Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood caught between 2 strategies.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Plainly its Open season on the Pies, if we were Nth Melb or the Lions, nobody would give a rats fat clacker, like these stirring shit journos.

Nah. That's not true. If this was Bitchmond, they'd be under the same pressure. Other teams have credits in the bank....Norf at least have made finals....Lions have a bottom 4 list so should finish bottom 4.

Our list isn't bottom 4 but that's where we sit.

Just remember mate, take it on board, that Collingwood, good or bad, sells newspapers, our brand sells, we dominate social media, people hate our friggin guts, despise us, loathe us, and journos feed off this. Recall last season, when that fat pig Robbo slurred us with some drugs fiasco saga, other teams were more in on it, like the Hawks, but he chose US, because we are still the Big Show in town, we make journos stories, and folks love to read that we are in deep shit. Did you know its estimated, of all the people who love the Pies, at least five times that number absolutely hate us, I read that in the book Kill for Collingwood, and I never forgot it. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Stevo75 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Yep another non story here. Anyone that can't see that the past few years almost all of our draftees have had shocking runs with injuries, then they must be blind and/or stupid? Add to that the experience lost last year then it's a no-brainer to bring in older players.
You can't just have a bunch of kids running around? Wells is our only player over 30 FFS! Perfect example is Gold Coast and GWS. They both had the best players in the country on their list for their first couple of years and how did they go?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:41 pm

We def payed overs for Mayne. Even if he'd been playing decent footy. I just hope all those extra dollars don't cost us next year in our ability to get a big fish or retain young talent
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:51 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood caught between 2 strategies.Reply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
Interesting article from the Age today just saying we are caught between 2 strategies with regard to our recruiting.

Collingwood are a club torn between two list management strategies and have set themselves up for potential long-term on-field pain, according to former list management guru Chris Pelchen.

Pelchen, who played a key role in Port Adelaide's first AFL premiership and Hawthorn's recent golden era, has expressed grave concerns over the Magpies' off-season recruiting that brought in veterans Daniel Wells, Chris Mayne and Lynden Dunn from other clubs.
The trio were picked up by under-fire coach Nathan Buckley to help fast-track a return to finals after three consecutive barren seasons.

But after seven rounds, the three players have played just seven games between them this year and, with a 2-5 win-loss record, Collingwood are staring down the barrel of a fourth consecutive season without finals action.

"It will really challenge the leadership of the club," Pelchen told Fairfax Media.

"You'll potentially have different factions start to splinter the club because some people will think, 'We have gone too hard at getting mature-age recruits over the past couple of years at the expense of attacking the draft or ensuring we retain our younger players'.

Personally I haven't got a clue what the clubs overall strategy is.

List build aside, this is the same "Alan Seale lisp speaking" toss bag whose been sacked by:

* Port
* Hawks and
*Saints

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 pm

E wrote:
Dunn was brought in because we lost Brown. No more expensive to have Mayne as it was to have Cloke. Wells is no different to having Swan.

If Collingwood had kept those 3 players, this article would be redundant and our list would be in EXACTLY the same spot as it was.

The youth push is obvious. These moves were made to replace mature age bodies from a list that lost 3 or ore mature age bodies.....

Agreed: with no player on our list going into 2017 trade/free agency week over the age of 29 (Scott Pendlebury). it was a no brainer to add some experience and quality with Wells and Dunn. Sure Mayne was the wrong call, however what Pelchen fails to identify are:

* McLarty: long term key back solution
* Kirby: some X factor
* Daicos: forward class
* C Brown: father son

As a list we may not be great but what can never be argued is us falling off the cliff age wise!!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:10 pm

It's a spectacularly stupid article.

1: You HAVE to spend your cap (or close to it). The AFL hammers you just as bad for goiing under as it does for going over.

2: He makes no actual complaint about any of our drafting decisions. All he says is "It's bad, nyahh, nyahh, nyah!" So WHO are the players we did not draft and should have (with the not-so-special picks we have had), and WHO are the players we "wasted" picks on?

...... crickets ......

3: He complains about us not recruiting youth, but he utterly fails to recognise that you can't get good young talent (players like Treloar - yes, that's right, the very players he says we did well to get) without paying something for them.

4: He fails to name even one single youngster we have failed to hold, or look like failing to hold. He has zero, repeat zero evidence for his mouthful of crap.

He's a moron.

Maybe he was pretty smart back in his glory days, but you wouldn't hire a turkey like that now to sweep the team bus.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 pm

mooretreloar wrote:
Ronny Lerner, the journalist, must be one of the only Fairfax journalists not striking

Oh FFS. Get your facts right. They <i>all</i> went on strike. Every one. Management wrote the paper. And now they are all back. If you bothered to read the paper instead of just making stuff up, you'd know that. There are full length articles signed by all the regulars in all the usual places, and it's not just a pastiche of AAP reprints. From memory, they went back to work on Wednesday, but it might have been yesterday.

(In general, workers who have the gumption to go out when things are bad deserve your support and respect - far more of it than lazy scabs do. In this instance, however, the Fairfax mob strike me as doing the equivalent of lying down in front of a red-hot lava flow and imagining that will stop the progress of the volcano. They are working in a dying industry and the only sensible thing for them to do is look at early retirement or else a lifetime of flipping burgers for a living. Newspapers are dead.)

That notwithstanding, these remarks of yours are spot on in every respect.

mooretreloar wrote:
No wonder Pelchen doesn't have a job at a club anymore .....

28 players under 25 years of age. Only one player over 30, Wells.

Swan, Toovey, and Macaffer retired, Brown and Cloke moved on, so we lost a lot of experience. Thus, we went and recruited some experience in Dunn, Wells and Mayne. I am unsure why this is so difficult for some to work out and comprehend, it really isn't hard.

Dunn was traded for pick 47 and we received Dunn and pick 51 in return. Wells and Mayne were free agents, thus no impact on draft picks, only on the salary cap.

I mean seriously, what bizarre rubbish does this turkey have to spout these days to get just one more headline?

(Ans: we've just seen it.)

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:30 am

E wrote:
Dunn was brought in because we lost Brown. No more expensive to have Mayne as it was to have Cloke. Wells is no different to having Swan.

If Collingwood had kept those 3 players, this article would be redundant and our list would be in EXACTLY the same spot as it was.

The youth push is obvious. These moves were made to replace mature age bodies from a list that lost 3 or ore mature age bodies.....

Would rather have cloke than mayne
E 

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:50 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
E wrote:

Would rather have cloke than mayne

agreed, but I suspect that was not possible. we all drove him out of the place..... he was routinely jeered by pies fans in the end. I wouldn't want to play for a team whose fans treated me like that.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:25 am

...it was Buckley who led the charge against Travis Cloke...and the lemmings stampeded over the cliff. the loss of Cloke was due to Buckley's demonisation of him. This is the unforgiveable sin in my opionion that will seal Buckley's fate. Darcy Moore by himself in the forward line is an indictment of Buckley, IMHO.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:59 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
...it was Buckley who led the charge against Travis Cloke...and the lemmings stampeded over the cliff. the loss of Cloke was due to Buckley's demonisation of him. This is the unforgiveable sin in my opionion that will seal Buckley's fate. Darcy Moore by himself in the forward line is an indictment of Buckley, IMHO.

Cloke at 28 yo missing set shots from 10 meters out is the cause not Buckley
Add David Cloke screwing the club over for $800000 a year

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 am

People are missing the point about what Pelchen said. Basically he's saying that when you pick up older players, you impede the development of the younger players on the list. Pelchen was a top recruiter in his day. You have to respect his opinion. I think he gets some things right and some things wrong. The fact that we sit fourth bottom on the ladder supports a lot of the things he says. You don't have to like what he says, but as I said earlier, denigrating him is shooting the messenger.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:53 am

E wrote:

Yes it is and by plenty.

Cloke most likely would have been on a year by year contract had he stayed and not a $2,000,000 4 year contract.

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:25 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
People are missing the point about what Pelchen said. Basically he's saying that when you pick up older players, you impede the development of the younger players on the list. Pelchen was a top recruiter in his day. You have to respect his opinion. I think he gets some things right and some things wrong. The fact that we sit fourth bottom on the ladder supports a lot of the things he says. You don't have to like what he says, but as I said earlier, denigrating him is shooting the messenger.

Bucks, I understand your view. However, the opposite also applies. If you have too many young players on your list and not enough experienced players on your list, then the young players are exposed too early and their development can also be impeded. Jack Watts is a prime example of this. It took him many years to overcome the mental and physical pressure we exerted on him in his debut.

Remember players like Dipper and Tuck played many reserves games before graduating to the 1's, albeit list sizes were greater then.

We have plenty of young players on our list, 2/3rd's of the list, we lost 5 experienced players and recruited 3 and these 3 are not impeding the development of any young players. Purely and simply, Pelchen's view is wrong and from my end anyhow it has nothing to do with shooting the messenger.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

"TRAVIS Cloke could be the victim of a selection squeeze against St Kilda as the Western Bulldogs’ forward line approaches full strength...
Champion Data figures show Cloke’s output is the lowest of his career — even compared to 2016 season when Collingwood dropped him three times."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/travis-cloke-could-be-dropped-by-western-bulldogs-as-premiers-welcome-back-players-from-injury/news-story/96b51ad9c5067482aa7f4e025b57fdcd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: