Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

UK Election June 8th

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, here's some disastrous news for May: the Scottish Conservatives, who hold 13 seats, are signalling their opposition to Britain leaving the EU, even stronger opposition to the forthcoming alliance with the DUP, and threatening to form a breakaway party. Might have to get the popcorn out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/09/ruth-davidson-planning-scottish-tory-breakaway-challenges-theresa/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Quote:
Ruth Davidson is to defy Theresa May’s plans for a hard Brexit and tear her Scottish party away from English control after the UK Tories’ disastrous General Election result.

Fresh from her success in winning an extra 12 Scottish seats in Thursday’s election, at the same time as the Prime Minister was losing 21 constituencies in England, Ms Davidson also vowed to use her Commons votes to prioritise the single market over curbing immigration.

Ms Davidson also signalled her opposition to Mrs May’s deal with the DUP in blunt fashion by tweeting a link to the same-sex marriage lecture she gave at Amnesty's Pride lecture in Belfast last year.

She is engaged to Jen Wilson, an Irish Catholic Christian who campaigned during the Republic's same-sex marriage referendum, is a practising Christian herself and has said she would like to get married in a local church.

Her views could not be further from those of the DUP, a staunch opponent of same-sex marriage and supporter of the “traditional” definition of marriage. Last night, Ms Davidson said she had sought and received assurances from the Prime Minister that she would try to advance gay rights in Northern Ireland despite the DUP's record.

Lest anyone accuse Ms Davidson of opportunism, it's probably worth pointing out that her party's outstanding performance in Scotland vs the SNP is probably the only reason that the Conservatives are still in power at all – take those twelve seats away and Labour and the SNP would be able to form government with Plaid Cymru, Greens and Liberal Democrat support.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 am

^ yes, that's an example of what I meant in my post above.

Ms. Davidson wants to be a bit careful, though - most of the British public see expansions in gay rights as a very marginal matter, compared to the country-defining matters that lie immediately ahead.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:25 am

RudeBoy wrote:
As usual these days, I reckon Jonathon Pie sums up the situation nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGVghRBdKI

Well, maybe, except nothing he said between the gratuitous f-words was even slightly true. Take the first four substantive sentences :

1. The U.K. Election was fair and open and conducted within a free society. Nothing like Turkey, in other words, as he hyperbolizes.

2. Whatever May's faults -and they are many - she does not "propose to steamroll every f.....g liberty we have" any more than Corbyn, and neither probably propose that much ( though the history of Corbyn's Marxist ideology is ground for suspicion on that point). People who live in free societies should not be flippant about it.

3. "She lost, he won" .... not true by 60 seats.

4 "Two conservative PMs in two years have gone to the country arrogantly believing that they can dictate how the people should vote". I can't imagine or recall a political leader from either party ever saying "I don't really mind how you vote"

I'll give up processing it from the fourth sentence, but having listened to the end, i found that it remained arrogant, unfunny and flat wrong throughout. It is too easy to accept something as true if it is presented with boundless self-certainty and does not challenge our underlying world-view.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:56 am

Mugwump wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As usual these days, I reckon Jonathon Pie sums up the situation nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGVghRBdKI

Well, maybe, except nothing he said between the gratuitous f-words was even slightly true. Take the first four substantive sentences :

1. The U.K. Election was fair and open and conducted within a free society. Nothing like Turkey, in other words, as he hyperbolizes.

2. Whatever May's faults -and they are many - she does not "propose to steamroll every f.....g liberty we have" any more than Corbyn, and neither probably propose that much ( though the history of Corbyn's Marxist ideology is ground for suspicion on that point). People who live in free societies should not be flippant about it.

3. "She lost, he won" .... not true by 60 seats.

4 "Two conservative PMs in two years have gone to the country arrogantly believing that they can dictate how the people should vote". I can't imagine or recall a political leader from either party ever saying "I don't really mind how you vote"

I'll give up processing it from the fourth sentence, but having listened to the end, i found that it remained arrogant, unfunny and flat wrong throughout. It is too easy to accept something as true if it is presented with boundless self-certainty and does not challenge our underlying world-view.

Mugwump it was satire for goodness sake Rolling Eyes My goodness me trying to deconstruct over the top humour? Lighten up.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Nope, it was mindless political propaganda trying to sneak around the back in bad camouflage. Satire is only satirical when it has a powerful truth behind it. John Clarke - also a Leftist - was a profound master at this. He actually nailed things with a remorseless logic and wit. He described satire, with his usual whimsical genius, as "exposing the way in which the powerful hold the powerless up to ridicule and contempt". Truth is at the core of great satire, and since this was presented as having "nailed it", I thought it was worth thinking critically about it for a minute. This rubbish influences minds far more than reasoned argument, as I am sure you know. I'd have felt the same about it if it had come from the right, too.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:00 am

Final Results

Turnout = 68.7% (highest turnout since the 1997 election when Blair was elected).

Conservatives = 317 (42.4%)
Labour = 262 (40.0%)
SNP = 35 (3%)
Lib Dems = 12 (7.4%)
DUP = 10 (0.9%)
Sinn Fein = 7 (0.8%)
Plaid Cymru = 4 (0.5%)
Green = 1 (1.6%)

Need 326 to form government.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: