Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lack of team defence

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 pm
Post subject: Lack of team defenceReply with quote

David King on On the Couch said Buckley is still the coach most under pressure due to the lack of team defence which has not changed from the first 10 rounds last year. Said this may cost him his job.

Showed some footage of players not working back hard enough. Specifically he highlighted from footage of last week's game, Fas on a number of occasions and Treloar and Pendles jogging back rather than gut running back.

His argument is that the best teams work back much harder and it is the lack of hard running back that is causing us to be split open so often on the break.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
Please don't believe David King, he has an obvious agenda. The fact of the matter is he was an assistant coach at Richmond, who couldn't cut the mustard in this role and now works in the media taking pot shots at coaches.

He picked three isolated incidents to make his point. He did not show what the players he said weren't working hard enough had done in the previous 30 seconds.

He also said this was the reason that we lost on Friday night, not our skill level. What he failed to note that the 3 instances that he chose to highlight, showed Collingwood players making skill errors, which turned the ball over in dangerous positions, specifically 40 metres directly out from our goal, resulting in the team defence zone being out of position on the counter attack making it near impossible to defend. Two of these instances were in the 3rd quarter, which resulted in two goals over the back. The other instance was Hunter's goal in the first quarter, which was also resulted in a goal over the back.

We hit the target, we have a shot for goal and the team defence zone would not even be looked at.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Skill errors costs us the game. It's that simple but certain people want to blow it up and blame it on the game plan or the coach. Unless you're privy to the weekly discussions of the Collingwood coaching group most people wouldn't have a clue what the Collingwood game plan is, but some of these media people set themselves up as expects who pretend to know what they're talking about, when in fact they have their own personal agendas.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:52 pm
Post subject: Re: Lack of team defenceReply with quote

thebaldfacts wrote:
David King on On the Couch said Buckley is still the coach most under pressure due to the lack of team defence which has not changed from the first 10 rounds last year. Said this may cost him his job.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt a sense of deja vu from the first half of the season last year when watching how easily Footscray sling-shot the ball forward on far too many occasions.

King in my view is right but that doesn't explain the whole picture. Other factors include (as many have noted):

* Poor skills;
* Poor decision making; and,
* Being too slow to execute decisions.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:15 am

Yeah... was very interesting. Built it up as a huge story then showed 2 examples.
I'm sure if you examined every team that way, you'd come to the same conclusion.

Pure hype on the ego lounge.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:38 am

We make one skill or decision error and opposition sides pounce because they know there is every chance if they can win one more one on one in space it's a goal.

Opposition makes a skill error and its ok because our forward line is crowded by defenders not pressing so deep, and it will still take about 4 more brilliant possession in traffic for us to score.

It's all game plan and it should cost him his job.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:13 am

David King has been taking pot shots at Buckley since he became coach I don't believe he's fair in his assessment.
With that being said he did highlight a few players who appear to often to be one way runners.
Faz has a always had question marks over the defensive side of his game hence why he was played off the HBF in the VFL to learn
Faz isn't alone in this but the highlights of the 3rd quarter was a absolute disgrace. The 3 minutes prior we had asserted relentless pressure inside our forward 50 and a poor turnover just opened us up. The players he highlighted in the middle were already a kick behind play when the ball went from 40m out of goal to wing to forward 50m to goal in 4 precise kicks in real time of less than less than 18 seconds. Usain Bolt couldn't have covered the ground required in that time frame
We had pressed up hard and were covering the middle corridor which had been the dogs main avenue to goal and we got burnt out wide.
If there is a criticism to be made it could be said we should have been man on man not in zone that may have been fair
Skills and poor kicking for goal cost us the game simple.
Every one who watched the game knows that
King likes constantly highlight our failures and take pot shots at our systems coach club players and anything he can
Maybe he should look at his former club and its coach who appear to be going from finalists to a bottom 4 side
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 am

There was a lot to like about Collingwood's performance on Friday night. The effort and intensity were great. But Collingwood will not beat the top sides without having good defensive structures. Four or five times on Friday night the Bulldogs kicked the ball into their attacking 50 and there were too few or no Collingwood players there.

Why shoot the messenger? Whatever your opinion of David King might be, is his message correct? I believe that it is. Last year teams regularly sliced us open with coast to coast runs ending with players running into open goals. Surely that's an issue for the coaches to fix.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:46 am

^ that the Press was too far forward was pretty much the same thing said on the agenda (the club's own review site with Chrisso and Jay Clark). They said it was down to forward half turnovers, plus the back line playing too high. So I guess this is a matter that'll be discussed in-house this week. I don't think it is down to Treloar and Pendlebury slacking.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ that the Press was too far forward was pretty much the same thing said on the agenda (the club's own review site with Chrisso and Jay Clark). They said it was down to forward half turnovers, plus the back line playing too high. So I guess this is a matter that'll be discussed in-house this week. I don't think it is down to Treloar and Pendlebury slacking.

It's no secret we employ a high forward press. That's the way we've trained all summer. So if players stuff up we get killed on the turnover. To prevent the turnover as I see it we have two choices:
1) Restructure our defensive setups and destroy 4 months of intensive preseason training, or
2) Don't stuff up

I gather David King would prefer us to go with choice 1).
Personally I'd prefer us to go with choice 2).
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 am

^ you are probably right, but I am not sure 2 is an option !
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 am

Aren't all option are ^ you right but he or she is not sure 2 ?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 am

Didn't we abandon the zone for the most part during the second half of the season and subsequently played better football or is that a myth?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:02 am

swoop42 wrote:
Didn't we abandon the zone for the most part during the second half of the season and subsequently played better football or is that a myth?

Every team uses some level of zoning, it's the quality of the application that varies.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:08 am

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Every team uses some level of zoning, it's the quality of the application that varies.

Quality or adherence?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: