Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Freedom of speech just not on Anzac Day, thanks.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that. My time the RSL would not allow Vietnam Vets to march because the RSL did not consider the Vietnam war to be a war?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Sorry WPT, my line about authoritarianism wasn't addressed at you it's about the sentiment, spoken or unspoken, and how it's acted upon. I simply reject that there's a wrong time to argue a political point.
HAL 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:38 pm

There is no need to apologize. When was this exactly?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 pm

David wrote:
Likewise, if you can get sacked from your job merely for voicing a political opinion on your Facebook page, then that's a serious incursion on freedom of expression what's known as a chilling effect. Particularly when that employer happens to be a government-funded media organisation and there's a chance that its funding might be dependent on how it responds to incidents like these. So no, freedom of speech does mean freedom from certain consequences, and I think one's livelihood being threatened is pretty high up there.

I also don't buy this argument that it's ok to criticise Anzac Day on every other day of the year but that we should hold our peace on the 25th of April. #@& that. Don't impose your feelings of reverence on others. If our soldiers have fought for anything useful over the past 100 years, it's the right to be free of such jackbooted authoritarianism.

Seriously you have no fckn idea - if you work for Government agencies there are very strict rules as to what you can and cannot post on social media and there are consequences and people have lost their jobs - better people than this jumped up attention seeking wannabe FFS.

Dont impose your feelings of irrelevance and lack of respect for the military on others - it's our right to be free of such ill informed bullshite!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Morrigu wrote:
it's our right to be free of such ill informed bullshite!!

No, it's not.

Sorry, let me say that again.

No, it's not.

As for public servants, I don't agree with a lot of the restrictions on what they are allowed to say, but that's irrelevant in this context she is not a public servant, but, in fact, a paid political commentator.

Oh, and by the way, just for the record, I checked again and you still don't have the right to be free from dissenting opinions.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:55 pm

^ paid for by the Australian tax payer!

Oh and by the way I just checked again and you don't have the right to be free from dissenting opinions either!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:23 am

David do you think she timed this on purpose for the reaction? Why else would She do it? If she did is the outcry fair in your mind?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 am

David wrote:
Sorry WPT, my line about authoritarianism wasn't addressed at you it's about the sentiment, spoken or unspoken, and how it's acted upon. I simply reject that there's a wrong time to argue a political point.

In a vacuum I'd agree with you however we do not live in a vacuum.

I would be pissed off if say the usual morons tried to debate that the holocaust never happened on holocaust memorial day for example.

I rarely agree with the nutter from Tasmania Abetz but I agree she lacked self control. I would not discuss the merits or otherwise of anti muslim policies say on muslim holy days either. Not the right time & shows ego / self righteousness rather than debate.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 am

Morrigu wrote:
^ paid for by the Australian tax payer!

Oh and by the way I just checked again and you don't have the right to be free from dissenting opinions either!

Yes, that's how this is supposed to work. Smile

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:28 am

think positive wrote:
David do you think she timed this on purpose for the reaction? Why else would She do it? If she did is the outcry fair in your mind?

I think she's naive & I don't necessarily disagree with all her of her content.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:40 am

think positive wrote:

It's probably no more sinister than the fact that it was Anzac Day and therefore the topic on most people's minds, and this was her (perhaps slightly glib/immature) response to it.

Having said that, I have no problem with people being deliberately provocative, and no problem with people being criticised accordingly. What I do have a problem with is self-righteous posturing like that expressed by government politicians and the front cover of the Telegraph. It smacks of overreaction, virtue-signalling and perhaps some more sinister motivations given Abdel-Magied's dual status as a Muslim and a migrant.

What's clear is that, for all the right's mockery of oversensitive leftists, they certainly don't seem to like it much when the boot is on the other foot. Perhaps Yassmin's post should have come with a trigger warning.

Last edited by David on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 am

Not much more.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

It's probably no more sinister than the fact that it was Anzac Day and therefore the topic on most people's minds, and this was her (perhaps slightly glib/immature) response to it.

Having said that, I have no problem with people being deliberately provocative, and no problem with people being criticised accordingly. What I do have a problem with is self-righteous posturing like that expressed by government politicians and the front cover of the Telegraph. It smacks of overreaction, virtue-signalling and perhaps some more sinister motivations given Abdel-Magied's dual status as a Muslim and a migrant.

What's clear is that, for all the right's mockery of easily offended leftists, they certainly don't seem to like it much when the boot is on the other foot.

Good response. The bolded bit is exactly the hypocrisy that your thread alludes to.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:28 am

^ ^ I actually agree with your view, David. While there are limits, people are entitled to say what they think without having their employment ended as a result.

The fact that I think she's an obnoxious exhibitionist, making a career out of slighting sacrifice and courage that she will never understand, on behalf of alien and demagogic religious ideology, does not change the fundamental point that Australians have the right to express their views as long as they do not negate or harm the purpose or reputation of their employer. The ABC does have a responsibility to reflect free debate, and this was within that envelope.

Thanks for the bait re Vietnam, WPT, but it can float downstream.

The question, as ever, is why we are admitting to this country a large group of people who do not relate to the sacrifices of our national story, and thus will inevitably think like her, until one day the war memorials are torn down, the institutions of liberty degraded, and our politics as squalid and shabby as many of the benighted places that aspired to our condition of freedom and prosperity.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:02 am; edited 2 times in total
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:42 am

Nearly every ABC news or commentary program I see is ended with "You can follow me on twitter ofr Facebook". If you choose those poisons and encourage them expect a backlash if you piss a lot of people off. The sooner someone invents a time machine and goes back and points out the benefits to Zuckerberg and co such as a Thai man hanging his 11 month old daughter on Facebook the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: