Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How important are big forwards?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:09 pm
Post subject: How important are big forwards?Reply with quote

With the Nicks' spotlight on the performance of Cox, Moore and to a lesser extent, White, I'm wondering if big power forwards are necessary at all in the modern slingshot, fast running game? GWS have a couple of giants on their forward line, yet the Crows beat them easily, even after losing their CHF Tex Walker to injury before the first bounce. The bulldogs won the flag last year, with their only real power forward having to share the ruck duties. Maybe, we'd be better off filling our forward line with players like Fasolo, Sidey, Elliott, Kirby, Mayne and maybe one genuine agile tall like Moore. Just a thought.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Lethal on Sunday Pre game the tall forward does not hold the same importants as years gone

Cite's the taller mids like Dangerfield ,Distin Martin and the Bont as well as the Eddie Betts

Tend to agree

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Sort of true but if a club recruits a Carey or Lockett then no way are they unnecessary
Also one change to the rules can totally change the demand for a player type

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:30 pm

I don't think the tall forwards are as important as they used to be. Adelaide had Taylor Walker out and they thrashed GWS. It's conversion in front of goals which count, as well as the forward entries. Get the two together right and you win the game. The forward lines are so crowded these days except for when you get the turnover (then the forward line is empty going back). Either way most of the goals are being scored from being picked up from the ground rather than from the tall forwards flying for marks.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:33 pm

neil wrote:
Sort of true but if a club recruits a Carey or Lockett then no way are they unnecessary
Also one change to the rules can totally change the demand for a player type

Or a Dunstall who can lead into space and having the players up the field who can pinpoint the pass.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Contested marks are King.
Extras in defence make it harder to find space on the lead these days.
If you have a very good contested mark in your own forward line, then at least the mids aren't under the same pressure to pin point a pass thru extra numbers in defence.
When a big forward can take a contested mark and is capable of applying strong defensive pressure at ground level, then you have the complete package. There aren't many that do both.

School yard pick, I'm taking Tom Lynch ( G C S ) first every time.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Tall forwards are becoming a bit like ruckman in the current game.

If you've got a good one you get an adantage on the opposition in that area, but if you don't have a good one, you can still figure out a way to score (Dogs have shown this obviously).

I think we can surround Darcy with a plethora of talented small and medium forwards and have just one more tall in our forward line (second ruck, be that Keeffe or Cox).

That should be our approach, and seems to be.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Either either can work. We won a flag in 1990 with Gavin Brown as FF, Peter Daicos kicking 97 for the season and Stacevich playing high half forward. We were ahead of our time. Yet Josh Kennedy is crucial to the Eagles setup now. We have had a good spread of goal kickers in the last few seasons. Darcy Moore will be a gun so he will be a focal point for years to come. Elliott ain't tall but he plays tall, as does Eddie betts, who ain't a crumber, he's a leading forward. It's horses for courses.
duke750 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:44 pm

The key is to have forwards who can actually take a contested mark, or find space and take a mark on the run. And then, of course, go back and kick straight. Regardless of the era, if you have a forward who holds marks the team will kick to him. Have two, and the world is your oyster.

I would even settle for a crumbing forward who knows how to get front and centre and knows where the goals are.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:24 pm

It depends on whether they can touch the ball or not. At the moment, ours can't.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:28 pm

I've come round to the view that we should drop Cox and simply use Grundy changing with White as our rucks and Moore as our mobile KF. Let's use our silky smalls like Sidey, Elliott, Fasolo complemented by Mayne, Aish or WHE.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I've come round to the view that we should drop Cox and simply use Grundy changing with White as our rucks and Moore as our mobile KF. Let's use our silky smalls like Sidey, Elliott, Fasolo complemented by Mayne, Aish or WHE.

Agree
And if we need another tall forward we could try Dunn

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Bah, football "experts" have been calling the death of the full forward since matthew lloyd and Jonno Brown retired...it is garbage...i bet these same "experts" forgot that:

- A little known full forward at West Coast by the name of Josh Kennedy kick 7 on the weekend.

- Also Jesse Hogan i would not mind in our forward line.

Some weeeks forwards play well some weeks not. just a headline grabber from Lethal.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Forward lines come in all shapes and sizes. There is no exclusive template. It's about the quality of the six but you definitely need one or two who can take a contested mark. Someone commented elsewhere about other teams who seem to have space in there forward line but we don't and seem to have to work extra hard for our goals. Our six have just never seemed to have much system over the last few years. I don't think that's just about game plan. It's about the footy brain of the individuals and their communication as a team within the team.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Buddy killed it on Saturday, and the team still lost...they are not the be all and end all by any stretch

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: