Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training report 13th April

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:45 pm
Post subject: Training report 13th AprilReply with quote

As the early morning sun struggled to make its mark on the new day, the fog hung like shrouds over the Yarra Valley mountains, like wrapping used by funeral directors on the carcass of Hawthorn's finals aspirations. I rose wearily out of bed. After making Mrs Warburton Lad her breakfast and dispensing her medicines, I made the long journey to the Magpies training fields. The solitude of such journeys is filled with many thoughts, but provide opportunities to reflect on what is to be celebrated in life. Arriving at the Holden Centre, I was pleased to see good numbers of fans in attendance- it's amazing what a spirited win can do for supporters. Hearty cheers greeted the players as they ran onto the perfect playing surface. Neither young nor senior players led the way; there seemed to be a collective urgency to get down to work and impress selectors.

Young Scharenberg looks in wonderful condition and has 'beefed-up' his upper body- let's pray that his body below the waist does not betray him in future. As reported in the press earlier this week, Elliott, Wells and De Goey seem particularly spry. To see Wells dispose of the ball makes one grateful that he has been acquired, even at this late juncture in his football life. Elliott seems confident in his body once again and his 'hang-time' in marking contests is a thing of beauty!!

Ron and John, two Magpie loyalists from way back have arrived by now. They are amazing fans who have followed the Carringbush avidly since the 1940's. These gentle men are a pleasure to watch training with although they depart early to attend a function at Young & Jacksons.

The warm up is intense; bucks , Tarks and Sanderson drilling the ball from close range. Energy levels are high. Dunn most impressive with clean hands. So strange to see players training in leotards: Dunn, Howe, Ramsay and Adams.

At the Yarra end, Kirby, Wells, Cox and Varcoe take shots from a variety of angles and distances. Kirby, ten from ten- this kid never misses; his last one from 65 out sailed over the goal line.

Sadly, Langdon labored his way around the track. Seems a long way off playing firsts.

The team is split into yellow team versus the rest. This is a high-intensity, stunningly Quick handball activity of five versus five. Surprisingly, Cox and Grundy excel at this drill with quick ball movement and impressive lateral movement.

By this stage, the sun is slaking the dew off the surface and the players spell to rehydrate.

Our first choice backline lined up against our first choice forwards. Dunn's drilling kick forward was intercepted sweetly by Schade who switched quickly to the unattended Smith whose piercing pass hit Kirby on the lead.

At the other end of the field it was Grundy versus a young ruckman. Pendles vs Brown, Crisp vs Wills, Wells vs Hoskin-Elliott, Adams vs Daicos. A great test for young players!

At the other end, McLarty played well on Cox; Dunn was everywhere and Elliott had the better of The Ox in a keenly contested duel.

The drills mimic the changes to the nature of our play in 2017: much quick movement and a proclivity to drive the ball forward with a succession of sharp kicks. The younger players Daicos, Wills and a few others were caught up in the frenzied activity and made some basic skill errors under the frenetic pressure.

JEREMY Howe is an exciting player to observe, even at training. His sure marking reminds The Lad of Billy Picken, but Howe is a superb kick in contrast. He really appears to enjoy being a Magpie!

Adams trained brilliantly and it is easy to imagine the richness of our midfield stocks when he, Pendles, Wells, Treloar, Sidebottom, De Goey, Crisp, Hoskin-Elliott, Varcoe and Wills are on deck.

Blair is the ultimate clubman; his continual encouragement of peers showed a willingness to put others before himself.

Goldy's kick ins were mammoth, aided, in part, by the zephyr that flowed through the oval from one end to the other. The veteran seems to be relishing the responsibility and, having enjoyed an uninterrupted preseason ( his first in six years) seems keen to cash in.

Can I just make an observation of Brenton Sanderson? He seems to strike the right balance between riding the forwards hard and having some fun. The players relish this. He worked with Darcy Moore and White on leading patterns which appear changed now that Elliott has been added to the mix. Elliott and Fasolo rotated through full forward and made the smaller defenders work very hard as they are both so adept at one-on-one marking.

Match practice begins in earnest. And the grey team defend stoutly. It is here that Reid truly steps up as the backline general. His intercept marking and marshaling of the troops was fantastic.

Sier and Adams rack up possessions as does Phillips. A poor floating kick sets up a fine spoil on Wells by Howe who drove the ball forward to Elliott who converted.

Sinclair, Langdon and Daicos jog laps as match practice continues unrelentingly.

Kirby, Varcoe and Wells seem to be developing a good working relationship and the two senior players are quick to get around their young Mate when he persists in chasing down an opponent.

At a break in the match simulation, Robert Harvey takes Crisp aside for a quick chat about field position and running patterns.

For those who care about such things, Adams was outstanding, as was Grundy whose tank has increased exponentially since his rookie year. De Goey looked very impressive, too.

Keeffe, Oxley and De Goey pressed the flesh with the crowd after they left to do weights with all the younger players and Josh Thomas. Brayden Sier has fined down considerably, as has Kirby!

The first choice players continued match simulations. They were joined by Dunn, Aish, Scharenberg and Blair. The first five minutes of this was punctuated by spilled marks and butchered kicks ( think Richmond under Wallace). Awful!!

Treloar had a shot on goal whilst Howe did a handstand on the mark- extraordinary.

If workrate at training was everything, Dunn, Mayne, White, Aish & Hoskin-Elliott would be first picked.

At training's end, Harvey spoke at length with Smith, Schade and Maynard. Buckley was very appreciative of Reid's efforts at training and gave him a well-earned pat on the back.

I'm on my way home with my dear and loyal friend, Pies 08. He is a simple man and, as we share a cleansing ale at the Coach & Horses we share a good laugh over fun times spent together at The G watching our beloved Magpies do battle and he confides in me his admiration for the battlers: Patterson, Wild, Tommy Young and his buddy, Terry Keays! We are joined by a couple of his mates, Brendan and Sean two strapping young men who would not be out of place on a 'Manpower' calendar. They display minimal knowledge of Footy but are loyal Collingwood folk who love their club.

As I head back to the Yarra Valley, I ponder at length at how much weight we put on the efforts of these earnest young men who wear the Black and White during the 120 minutes of game time each week. The players, coaches and innumerable background staff put enormous effort in and they all represent their club with pride. The sun is already westering as I near home; its' fingers of light and warmth snaking weakly up the beautiful Yarra Valley. When I enter my home, I will find Mrs Warburton Lad sound asleep in bed with arms akimbo. There and then I will recognize that despite my love of the Magpies, there are always more important people and things in our lives, even than this wonderful game we love. Floreat Pica.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lad yet again an exceptional eloquent report very much appreciated by us magpie fans living in Queensland.
Interested in your comments about Kirby and how he's slimmed down. His goal kicking would seem to be of the highest standard and I wonder if he's to far from a game if a injury arrives.
I personally can't wait to see Shazz in the seniors if he is half the player he's touted as being then we have a real gem on our hands. Let's hope he gets a good run with it.
Wells will make our midfield even better as will the inclusion of JDG in due course.
I think we have the basis of a good team and might just surprise a few as the season unfolds.
Until next time Lad care of the Mrs and may good health and magpie wins be in abundance
mosig 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:03 pm

great write up, thank you for the time & effort!
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Truly brilliant.

Go Pies !
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Great stuff!
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm

"As I head back to the Yarra Valley, I ponder at length at how much weight we put on the efforts of these earnest young men who wear the Black and White"

yes, we do. You need to be passionate about something in life.

My dad passed away last year, and following and discussing the Pies was probably the major conversation point with him over the last 40 years. It binds generations together.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm

fantastic work Lad , I love the poke at the Squawks ,good to hear Dunn did ok along with Kirby any news on Keefe ? I reckon he could be handy up forward over the year?

www.facebook/the hybernators
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:01 pm

What a brilliant piece of writing,Warburton Lad.Poetry on every line.

As Katie said to Hubbel in the The Way We Were.'i love the way you write!' Smile
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm

great post, thanks for sharing, and makes me want to go camping!!
Pieact 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Great read, thanks Warburton Lad
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:46 pm

That was the best ever written training report I have read here on Nicks.

Thankyou WL.

Happy Easter and wishing you and Mrs.WL an abundance of health.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Outstanding WL - Much appreciated.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:01 pm

What a brilliant piece of excellent observation put into such presise wording

Gives me and every one on Nicks everthing we need to know 😃😃😃😃😃

Have said all along so much talent both experience players and uncapped
like Kale Kirby

We are on our way --I have absolutely no doubt

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:08 pm

From another sunshine stater, your reports are incredibly well received and put us in the picture; and what a beautiful picture you paint.

With so many passions in life, it is a joy to share this one with such as you.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:09 pm

You've excelled yourself Lad. Proving again that the pen is mightier than the sword.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: