

dalyc wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Brander available
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-13/clubs-lining-up-after-giants-lose-academy-star

Thanks dalyc. I missed the outcome on that one.

The interesting thing is that some say the best U 18 KPF in the country is the Qld academy kid. If The Lions finish on the bottom and pick their academy kid, that could still leave Brander at number 2 ( academy discounts aside )
Brandeis availability really opens up the KPF quality at the top end.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 pm

simon tonna wrote:
Reid or tippett are not the answer just like Mayne wasn't.

Where going to think harder than that.

As Presti35 has laid out in the OP, our options outside of the club are quite limited.

Without selling our soul again (first round and second round draft selections or a quality player) Reid is by far our best option via FA. Reid will not only improve our side immediately but will be able to provide a quality mature body to aid Moore's development.

We then have the ability to use our first round selection to pick the best KPP in the draft, to follow Moore in development.

If you go and get a McCartin or McGovern, you will be giving away quality picks or players and forking out a large sum of cash to lure them away.

A top 10 selected player will not be demanding that at this early stage of their career.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:10 pm

We're targeting Schache and most likely Sam Reid as well.

Key forwards take time so personally I'd rather just go with a player 2 years already in the system than use our 1st round pick on the exact same type.

Get Schache.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:42 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Mr batmod I thought we couldn't trade our 1st round pick this year have to use it under the rules (we traded away our last 2 for Treloar)
Reid makes logical sense. Swans need cap space and have other options but Tippett may be the one they put on the market his salary is more he is older and Reid seems to fit better be with Buddy. Tippett wouldn't cost any more draft wise and also can play back up ruck so might fit our needs a bit more.
Lions won't lets Schache go cheap.
Mail up here is he wants out bad and they have Hipwood McStay and a few other young talls coming through there academy but there going to play super hard ball. Would have to be minimum of pick 2 and likely a player along the lines of a Maynard or Ramsay type (meaning a ready made medium size back to fill there needs)
The guys we drafted are going to need time so getting a Tippett makes sense to me as he's ready to go and takes the best defender away from Moore and plays FF leaving Moore at CHF and we can then use our draft pick on another tall (this draft apparently has a raft of good talls)
Be interesting to see what happens really

That was my understanding, but I've been told that it's more of a rolling four year period than a fixed one. And in any event, clubs can get special clearance from the AFL to trade a 3rd first rounder in a four year window, if they apply for it (which Geelong had to do last year to get its trades over the line).

I imagine that if Schache wanted out to us, the AFL would not stand in the way of a Top 5 pick going to Brisbane. It might inspire them to change the rules relating to draftee contract tenure though...

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Isnt this years draft supposed to be full of KPF's?
if so recruit one

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Just as Neil said. Recruit the best KPP available at our 2-5 draft pick. Anything else is suicidal.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Without seeing match against GWS (travlin Greece)
veiwed the Agenda where Chisto and Jay Clarke
both felt Darcy not a key forward just yet saying
his role as ruck rover was more his go

As White injured would having Cox in close and the Moore's and Grundy,s with their athletisism get the
cherry to Cox or crummbers Elliott and Sidey
etc
Would this be good thru season --even finals if we
got there

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21   

Jump to: