Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Freedom of speech – just not on Anzac Day, thanks.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David do you think she timed this on purpose for the reaction? Why else would She do it? If she did is the outcry fair in your mind?

It's probably no more sinister than the fact that it was Anzac Day and therefore the topic on most people's minds, and this was her (perhaps slightly glib/immature) response to it.

Having said that, I have no problem with people being deliberately provocative, and no problem with people being criticised accordingly. What I do have a problem with is self-righteous posturing like that expressed by government politicians and the front cover of the Telegraph. It smacks of overreaction, virtue-signalling and perhaps some more sinister motivations given Abdel-Magied's dual status as a Muslim and a migrant.

What's clear is that, for all the right's mockery of oversensitive leftists, they certainly don't seem to like it much when the boot is on the other foot. Perhaps Yassmin's post should have come with a trigger warning.

Cheers. Good response

I agree she an say what she wants but I'm happy for the offender to sling shit back, as WPT said time and place, she was looking for attention IMO

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 pm

ronrat wrote:
Nearly every ABC news or commentary program I see is ended with "You can follow me on twitter ofr Facebook". If you choose those poisons and encourage them expect a backlash if you piss a lot of people off. The sooner someone invents a time machine and goes back and points out the benefits to Zuckerberg and co such as a Thai man hanging his 11 month old daughter on Facebook the better.

I think you're confusing some issues here.

One is the fact of a man (again) killing his child because he's angry with his wife

Two is the medium.

Three is that Zuckerberg has a monopoly is another issue

Four is why is such an action allowed to be posted, what type of controls are in place etc? Too few it seems.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ ^ I actually agree with your view, David. While there are limits, people are entitled to say what they think without having their employment ended as a result.

The fact that I think she's an obnoxious exhibitionist, making a career out of slighting sacrifice and courage that she will never understand, on behalf of alien and demagogic religious ideology, does not change the fundamental point that Australians have the right to express their views as long as they do not negate or harm the purpose or reputation of their employer. The ABC does have a responsibility to reflect free debate, and this was within that envelope.

Thanks for the bait re Vietnam, WPT, but it can float downstream.

The question, as ever, is why we are admitting to this country a large group of people who do not relate to the sacrifices of our national story, and thus will inevitably think like her, until one day the war memorials are torn down, the institutions of liberty degraded, and our politics as squalid and shabby as many of the benighted places that aspired to our condition of freedom and prosperity.

Hi Mugwump:

It was put to correct your last post (sorry about the pun) some time ago when you asserted that the so called Left were responsible for the ill treatment of Vietnam Vets on their return from war. The omission of the reaction of the RSL to the Vietnam Vets (commie bastards they were) to determine they were not deserving to be commemorated on Anzac day was glaring. It's just a delayed response as I was reminded of it recently and remains an important factor that has been omitted when people are inclined to apportion blame in a singular manner.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:10 pm

David wrote:
Is there a trademark on the phrase "lest we forget"? Are we only permitted to intone it like rites at a Latin mass, and not think about what it actually means or how else it might be applied?

Yes there is apparently - Lest We Forget is a registered Trade Mark owned by the RSL.

It's permitted to be used on floral wreaths, messages of condolence for service men and women's families etc.

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/513819?q=Lest+We+forget

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Lol, ok. It also appeared in the Bible and in Rudyard Kipling's poetry before it was used in connection with Anzac Day, but I guess it's nice to be able to own language!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:17 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ ^ I actually agree with your view, David. While there are limits, people are entitled to say what they think without having their employment ended as a result.

The fact that I think she's an obnoxious exhibitionist, making a career out of slighting sacrifice and courage that she will never understand, on behalf of alien and demagogic religious ideology, does not change the fundamental point that Australians have the right to express their views as long as they do not negate or harm the purpose or reputation of their employer. The ABC does have a responsibility to reflect free debate, and this was within that envelope.

Thanks for the bait re Vietnam, WPT, but it can float downstream.

The question, as ever, is why we are admitting to this country a large group of people who do not relate to the sacrifices of our national story, and thus will inevitably think like her, until one day the war memorials are torn down, the institutions of liberty degraded, and our politics as squalid and shabby as many of the benighted places that aspired to our condition of freedom and prosperity.

Hi Mugwump:

It was put to correct your last post (sorry about the pun) some time ago when you asserted that the so called Left were responsible for the ill treatment of Vietnam Vets on their return from war. The omission of the reaction of the RSL to the Vietnam Vets (commie bastards they were) to determine they were not deserving to be commemorated on Anzac day was glaring. It's just a delayed response as I was reminded of it recently and remains an important factor that has been omitted when people are inclined to apportion blame in a singular manner.

^ G'day mate, can't recall the post, honestly ! Suspect it was a bit more nuanced than you describe, and I don't know anything about the RSL's reaction to Vietnam. It's interesting if true. But the RSL has always been a somewhat Gilbert and Sullivan organisation.

What I recall writing about was the fact that there was a very strong anti-Anzac day meme coming from the student Left of politics (see the play "The One Day of the Year") and the various attempts of women against rape to crash the march in the 1980s. I would be surprised if the Conservatives adopted this line in any systematic sense.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Agree about the strong anti ANZAC meme but remember that play was written in 1958.

I did it in high school in the early 80's and IIRC it was the story of how the young bloke went from looking at ANZAC day as a beer swilling fest to understanding why it was so important to his father.

maybe I should read it again. I seem to recall getting a new appreciation for ANZAC Day after reading the play at the time.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 am

Rundle, as they say, nails it.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/04/28/attack-on-abdel-magied-for-anzac-comments-is-cowardly/

Quote:
It should be clear by now that The Australian‘s latest attempt to destroy the career of Yassmin Abdel-Magied has gone over the top, as unwisely as the Anzacs did. The brutal chase began with a seven-word Facebook post by Abdel-Magied: “Lest. We. Forget. (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine)”. The comment was a passing one, and an act of free speech, by someone who is an ABC youf presenter, among other duties. The Australian and the rest of News Corp went her. The management of ABC conspicuously failed to step in and point out that presenters who aren’t doing Lateline etc, should have some leeway for passing comments. Lacking that visible support, and presumably getting the opposite in private, Abdel-Magied deleted the parenthesised words on her post.

That’s when things started to get really strange and nasty — presumably because Abdel-Magied had made a tactical withdrawal, depriving the hounds of prey. For of course Abdel-Magied didn’t say anything about the Anzacs per se, positive or negative. She simply suggested that other people suffered and should not be forgotten. The suggestion that this is, a) a terrible thing for anyone to say, and b) a sackable offence for an ABC broadcaster, is so stupid that it demeans us all to have to even broach it. But we’re at that moment when stating the most basic truths is the most urgent duty, against a push that has become clownish and sinister at the same time.

To put it bluntly: demanding that there be a fixed view of a national military historical event, and that it amount to nothing but uncritical veneration, is totalitarian in its impulse, and has a whiff of fascism about it. This absurd reconstruction of Anzac Day that has occurred over the past decade or so has multiple purposes: the desperate search for a confected national solidarity, a substitute for Australia Day, and as a white-skin rallying point for the right.

It’s absurd and everyone knows it, and in pursuing that absurdity, the right (with exceptions, which I’ll come to) shows its contempt for any notion of free speech, or the genuinely pluralist society that is required to underpin it. Unsurprisingly, both the bullying of Abdel-Magied, and the establishment of some defined and unquestionable set of ‘Australian values’, and state-ordained view of a historical event, gains not a peep of protest from the IPA and other sinkholes of “ferrdom!”.

The “ferrdom!” brigade do not appear to have realised — or perhaps do not care — that any attempt to enforce a set of “national values” around Anzac, has, as its by-product, a reinforcement of the idea that the state could and should be co-opted into doing so. Reinforce “Australian values” around Anzac, and as a consequence you reinforce the cultural legitimacy underpinning 18C: the notion that the state can guard “Australianness” in its current anti-racist self-conception.

How do they miss that very obvious point? Because they (and the cultural left, for that matter) are still fighting the culture wars of the post-’60s era, in which Anzac Day and cosmopolitan, multicultural life were seen as opposed. They no longer are. One gets the other; 18C becomes what the Anzacs fought for, shared meanings enforced by the state, whether through tribunals or sacking people from public broadcasting jobs. With the exception of Helen Dale, who made some of the above points in a piece in the Tele this week, no one from that direction seems to have noticed. Or, as one now suspects, cares. The persistence of Australian cultural statism allows the right to pose as perpetual outsiders — usually in their public university jobs, where they rail against “big government”.

Their acquiescence in the very sinister idea that one should be required to venerate a war of futile waste shows how degraded they have become, and how ready they are to abandon liberal principles for the politics of simple reaction. Strange (not-strange) how so many cowards flock like moths to the eternal flame.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:37 am

You may think he nailed it, I don't. I get the irony of the free speech/what they were fighting for. It's also about decorum and respect, sadly such things are disappearing.

But then you would be happy to let go of merry christmas, good Friday, etc etc. by watering down yet another traditional Day, one that the entire country can get together on, is always going to piss people off. I am old enough to remember the treatment of Vietnam vets back in the 70's still, (my history knowledge is crap, it could be the movies told me about it, but I do remember a doco, so if it all reconciled before then, I apologise and accept that) and how good it was when they finally got the recognition they deserved.

I find it hard to take you serioulsy on these subjects because you do come across as having very little respect for traditions, for service personnel (and here is the thing, we all hate war, we all think it is wasteful, stupid, irrational, but some times you do indeed have to fight to protect your own, or in defence of others, wether the particular defence is a good or bad thing, wether the reason is secretly oil blah blah blah, is not in this discussion, but I thought I'd mention it!) and we all know you don't believe in religion of any kind, as is your right. I won't bore you with telling you who defends those rights!

While I'm not going to get a massive Anzac tattoo on my chest as one of my nephews did, I really enjoy Anzac Day, and I even watch the occasional doco around this time. Even when it's not Anzac Day, if I see an old digger with his medals somewhere, I will tell him "thankyou for your service". It costs nothing, and it brightens their day. And anyway, I mean it. Many of My family in England have a service background, both my parents did. I know the personal cost. I won't bore you with the details, and even though Anzac Day is not about them, it is to me, it's a day to remember not just the fallen, but the damaged, and those left behind.

It's an Aussie, and Kiwi thing. I'm sure wherever she comes from has national days. Go to her country and try what she tried, you won't just get public condemnation I'm guessing.

Fact is, if she wasn't a media person, her illtimed tweet would have gone unnoticed, aside from her Aussie friends being upset, but she has a public pedestal and She deliberately used it to put her own political agenda forward, and she would have known it would annoy people. Yes she's entitled to do that. And the public is entitled to turn on her.

I really don't want to live in some vanilla place, where we all keep quite about historical stuff for fear of upsetting someone. I like Christmas, I like Anzac Day. While I'm not going to celebrate Passover anytime soon, I'm not going to trample on it either, and that's what she did. It wasn't accidental. and since we are still talking about it, she's succeeded, and if it backfires on her, tough titties.

Might hav been different if she had first said something respectful about the anzacs, but it comes across as a **** you

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:40 am

Where do you think "her country" is? She's lived here since she was 2.

Saying stupid things doesn't preclude her from being an "Aussie" - in fact, it's fair to say that it's a time-honoured tradition.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:46 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Where do you think "her country" is? She's lived here since she was 2.

Saying stupid things doesn't preclude her from being an "Aussie" - in fact, it's fair to say that it's a time-honoured tradition.

Yeah fair point. But just like warm beer some of us hang onto home more than others, she seems to!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:15 pm

And, in a disturbing development for proponents of freedom of speech in connection with Anzac Day, here is my son's band doing their song "Rats of Tobruk" from last month's CD. I have no idea what most of the words are (which is almost certainly a good thing) but I can tell you that the lad's guitar solo on this track is from about 3 m 17 s to 3 m 42 s.

https://www.hellfirerecordsaustralia.com/guillotyne
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:51 pm

this could go in a number of threads, but here seems as good as any.

Quote:
The New York Times accuses conservatives of provoking violence by recklessly and openly … speaking at universities.

Seriously

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/tim-blair/putting-themselves-in-volatile-situations/news-story/6bf79ae5888335fb9b4ee8b0274800be?from=htc_rss

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Conservatives should know that their views are not required. Their speech kills.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
And, in a disturbing development for proponents of freedom of speech in connection with Anzac Day, here is my son's band doing their song "Rats of Tobruk" from last month's CD. I have no idea what most of the words are (which is almost certainly a good thing) but I can tell you that the lad's guitar solo on this track is from about 3 m 17 s to 3 m 42 s.

https://www.hellfirerecordsaustralia.com/guillotyne

Not bad. maybe it was my speakers but the sound quality chopped in and out a bit.

Guitar solo was good and that singer shows promise. Once he hits puberty that is, Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: