Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training report 13th April

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
W L , you're a jet.

F W I W, I have good contacts down at the cattery who have long said that one of Sandersons strengths was his ability to make footy fun and enjoyable for the players. They all reckon he was a big loss and I have no doubt will prove to be the ying to Buckleys yang.

And yet it was the Crows players that voted him off the island...

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Makes me miss my home state and the gorgeous Yarra Valley. We camped there a lot when I was a kid. Actually, we'd be there now as we often went for the Easter hols. Lovely piece of writing WL, and a great round-up of how everyone is traveling.
I'm interested in your thoughts on Sier, Haven't seen him at all since we took him with our first pick. He hardly gets a mention on VFL descriptions. What's he look like? What are his strengths? Kale Kirby sounds like a bargain pick up, his kicking sounds like something we could use.
Good luck & good health to you & the missus.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 pm

You have a wonderful gift Warburton Lad: you transport the reader as though they were there with you observing & enjoying.

Thank you good sir.

(I'm not sure why Magpie Bat wants you in an institution though)?

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 am

watt price tully wrote:
You have a wonderful gift Warburton Lad: you transport the reader as though they there with you observing & enjoying.

Thank you good sir.

Exactly! It's like we are there with you actually I can smell the grass of the Holden Centre.and I am 16000km away!..... Thanks again and all the best with looking after your Mrs.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:48 am

In answer to the question on Sier. He looks an imposing physical specimen and participated strongly in the drills. As a 19 year old , 191 cm and 89kg midfielder, he is more than ready for senior combat. It's easy to forget this lad is just 19. His tank has certainly improved since last April where he struggled with the requirements of the running.

He is strong over the ball and marked surely at training yesterday. Hard to see where he fits into the mix. Perhaps a strong wingman type although Phillips has him covered for running capacity and the likes of Varcoe are far more damaging with the ball..

He is a thumping kick on the run so might be useful off half back.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:55 am

My guess is the Bontempelli role ie. inside contested mid earmarked for Sier.
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 am

gurugeoff wrote:
"As I head back to the Yarra Valley, I ponder at length at how much weight we put on the efforts of these earnest young men who wear the Black and White"

yes, we do. You need to be passionate about something in life.

My dad passed away last year, and following and discussing the Pies was probably the major conversation point with him over the last 40 years. It binds generations together.

My old man has been dead for over 30 years and yes it does cross generations and if you love the Black n Whites the bond is universal and you have friends and comrades everywhere

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Your insights and analyses are always second to none Laddy, and much appreciated by all of us, especially those unable (or unwilling) to attend training sessions. When you get a chance, would you mind sharing your thoughts on young Kirby? Bucks recently said that he was a mile away from senior selection, the implication, to me anyway, being that he was no where near fit enough atm. I realise that it was just one training session, but have you got any impressions on Kirby to share with us. Love your work Laddy.
Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks for sharing Warby Lad. From your efforts, we are all wiser human beings.

I too would like to know more about Kirby's fitness. Rudey, I think he's being kept on the honest side of the ledger for a reason, if those previous comments from the Coach are anything to go by anyway. It might be that Kirby operates better under those conditions at the moment. Potentially, it could in fact speed up his development. It definitely smells that way in my opinion. Varcoe and Wells are taking a shining to him now also.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Your insights and analyses are always second to none Laddy, and much appreciated by all of us, especially those unable (or unwilling) to attend training sessions. When you get a chance, would you mind sharing your thoughts on young Kirby? Bucks recently said that he was a mile away from senior selection, the implication, to me anyway, being that he was no where near fit enough atm. I realise that it was just one training session, but have you got any impressions on Kirby to share with us. Love your work Laddy.

Thank you Mr Rude Boy. Your complements are very humbling.

Buckley is best position d to comment on team selections, of course.

My view is that he ( Kirby) is far closer than has perhaps been indicated by the senior coach. His field kicking is precise and the ball travels very quickly to its intended destination. His goal kicking, as described in the training report, would appear to be elite. He has good pace and appears to enjoy 'the hunt' in his approach to laying tackles ( think Goldsack). It was apparent yesterday that both Wells and Varcoe are involved in either formal, or informal mentoring of this lad. Kirby likes to initiate contact in the marking contest and is not fussed by the size or reputation of those he contested against, ( laid a good tackle on Dunn and gave Jack Crisp a fair old bump in one contested situation.

Kirby has more than a touch of Byron Pickett in the way he plays and his handballs are deft and well-weighted, either side. I am clearly a wrap for the way he plays. My only question is where does he fit in if Elliott, Fasolo and Broomhead are in the team. Would love to see him trialled in the midfield in the VFL.

I hope that provides some insight into where Kirby sits. At the end of the day, Bucks will make a call on when and how he is let loose on this competition- trust me, I think Kirby will be an excitement machine when he is given the green light. Floreat Pica.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Warburton Lad's report is not only eloquent and poetic, it is very informative. This report is of high journalistic standard, and I'm not talking Caro's muckraking stuff. I'm talking Patrick Smith or even Martin Flanagan.

I have a question for WL, our first draft pick this year was McLarty. Any signs yet? Potential? Future?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Great job WL. Much appreciated.
CoastPie Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Awesome report Warburton Lad, have dourly missed your reports, glad to have you back.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Warburton Lad's report is not only eloquent and poetic, it is very informative. This report is of high journalistic standard, and I'm not talking Caro's muckraking stuff. I'm talking Patrick Smith or even Martin Flanagan.

I have a question for WL, our first draft pick this year was McLarty. Any signs yet? Potential? Future?

Thank you Mr harrysz. I was taught by Patrick Smith's brother, Paul. This is as close as I will ever get to that great writer on football and life, I'm afraid.

Your question on Mclarty is timely as my good friend Dave O'd just messaged me from his holidays in the Bahamas with a similar question.

McLarty is not 19 for another fortnight, but is an impressive specimen at 197 cm and 91kgs, but a frame which could comfortably add another 5kilograms over the season if managed well.

I would be surprised if he debuted this year, however, you also asked about his future and his potential. There were three occasions yesterday in the match simulation which required him to run back with the flight of the ball (twice) and lay off the ball to a teammate knowing he would have a solid contact from an opponent (White). That he did so on each occasion without a moment's hesitation demonstrated courage and devotion to the cause. Pendlebury and Adams both patted him on the back after he ran back with the flight against an advancing opponent.

Watching him yesterday, he reminded me of, say, a Michael Hartley in his second or third season. He showed pace and a willingness to back himself and his disposal is tidy. He comes from the same junior club as Paul Roos, (Beverley Hills FC)- one hopes he is half as good as the champion from Fitzroy and Sydney became.

With his distinctive helmet, he will be hard to miss in the VFL. I would love to see him alternated in the key defensive posts in 2017 to give him some game time experience against bigger bodies before he debuts.

I hope that satisfies your query, harrysz.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks Lad. Good to hear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: