Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lack of team defence

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Effort was not the issue on Friday night. Shows what that wanker King knows about football.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:20 pm

The video from last night's "On the Couch" is up. David King's analysis of Collingwood's defense starts at 38:25... click here: https://youtu.be/k1fOYrCjRik?t=2306

Calls out the following players for being lazy/jogging in defense and not putting pressure with the zone:
- Alex Fasolo
- Adam Treleor
- Scott Pendlebury
- Taylor Adams
- Brayden Maynard

Said what a few people have been saying on Nicks that we are not putting enough pressure on when we lose the ball and at times is too easy for the other team to get an easy scoring shot.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 pm

^ it was the best analysis I've seen of the problem, and Fasolo didn't come out of it looking good. But it was also obvious that the last few defenders - Howe and Goldsack - were just too high, as were the mids who seemed deeper than theirs.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ it was the best analysis I've seen of the problem, and Fasolo didn't come out of it looking good. But it was also obvious that the last few defenders - Howe and Goldsack - were just too high, as were the mids who seemed deeper than theirs.

i agree the high press fails for both our forward and back line. When I see Cox and Moore pressing up to the wing it does not help us score goals.

www.facebook/the hybernators
MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:11 pm

The defensive zone has been leaking goals for a full year. Ultimately it is up to one person to fix it and he hasn't.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:01 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:
The defensive zone has been leaking goals for a full year. Ultimately it is up to one person to fix it and he hasn't.

Are you aware that we have 5 assistant coaches and Walshy, who's the head of the football department, who have to sign off on the strategic game plan of the team. It's not just the senior coach who wakes up one morning and thinks, oh well I think I'll try this new defensive zone for the next 12 months and if it leaks goals and doesn't work, I keep doing it until it does work, or they fire me. Do you honestly think the senior coach works in a vacuum and doesn't listen to his coaching staff and doesn't pay attention to what the other 17 teams in the competition are doing? If you go to any of the match sims at training you can hear the assistant coaches yelling at players to move into their defensive zone positions. I don't hear them looking up at Buckley to get his permission before they talk to players. If Buckley left tomorrow, whoever takes over would use similar match day strategies as Buckley - they might employ modifications to the game plan and favour some different match day ploys - other than that it would be steady as you go under a new coach and not much different to the present.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 pm

The zone is a part of the game all teams employ were not alone doing it.
Some vary it some stick to a set pattern.
Half way through last season we adjusted ours to be more zone to players than zone to space.
The Bulldogs play a very weird structure which is hard to man up on.
They play a 3 or 4 man forward line and 2 or 3 more players sitting goal side of contests looking for quick release handballs from team mates.
What that overview showed was our backs pushed up high and we held goldie and Howe back but they can't cover the running players as well as there own men.
Our mids need to work better defensively to assist halting or slowing these fast breaks.
Agree that we need work on it and I personally would prefer us to play man on man.
Also last night they showed Melbourne set up with a 8 or 9 man defence with 2 or 3 players coming off the back of the square to either halt forward momentum of the opposition or run in support of there own players. StKilda got caught out badly with over the top gaols as well
Were not the only side who had this happen to them on the weekend.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:07 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Half way through last season we adjusted ours to be more zone to players than zone to space.
They play a 3 or 4 man forward line and 2 or 3 more players sitting goal side of contests looking for quick release handballs from team mates.
What that overview showed was our backs pushed up high and we held goldie and Howe back but they can't cover the running players as well as there own men.
Our mids need to work better defensively to assist halting or slowing these fast breaks.
Agree that we need work on it and I personally would prefer us to play man on man.
Also last night they showed Melbourne set up with a 8 or 9 man defence with 2 or 3 players coming off the back of the square to either halt forward momentum of the opposition or run in support of there own players. StKilda got caught out badly with over the top gaols as well

One of my BUCKET list goals in life is to see the Pies score a goal with 3 unopposed Pies players sauntering into goal having broken the zone! Just once Nathan, just once!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:21 pm

BBHS wrote:
Effort was not the issue on Friday night. Shows what that wanker King knows about football.

A few players are not as quick running defensively as they are offensively, 1-2 prone to a lot of almost stationary defensively.

People used to knock Brown and Tooves but they always gave 100% in their defensive running. The Sack, Crisp, Varcoe, Ramsay, Sinclair probably the best of those on our list this year.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:26 pm

I wonder how fit we are in comparison to other teams.

Of all the stats I would like to see how our time trials stack up against all the other teams in the comp.

Im not saying we are slack but if its not a running "thing" then it could point to a skill "thing" or an execution of plan "thing".

You would think it would be an indicator worth exploring.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:26 pm

inxs88 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

One of my BUCKET list goals in life is to see the Pies score a goal with 3 unopposed Pies players sauntering into goal having broken the zone! Just once Nathan, just once!

Like it never happens. Maybe spend more time actually watching games.

Last edited by jackcass on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:27 pm

magpieazza wrote:

Of all the stats I would like to see how our time trials stack up against all the other teams in the comp.

Im not saying we are slack but if its not a running "thing" then it could point to a skill "thing" or an execution of plan "thing".

I'd say it's more an application and chemistry thing than a fitness issue.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Plus new players take time to gel into a team, game plan, tactics, moves etc.

We repeat this shit at the start of every bloody season.. Rolling Eyes

Still some need to be told each year.............. Shocked

Lets assess the team after about 6 rounds at the earliest. Idea

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:03 pm

jackcass wrote:
magpieazza wrote:

I'd say it's more an application and chemistry thing than a fitness issue.

If what you are saying is true ( although I understand its your opinion and im not sure how informed it is ) then this forum can have something to constructively talk about.

I get frustrated when the same questions get asked but not the right ones.

MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:04 pm

If it isn't fixed, the coach is doomed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: