Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Brown (ex-Richmond) on our recruiting strategy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:
Derek Hine IMV is a very poor List Manager and Recruiter.

If you want to feel better go back and check Gerard Sholly and Noel Judkin's records. 9/11 esque!

Gerard Sholly got a 17 year old Paul Williams at Pick 70 in the draft.

They didn't go so well after the flag though.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 pm

inxs88 wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

If you want to feel better go back and check Gerard Sholly and Noel Judkin's records. 9/11 esque!

Wasn't Judkins recruiting manager at Essendon in the early 90's, when then "Baby Bombers" won the flag??

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:55 pm

makri wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

Wasn't Judkins recruiting manager at Essendon in the early 90's, when then "Baby Bombers" won the flag??

He was at Essendon in the 90's.
Came over to us in about 98.
Konked out in or about 2004 or there abouts.
Was doing a huge job by himself basically
One third of the 2010 flag team came from the recruitment of Judkins.
I have wrtten a number of threads about this area.
Might bump a few in the next few weeks.
Judkins had some duds namely Billy Morrison .
He got a bad wrap from some of these howlers.
But people talk of a Hine special but Judkins smashed him
in this area.

Last edited by thompsoc on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:34 pm

thompsoc wrote:
makri wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

in this area.

Correct me if I am wrong Leon and Didak were Judkins picks.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:10 pm

derkd wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
makri wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

in this area.

Correct me if I am wrong Leon and Didak were Judkins picks.

Yep

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 pm

E wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:

That recruitment everyone is criticising has brought in Treloar, Adams, Howe amongst others. I'll take those thanks. White is s scapegoat for many but he's going OK. Some people talk like a recruit has to be in the top 10 players in the league for it to be a success. Ridiculous.

To get Adams, the club gave away Heath Shaw who is now a dual AA player for GWS.

To get Treloar, the team handed over two 7 picks in the draft.

Our list management has been very poor for years.

no one expected the 2016 pick to be number 7, wasn't it rumored that GWS felt so bad about the Treloar deal that they basically gifted us WHE as compensation?

Wow....pitied by GWS; its come to that

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Tezza23 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 pm

I believe Judkins was to Collingwood as Malthouse was to Carlton. Remind me how did Judkins finish at Collingwood ? Wasn't he allegedly sending draft information to another club while still employed by the pies.

BTW Paul Williams was an All Australian u/18 (after the junior carnival) so how he went so late in the draft is anyones guess. However if Sholly rated him he wouldn't have left him to our 6th pick overall.

If anyone thinks a rival club would feel sorry for another club after a trade and then do a sweetheart deal a year later is purely delusional. Almost post of the year.

Wells and Mayne cost us nothing in terms of drafting but will cost in dollars from 2018 onwards when players like Grundy and other out of contract youngsters put their hand out for more cash. The only saving grace is that very few of the up and coming youngsters will be unrestricted free agents in the next couple of years, so they just can't walk.

I believe that both Wells and Mayne were recruited purely in an effort to get Collingwood into the finals and therefore allow Buckley to get another 3 years extension.

Dunn and Schade were brought in because we needed some KP defenders after Brown and Frost left. Frost and Brown were cooked and Dunn is no superstar, but at least Schade has the possibility of improvement.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Seth wrote:
Sorry but some of you live in fantasy land. Our recruiting over the last 5 years has been nothing short of embarrassing. We have the most players under 183cm tall then any other club yet we keep recruiting midgets and in a year when we knew we were going to lose Cloke we go after an injury prone midfielder who still hasn't and doesn't even look like hitting the park (Wells by the way). But oh yes we can all live in hope he will be a star.
We have a kid holding up a forward line and is now the go to player (Moore by the way). This kid has no-one to help him, no-one who he can get tips from, no-one to show him running patterns and proper ways to run the forward lines.
We have a coach who have overseen this recruitment and brought in so so players to try and save his own skin and job to maybe make finals so he can get an extension to his contract. This coach never has a plan B and never willing to take a risk and swap things around. Blair still keeps getting a game and maybe lets see what happens if we swing Howe into the forward line, of course as he is the only player holding up the backline.

Our once great club is now a laughing stock with no backline, no forward line but the best midfield in the comp but how is that going for us. No use having a bunch of fast running midgets if there is no one to take a mark. Half of these midgets can't even hit the side of a barn anyway.
We are in for a world of pain. One of the great sporting quotes - "if you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got".

It's amazing you had the time to write all of that .... being in the middle of such a heavily booked out De-Motivational Speaker tour.

Keep up the good work....but don't ever apply for the CFC coaching job PLEASE!

Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:21 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:

I've heard he thinks quite highly of you.

I've never seen you and Nathan Brown in the same place!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

NO!!

Are you Nathan Brown????

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Fatui Attata wrote:
Seth wrote:
Sorry but some of you live in fantasy land. Our recruiting over the last 5 years has been nothing short of embarrassing. We have the most players under 183cm tall then any other club yet we keep recruiting midgets and in a year when we knew we were going to lose Cloke we go after an injury prone midfielder who still hasn't and doesn't even look like hitting the park (Wells by the way). But oh yes we can all live in hope he will be a star.
We have a kid holding up a forward line and is now the go to player (Moore by the way). This kid has no-one to help him, no-one who he can get tips from, no-one to show him running patterns and proper ways to run the forward lines.
We have a coach who have overseen this recruitment and brought in so so players to try and save his own skin and job to maybe make finals so he can get an extension to his contract. This coach never has a plan B and never willing to take a risk and swap things around. Blair still keeps getting a game and maybe lets see what happens if we swing Howe into the forward line, of course as he is the only player holding up the backline.

Our once great club is now a laughing stock with no backline, no forward line but the best midfield in the comp but how is that going for us. No use having a bunch of fast running midgets if there is no one to take a mark. Half of these midgets can't even hit the side of a barn anyway.
We are in for a world of pain. One of the great sporting quotes - "if you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got".

It's amazing you had the time to write all of that .... being in the middle of such a heavily booked out De-Motivational Speaker tour.

Keep up the good work....but don't ever apply for the CFC coaching job PLEASE!

Who are these fast running midgets that we have? Blair is 174cm but he's not fast. Then there's Thomas who's rookie listed and he's 177cm and reasonable quick. That's it. No one else under 180cm unless you include Daicos and Brown who are still growing. If you look at our height profile it compares with most other teams.
MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:38 pm

If you look at the best forward lines, they have an abundance of small players with pace and X Factor.

The rise of zones has seen forwards get out the back of the zone.

Adelaide had Betts, Milera & Menzel in their forward 50 last Saturday.

In Hawthorn's hey day, they had Rioli, Bruest & Puopolo.

We have Jarryd Blair.

Just a slight on Derek Hine as a recruiter.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:
If you look at the best forward lines, they have an abundance of small players with pace and X Factor.

The rise of zones has seen forwards get out the back of the zone.

Adelaide had Betts, Milera & Menzel in their forward 50 last Saturday.

In Hawthorn's hey day, they had Rioli, Bruest & Puopolo.

We have Jarryd Blair.

Just a slight on Derek Hine as a recruiter.

Pfffft!

Fas, Elliot, Broomhead, WHE, De Goey, plus rotations of any of our mids. All can crumb.

New project players Kirby & Daicos to come.

Tell me most of those aren't X factor.

Please tell me <snip>.

It's the delivery of the ball to the opposition's advantage that's killing us.

<Mod edit: Cut the abuse. - the mods>

MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm

To compare Betts, a player who builds his game on being front and centre and reading the crumb, to Elliot a player who builds his game on marking as a pseudo 3rd tall in the mould of Medhurst shows how clueless you are.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:29 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:
To compare Betts, a player who builds his game on being front and centre and reading the crumb, to Elliot a player who builds his game on marking as a pseudo 3rd tall in the mould of Medhurst shows how clueless you are.

They're both X Factor players, no?

Are you really saying Elliot is not X Factor???

Your Honour, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my snipped case!!

BANG!

Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Fatui Attata wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

They're both X Factor players, no?

Are you really saying Elliot is not X Factor???

Your Honour, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my snipped case!!

BANG!

However, you are so right MOS...

I've never seen Eddie Betts fly for a speccy either Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: