Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Sidebottom & Fasolo

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Swap for Daniel Rich? Rich kicks it a mile. Turned 27 last month. Maybe a swap of first round draft picks as well (probably a swap of 1 for 3). We get Rich and Pick 1, they get Sidebottom and Pick 3.

Daniel Rich??? one of the most overrated players available now with a grumpy man bun.

www.facebook/the hybernators
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:28 am

Trade them for what ?
Picks in this years draft dont have many talls which we need.
Not all midfielders should play inside. Sidey is a genuine two way runner and has been damaging at the centre square off half back.
If we are not getting something better in terms of our needs in return then really why bother.
What we need is a tall and the best two that COULD be available will be Free agents.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:00 am

Out of the 2 Fasolo is more likely to be traded i would think , Sidey gives a lot more.

www.facebook/the hybernators
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
If Treloar is worth 2 first round picks, Sidey is worth 4.

I think we should trade him, though - he's good enough to win a couple of Norm Smith Medals and he's plainly not going to get the chance to do that at Collingwood.

It's comments like these that make me believe that stand up comedy is still alive and kicking.
We over paid for Treloar he wasn't and isn't worth 2 X 1st round picks. Whoever signed off on that deal should be sacked.
In all seriousness we can't trade Sidey as I've said before there's no win in it for us.
At the end of this season he will be in the same position Dangerfield was at the Crows (restricted free agent) with 1 exception Dangerfield was out of contract and Sidey has 4yrs to run on a overly generous contract.
The Crows had the right to match any offer made for Dangerfield but knew 2yrs later he could walk as a free agent and they would get nothing so they took pick 9 and a player.
So a elite player like Dangerfield who has won every individual award going around is worth pick 9 and a player.
Conversely Sidey has won no individual awards or been close to winning any so why would any club give up a 1st round pick then have to take on his contract in terms of length and size. It wouldn't happen

Interesting if you look at the new ranking positions if the 2008 draft was done at the end of 2016 the 3 biggest movers up the drafting order were Hannebury from 30 to 1 Beams from 29 to 3 and Sloane from 44 to 4 and Tom Boyd dropped from 1 to 15
Sidey went from 11 to 10
He won't be traded because we would end up with a pick in the very high teens at absolute best more likely 20's (due to the size and length of his contract) and that pick wouldn't land us any KPP of any note.
The only chance of getting a top 10 pick with Sidey involved in the trade would most likely be Sidey + a player + some upgrade 2nd or 3rd round draft picks in coming years or Sidey + player + 2nd round pick might get us a top 10 pick
Faz would bring a 2nd round pick so we met as well trade him (if we are looking for trades) because it ends up the same result as reading Sidey.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I think we should trade him, though - he's good enough to win a couple of Norm Smith Medals and he's plainly not going to get the chance to do that at Collingwood.

How about he tries to win just 1 Copeland first hasn't happened in 8yrs yet & wont happen this year (Pendles would near be a lock for his 6th)
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:17 pm

The Sack will retire at years end, a loyal servant, make him an assistant coach, very popular guy. Fas id give one more season, and I'm not rapt on trading Sidey, but there will be delistments, as long as we get a top young forward with our first pick In the draft, and maybe lure sam reid too, I'm a happy camper.!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:52 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

It's comments like these that make me believe that stand up comedy is still alive and kicking.
We over paid for Treloar he wasn't and isn't worth 2 X 1st round picks. Whoever signed off on that deal should be sacked.
In all seriousness we can't trade Sidey as I've said before there's no win in it for us.
At the end of this season he will be in the same position Dangerfield was at the Crows (restricted free agent) with 1 exception Dangerfield was out of contract and Sidey has 4yrs to run on a overly generous contract.
The Crows had the right to match any offer made for Dangerfield but knew 2yrs later he could walk as a free agent and they would get nothing so they took pick 9 and a player.
So a elite player like Dangerfield who has won every individual award going around is worth pick 9 and a player.
Conversely Sidey has won no individual awards or been close to winning any so why would any club give up a 1st round pick then have to take on his contract in terms of length and size. It wouldn't happen

Interesting if you look at the new ranking positions if the 2008 draft was done at the end of 2016 the 3 biggest movers up the drafting order were Hannebury from 30 to 1 Beams from 29 to 3 and Sloane from 44 to 4 and Tom Boyd dropped from 1 to 15
Sidey went from 11 to 10
He won't be traded because we would end up with a pick in the very high teens at absolute best more likely 20's (due to the size and length of his contract) and that pick wouldn't land us any KPP of any note.
The only chance of getting a top 10 pick with Sidey involved in the trade would most likely be Sidey + a player + some upgrade 2nd or 3rd round draft picks in coming years or Sidey + player + 2nd round pick might get us a top 10 pick
Faz would bring a 2nd round pick so we met as well trade him (if we are looking for trades) because it ends up the same result as reading Sidey.

Do like your sense of humour QLD. Treloar knockers on the deal do need constant reminding that we got back GWS 2nd rounder, so do you call it:

Treloar for 1.5 first round draft picks?? It's how I look like it. That said, we did parcel up that GWS return pick with our Freeman 2nd pick from St. Kilda and used it on Aish!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:56 pm

The end of this season he will be in the same position Dangerfield was at the Crows restricted free agent with 1 exception Dangerfield was out of contract and Sidey has 4yrs to run on a is where it's at.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:06 pm

You don't go trading out a quality footballer unless you can " guarantee " that a quality kid is coming into the club as a return.
The under 18 championships finish today and the general feeling is that what was on view, is fairly " underwhelming ".
A top 10 should be ok but after that it falls away.
There are more talls available this year ( especially compared to last year ) but most are seen as more speculative than 200 gamers. The best tall is locked away as a lions academy pick anyway, so that's already one less to pick from.
This confirms the thinking as to why so many clubs were prepared to trade away their early round picks for the upcoming draft.
I'm all for giving something up to get something back but there are plenty of talent spotters out there who aren't convinced the quality is in this years draft.

As for Fasalo, if he had kicked with his usual accuracy, he would have had a reasonable year for a stay at home small forward in the modern game. Not sure why you want to give that up to roll the dice on a second round pick.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm

INXS that's a fair way to look at things really. But even at 1.5 I still think it set a unrealistic value on the guy. The part that annoyed me was we got into a pissing match with Richmond who were desparate to land him. We could have used both those 1st round picks (both top 10) on some talls. It wasn't like we were desaparate for more midfielders really.
The St Kilda Freeman deal isn't a win really because we gave pick 10 for him got back pick 26 which we then traded to the Lions as part of the Aish deal. I guess we did OK from it as at least Aish is playing. Freeman hasn't yet played a senior game and with there midfield depth now he's unlikely to unless injuries occur and he is actually fit at the time. He's on the last year of his deal and I'm guessing he won't be retained at this stage.

The Sidey debate is a mute point because it simply won't happen there isn't any value in it for the club unless some one like Adelaide or Freo or West Coast (who all need outside running mids) come knocking with a great deal that might include a tall we can use straight away. Will that happen probably not Freo have stated they are going to the draft, Adelaide have Lever coming off who may look to go but they would want way more than Sidey in that trade and West Coast seem likely to go to the draft more so than trade and if they did again we would want a KPF in the deal.

I said at the time of his newest deal it was wrong you don't go handing out longterm deals to players who aren't absolute elite talent and he's not that by a long stretch. Pendles sure give him whatever he asks form, Grundy absolutely give him a long deal, Moore sure do it Swanny when he was playing absolutely but not players who aren't in that echelon of talent it makes no sense at all. Would have been better off telling his manager to go test the market place out and see what offers came in. I'm betting they wouldn't have found a 5yr deal anywhere else considering the talent that's been off contract since he signed and what's off now and next year. Clubs would rather wait 1 more year than hand over a stupid deal for a player who isn't going to be that match winner every week they look for like a Dangerfield or Kelly or Martin
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

I said at the time of his newest deal it was wrong you don't go handing out longterm deals to players who aren't absolute elite talent and he's not that by a long stretch.

You are way too harsh on Sidey.
You have already had to eat some humble pie several times in your over the top criticism.
His 5 year deal at 500k, indexed or not, is incredible value for Collingwood relative to other signings over the last 3-4 years.
He is in the leadership group, a premiership player, durable and loyal.

Mayne and Greenwood are almost on the same money.
Please keep your Sidebottom comments in perspective.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:48 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

I said at the time of his newest deal it was wrong you don't go handing out longterm deals to players who aren't absolute elite talent and he's not that by a long stretch.

You are way too harsh on Sidey.
You have already had to eat some humble pie several times in your over the top criticism.
His 5 year deal at 500k, indexed or not, is incredible value for Collingwoodj relative to other signings over the last 3-4 years.
He is in the leadership group, a premiership player, durable and loyal.

Mayne and Greenwood are almost on the same money.
Please keep your Sidebottom comments in perspective.

CC I wouldn't say I've had to eat humble pie at all. My criticism has been and will always be around his consistency not ability. His contract reported is $650k a year so IMO that's on the high side of average earnings.
My comments about his contract would be the same if the club offered any player other than Pendles Grundy Moore or Treloar a deal over 2/3yrs when there is no market force to do so. Check my comments in regards to Mayne and Wells thought they were to long and to much.
Midfielders are a dime a dozen really. Yes some are better than others and some are absolute match winners. Sidey can be this but again he isn't on a consistent basis hence my criticism
The comments about trade isn't about his ability it's about the market and his value on the market which would be hampered by the length and terms of his deal.
I didn't say we should trade him and I thought I made it clear I wouldn't trade him because the club (who I support not Sidey) wouldn't win from it
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:57 pm

A quick 15 second google search reveals:

Compare

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/steele-sidebottom-set-to-sign-275m-deal-to-stay-at-collingwood/news-story/3d601859c6dee8b3f3e9bfcc6ec4c430

with

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/brisbane/daniel-rich-signs-fiveyear-deal-worth-3-million-to-stay-at-brisbane/news-story/d951d6fb29875188104e3445a5d9ea56

Now do you really want me to search for some of your more emotional comments about Sidey?

Consistency? Seriously?
2016 Copeland: 3rd
2015 Copeland: 5th
2014 Copeland: 2nd
2013 Copeland: 3rd
2012 Copeland: 4th

Last edited by CarringbushCigar on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm

I agree. Fasolo is finished. We need excitement like a Kirby as a crumbed.Same size nearly. I don't think you can have Elliot and Fasolo in the same team.Sidebottom should not be dealt with the same way as Cloke was.He still has some currency and as another poster said he is superfluous to our needs and his disposal is deplorable. He may get 35 possession in a game but 20 will go directly to the opposition.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
A quick 15 second google search reveals:

Compare

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/steele-sidebottom-set-to-sign-275m-deal-to-stay-at-collingwood/news-story/3d601859c6dee8b3f3e9bfcc6ec4c430

with

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/brisbane/daniel-rich-signs-fiveyear-deal-worth-3-million-to-stay-at-brisbane/news-story/d951d6fb29875188104e3445a5d9ea56

Now do you really want me to search for some of your more emotional comments about Sidey?

What's a 275m deal ??
Everyone gets overs at the Lions mate look at Beams deal wasn't it 6yrs at around $900k ? Really when you consider what Pendles and Swan were or are on that would be miles over as well
Search all you wish CC I stand by all my comments regarding Sidey.
I don't consider him elite nor do I consider Treloar elite nor Beams but there personal opinions and I won't change them until I feel it's deserved
But we can go back and forth forever mate I would prefer our debates to be about things that actually might happen (Sidey being traded won't happen)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10   

Jump to: