Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #1,#19,#20,#21,#24,#2 Captain Lou Richards (1923-2017)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ "always cruel to the woman who worked at Bunnings in
Nunawading...." ?? What, did he drive out there specially, for that entertainment ? Was he also nasty to the hamburger seller on
Whitehorse Rd on his way home ? Seems a very odd claim.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 am

Presti35 wrote:
Some old work "friends" are getting stuck into me on facebook after I posted a little tribute.

I said: "A man who helped change the game. An icon of Australian sports and media. RIP Lou." With a picture.

First reply was: "He was always very cruel to the woman who worked at Bunnings Nunawading. He would say they "know nothing" and "don't belong in a hardware store". I know he was a "product of his time", but you know what, he was an asshole".

Second one was: "bullshit he did not change any game he was rover in a football side".

Sheesh, I'm a female mechanic, was the first at GMH, I've heard that so many times I'd have to say all men and a lot of women are arseholes! The arseholes are the bogans slagging him off after death when he can't defend himself. I'd delete the comments. Facebook can be such a horrible thing!

I loved his clean wit, and his devotion to his wife. Something no where near as common today. Goodonya Lou, a legend! Xxx

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 am

Can't you be more polite.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Met Lou a couple of times. Was always friendly and loved to chat about footy - especially the Pies. R.I.P
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:45 am

Mugwump wrote:
Nunawading...." ?? What, did he drive out there specially, for that entertainment ? Was he also nasty to the hamburger seller on

Why would he drive all there tio go to Bunnings and Lou had enough coin that I doubt at age 94 he was up on a ladder painting. I dount he even knew where Nunawading was. Or Bunnings. He might have gone to Bunnings in Collingwood or Hawthorn.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:36 am

Sorry to put a downer in the tribute thread.

The two posters have had some nice "feedback" and well... the silence from them is deafening.

Even my friends who support other clubs are standing up for Lou.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Backs up what we've all been saying Presti
He built people up and brought us together
As a player and afterwards

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Well Allegedly the hamburger seller, didn't know the difference between a cheese burger from a squid in a bun so no wonder he was rude to him.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:11 pm

It would be nice if the team could win this week, for Lou and his family.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Dear Louis,

Horribly sad week. I’m going to refrain from any criticisms or digs, despite my heartbreak at the prospect of another wasted year. Some things are more important than football games, and the loss of the Collingwood man I loved & revered more than any other is one such. The world seems just a bit colder, with a bit less humour, and Victoria will be just a bit emptier without the great Lou Richards in it.
As a toddler I didn’t have a grandfather and somehow picked up the idea that Lou was my grandpa. I’m told I would point at the TV on Sunday mornings and yell “PA!” when Lou appeared. Later on I never missed World of Sport on a Sunday morning as Lou led the likes of Jack Dyer & Doug Elliot in dissecting the previous days games, having a lot of fun with the coaches before they were presented with the Patra Orange Juice and Ballantyne ham, and on a good day even the Tosca luggage which Doug Elliot would produce at the end of the segment. Lou would always be there for the handball competition as I prayed there would be one of our boys, maybe Alan Atkinson or Doug Gott, or if we were really lucky Wayne Richardson, or Barry Price who never failed to find to find the 10-point hole with the little curtain while the likes of Barry Davis or Captain Blood called out the score if the hole was missed & tossed the pill back to Lou who handed them to the player testing his skill.
It was an unusual thing to get to see one of the 6 games, all played on the Saturday before at 2RazzM. Usually the last quarter of the match of the day on Saturday evening was our lot, plus several clips of the best plays on WOS. My brother & I were usually to be found on a Saturday afternoon carrying a box of “Drinks, Lollies, Peanuts & Potato chips” at Waverley, where a good day could net us $6 or more. Far less if Collingwood was playing as my attention would be more on the game than my employment.
I’d like to tell you that Lou was one of the great names I watched on those sunny Saturday afternoons, but of course there was no VFL Park in the Fifties when Louis was tearing around Viccy Park, and of course the MCG where he led the Magpies to the Premiership in ’53, taking revenge on Geelong who had soundly whipped them in the previous year’s Grand Final.
Lou was, in my opinion, the greatest of the previous generation of footballers, and possibly the most beloved of all magpies, both during and after his playing days. He was the pioneer of ex-players appearing on TV, the king of footy tipsters, and possibly the greatest, most passionate clubman Collingwood ever had.
Given that most Magpies have no knowledge of who Ern Copeland was or what he did (Though his contribution to the club should never be forgotten, especially given his part in saving the club from extinction in the 1890s during nearly 30 years as a servant of the club), the trophy for Collingwood’s best & fairest has borne his name for around 85 years, & it might be time to change the name of that award to that of a true legend of the club, and a man who was loved by a great many current members & supporters.
To that end I propose that the award for Collingwood’s Best & Fairest player each year be renamed the “Lou Richards Trophy”. I believe that this would find favour with most current Collingwood people and I can think of no more fitting time to make such a change than the 125th anniversary of the club’s beginning. I would hope that this proposal could be discussed calmly, though I won’t be taking part in any such discussion, but I will be putting it to the CFC board. The hope being that such a move might act as something of a catalyst to a new era of success at Collingwood.
Goodnight dear friend, you will be very deeply missed as one of the most beloved and probably the funniest person ever to wear the Black & White.

If that’s not true I’ll mow the MCG with a pair of Nail Scissors.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:45 am

Piesnchess wrote:
For those of you who want to re live the fun and chaos of good ol League Teams, there is an excellent DVD, called Great grandfinals of the 1960s. It has Lou, Jack and Bobby in full flight, and is full of jokes, snide remarks, inane humour, fun, and Lou mouthing off to jack. It has old footage of every GF of the 1960s, mostly last qtrs., some very rare footage. It shows, sadly, our three losses, in 60 64 and 66. Jack and bob see wins by their old teams, and at one point Lou moans, jeezus, don't we get to see the Pies win one ! I got my copy from that Fishpond.com, its great viewing, great happy memories, kinda like the best of League teams. Highly recommended.

It's been uploaded on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20K9FMdorCE

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 am

Anyone watch the 7 tribute after the footy tonight? Really enjoyed it.

I encourage everyone to watch the spirit of Collingwood documentary hosted by Lou once more before tomorrow's game. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3T5Wy1pqV0

Just such a unique person. He was Collingwood but also all of football at the same time. He was passionately melbournian, but was beloved by all Australians. Northern states only knew him thru wide world of sports with Tangles but they loved him. Such a fun loving cheeky bloke. Loved the club but never shied from poking fun at the club either.

Lou and Ron are back together again no doubt... rest in peace
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:11 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:

BT Sports cut it off. Evil or Very Mad

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:26 am

Presti35 wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:

BT Sports cut it off. Evil or Very Mad

Hopefully it's on 7plus website. I streamed it in Sydney on the 7 website
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:

I encourage everyone to watch the spirit of Collingwood documentary hosted by Lou once more before tomorrow's game. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3T5Wy1pqV0

Just such a unique person. He was Collingwood but also all of football at the same time. He was passionately melbournian, but was beloved by all Australians. Northern states only knew him thru wide world of sports with Tangles but they loved him. Such a fun loving cheeky bloke. Loved the club but never shied from poking fun at the club either.

Lou and Ron are back together again no doubt... rest in peace

It was excellent. Really worth watching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: