Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 2 - Essendon vs Collingwood at Windy Hill

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our #vflmagpies best: Tardrew, Chippendale, Wills, Aish, Scharenberg, Kelly.

Not sure about that.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Wow, that was a shite game to watch.

I only saw the last 10 mins of the first quarter & the next two quarters. Left at 3/4 time.

Sat in the stands very close to the Pies or visitors rooms. What a shitty little ground.

The only highlight was the beautiful day & a beautiful day for riding my bike to and from Windy Hill (50 km's). Barely a breeze although Mt Alexander Road between Moonee Ponds Junction & the Tullamarine entrance is shitful to ride on.

Oh the game: the worry I have is that Rivers is going to be a coaching clone of those who employ him. Accordingly, that might mean he has to (like the players) be a slave to format; show little creativity, & make it looks awfully like soccer with: going back, sideways, prop, look static, look static some more then when all available options have been covered make a mistake because the pressure is now on the pies players rather than vica-versa despite the Pies having the friggin' ball to start with.

I don't feel well & I want to be excited for Tuesday's game.

Last edited by watt price tully on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:12 pm

What a disgraceful effort Collingwood. Probably the best Reserves list of player depth I have seen since 1976 (hello Johnny Wise) and with Senior spots up for the taking, we get rolled by 80 points. Pathetic.
barrackers 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:17 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Is that you, barrackers? If so, please allow me to be the first to officially welcome you to Nick's Bulletin Board, the Gotham City of the online Collingwood world!

If not, well, then see above anyway... Smile

Thanks MB, yep one and the same. Figure I read both boards, so should post on both boards.

Thoughts on today's game:

The ground was very heavy under foot with the grass quite long and damp, which in a way explains the lack of clean footy for both teams. The umps had a bad day and were terrible both ways, even the players were confused. Overall I didn't think the scoreboard reflected the closeness of the contest and I thought we generally broke even in the midfield and without seeing the stats I'd guess that the inside 50 count was similar. Our lack of key positions players and an inability to find the right structure/balance hurt. I liked that we swung Dunn forward for the third quarter even if it didn't work, White likewise on a wing before he found more success as a ruck in the last quarter, Keeffe in defence for a quarter and a half and McLarty as a forward in the last quarter. In saying that we continually kicked the footy on the heads of our forwards despite them conceding centimetres on their Essendon defender and conversely the Essendon forwards took advantage of our shorter backline. The experienced Bellchambers also out muscled our rucks. Today is what happens when you trade or delist all your depth Witts, Brown, Frost, Cloke, Marsh... and don't replace them.

Crocker - competed well out of the goal square albeit he struggled against a close checking taller opponent who was able to effectively spoil time and time again. I thought he looked better when given more freedom to roam late in the game.

Mayne - the only positive to take from the game is that he got himself into good positions, unfortunately he was very fumbly and dropped at least half a dozen marks despite getting both hands to the footy. Had in found clean hands today he could easily have had 4-5 more shots on goal.

Daicos - started the game with a strapped ankle, which extended up his leg as the game went on. Very clearly has class and poise, but he didn't get as much footy today. In terms of not being AFL ready he's still lacking a bit of core strength, which at times sees him pushed off the ball/contest too easily.

McLarty - not as strong with his marking today thanks to Essendon pressure, but got in good spots in defence. Looked lost as a forward, but I wouldn't give up on that idea after 1 performance

Lynch - like McLarty also got in good spots, but unlike McLarty it seemed a lack of strength through his body was his underdoing. Something to work with, but will need another preseason or 2 before judging more

Thomas - struggled in the first half, but was one of our better players in the second half with some nice clearances and use of his pace

Blair - with more midfield time today was better than his VFL performance a fortnight ago that seen him named as an AFL emergency and ultimately play against St Kilda, but I expect more from him at this level

Oxley - like Blair I expect more from him at this level, but at the same time he's an outside player who plays at his best when others are getting the ball out to him and we lack experienced bodies

DeGoey - played mostly half forward and his effort today can't be faulted. Really tried his guts out and looked a class above in his attack on the footy and taking the game on.

Aish - done a few nice things, but really needs to do it more consistently

Brown - best footy I've seen from him, albeit he really only had a few nice passages of play, which were up around the middle of the ground where he was under to twist, turn, take the game/opponents on and clear the footy.

Keeffe - his best today came when he was in the backline with some nice spoils, he got out played a few times down back, but really he hasn't played that role for a couple of years, so I think he's worth persisting with in defence

Scharenberg - looked a class above with his marking on a few occasions, but he seemed to be in and out of the game

Dunn - undoubtedly he's a real general on the ground. Didn't work as a forward in the third quarter albeit he didn't see much footy

White - typical White game. He presented well, but often found himself against 2 opponents. I liked that we tried him on wing and even though this didn't work he finished the game as number 1 ruck and played his best footy late

Out of the our VFL players I thought Chippendale and Woodward were our best, with Tardrew also getting a fair bit of the footy. On the magpie who never was, Stewart took a few nice grabs, but he really lacks game awareness often finding himself in no mans land.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 pm

barrackers wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
Is that you, barrackers? If so, please allow me to be the first to officially welcome you to Nick's Bulletin Board, the Gotham City of the online Collingwood world!

If not, well, then see above anyway... Smile

Thanks MB, yep one and the same. Figure I read both boards, so should post on both boards.

Great to have you aboard! Smile

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks for the commentary MB and fantastic report Barrackers!

Good to have you on the forum.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Did anyone put their hand up??
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Didn't see it, didn't stream it or I didn't read MB live postings.
Glad I didn't because it has a wisp of death about what was reported.
You know you like to see something interesting at the VFL.
A good player coming back from injury, some young up and coming stars, some good wins when the firsts are down.
Anything of interest to those who were there?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:11 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Didn't see it, didn't stream it or I didn't read MB live postings.
Glad I didn't because it has a wisp of death about what was reported.
You know you like to see something interesting at the VFL.
A good player coming back from injury, some young up and coming stars, some good wins when the firsts are down.
Anything of interest to those who were there?

Yeah, sat in the stands close to "our rooms". An older bloke behind me was taking notes. Struck up a conversation. He was scouting VFL for St Kilda. Flet sorry for some of the Collingwood players though as it would be hard for anyone to do OK in the VFL team today.

That was interesting & he was right.

Wink

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:48 am

The stats...

https://twitter.com/AFLReserves/status/856140256243965952

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:57 am

The replay, for those who want to torture themselves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBj16bneFo

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 am

Would it be the right call to say that Dunn and Scharenberg are the closest to an AFL call up? With Mayne next?

And De Goey a certain call up when his suspension is over?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 am

Presti35 wrote:
Would it be the right call to say that Dunn and Scharenberg are the closest to an AFL call up? With Mayne next?

And De Goey a certain call up when his suspension is over?

Dunn - definitely.
Scharenberg - not so sure about as it was hard to tell in the game yesterday - didn't get heaps of the ball some nice marks though as has been noted & some lovely kicks however I need to be convinced about his agility & pace.
DeGoey - lay down misere
Mayne - highly likely

So good call Presti

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 am

Cheers WPT.

I wonder who'll make way for De Goey when he returns?

I'd like to see Dunn in soon, but I dont know how to restructure the backline, unless we send Reid forward? (Same for the Berg I guess).

I'm confused with Mayne. I think he should be in the best 22, but with Elliott back and WHE playing well, where do you fit him?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: