Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

1987 Football Record

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm
Post subject: 1987 Football RecordReply with quote

I recently read a Football Record from the Collingwood/Carlton game in July 1987. We only had two injured players listed then, Ron McKeown and James Manson.

More interesting than that was the following:

" In the unlikely event that the VFL's Laws of the Game Review Panel needed any incentive to address the question of congestion in modern football, it came this week. Panel member and national umpiring director Bill Deller advised his panel colleagues that there were more than 50 ballups in general play (excluding those which automatically follow a goal) during the Essendon-Footscray game at Windy Hill last Saturday.

Little wonder that the first item of discussion at the panel's second meeting on Wednesday was headed 'General congestion of play:diving on the ball which causes packs to form and results in field bounces'.

The panel, revived recently to address matters which might detract from the game as a spectacle, met for more than two hours, with the bulk of the time allotted to the broad question of congestion in general play. The panel members all shared a concern about the practice of players diving on the ball, a trend which flies in the face of the universal desire to maintain a free flow of play.

Panel chairman Alan Schwab, the league's executive commissioner, said later 'The panel sees its primary responsibility as submitting recommendations to the board of directors with the aim of making the game as attractive as possible for spectators. What we plan to do is eliminate the cause or causes of much of the congestion, particularly the situation where we have two and sometimes three ball-ups in a row in virtually the same spot.......What we are doing at the moment is addressing the most pressing problems and, at the same time, formulating a plan for the longer term".

The panel consisted of Schwab, Bob Skilton, Barassi, Robert Flower, Jack Hamilton and Ron Casey. Thirty years on, I doubt that Skilton and Barassi would consider that they succeeded.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:49 pm
Post subject: Re: 1987 Football RecordReply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I recently read a Football Record from the Collingwood/Carlton game in July 1987.

Bugger, I missed that game as it was scheduled on a sunday arvo, and I was still playing U17s for Coburg Amatuers, who always played on sunday in that local comp.

I recall Millane carving them up and getting BOG IIRC?
We lost by maybe 4 goals though?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ the biggest issue in football. Back then they had people trying to solve it who understood and loved the game. Now we have $1.7m a year executives like Gill who preside over a scrum with handball and seem unconcerned about that. Very sad.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ the biggest issue in football. Back then they had people trying to solve it who understood and loved the game. Now we have $1.7m a year executives like Gill who preside over a scrum with handball and seem unconcerned about that. Very sad.

Agree. All we have now running the Game are Suits who have no idea about Footy and only there to make $$$$$$

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 pm

I think we lost by around 7 points by memory.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 pm

piedys wrote:
I recently read a Football Record from the Collingwood/Carlton game in July 1987.

Bugger, I missed that game as it was scheduled on a sunday arvo, and I was still playing U17s for Coburg Amatuers, who always played on sunday in that local comp.

Good memory or you did some research? Just checked, Blues by 24 points & Millane top possession winner with 33, when a possession actually meant something.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Dyso has a memory like a steel trap Shocked
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm

piedys wrote:

Good memory or you did some research? Just checked, Blues by 24 points & Millane top possession winner with 33, when a possession actually meant something.

I only actually saw what was broadcast on ABC the Winners that night, i've no idea if anybody has put the highlites on youtube yet?
I can recall most of the Collingwood vs. Carlton results going back to 1979, as they hold the most importance to me.
I considered that 1987 game a good litmus test as to where we were at going into that break-out year of 1988.

Skids wrote:
Dyso has a memory like a steel trap Shocked

And a mouth like a drunken sailor! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: