Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kayle Kirby for Blair

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me see if I understand this.

We get rid of the unskilled players such as Brown, Frost, Williams etc because of their inability to use the ball.

But we keep guys like :

Blair : Defensive forward
Mayne : Defensive forward
Goldsack : Great trier but extremely limited

Am I missing something here?

We need a cleanout like 2010 when a lot of the old "triers" were moved on for younger skilled players.

It may result in a couple of early "pain" moments, but it's the only way to go.

Skill will win you games of football, not a bunch of defensive type players who are useless with ball in hand.

That's the modern game.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm not sure about the logic of letting Brown go but the other two were released because they were talentless hacks. I have no idea why we recruited Mayne - he's slow as a coach and hasn't played good footy for 5 years - he's most unlikely to be more than a solid contributor, at best, against the better sides. Blair and Gdsack continue to get games because they are ahead of the alternatives (or at least they were on selection night last week). The real problem for us isn't so much Blair or Goldsack but rather the fact that they've been almost begging to be replaced for 3 seasons and we still don't have any obvious replacement knocking down the door. That, of course, is a consequence of us only being able to select (at the moment - it'll get better as some recover from injuries) about 14 AFL-standard players.

There were 6 to 8 guys in last week's team that I'd rather we didn't have to select and it will be the same this week. Elliott would be an obvious upgrade on Blair and Langdon would be an obvious upgrade on Goldsack or Maynard but, at the moment, we just have to accept that our team fields some turkeys because there are, for some positions, only various kinds of poultry to choose from.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:55 pm

Maynard will be in our next premiership side. Went at 100% efficiency last week. What game are you watching?

If Langdon and Scharenberg can stay on the park, those two and Maynard and RAmsay are the four smalls of our back six for the next decade.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Damien wrote:
Maynard will be in our next premiership side. Went at 100% efficiency last week. What game are you watching?

If Langdon and Scharenberg can stay on the park, those two and Maynard and RAmsay are the four smalls of our back six for the next decade.

The one where he got caught red handed in front of goal holding the ball....
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:02 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Damien wrote:

One mistake and you want to crucify him. Give the kid a go.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:22 pm

didick wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Let Kirby play at least one VFL game ffs.

Did alright playing for Richmond's VFL last year.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-08-22/kayle-kirby-ignites-vfl-tigers

And when he does alright for Collingwood VFL and looks like he can run out a full VFL game he'll get his senior chance.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:30 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Damien wrote:

One mistake and you want to crucify him. Give the kid a go.

Be a hundred of those incorrect disposal cases every game, even a couple in our F50 minutes later. Not saying it wasn't there, just that it could have been just as easily called a ball up or play on. Never happy to concede a F50 free but an inexperienced kid taking a risk, taking the game on, is hardly cause for concern.
MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:31 pm

It's been an indictment on Derek Hine that since Leon retired, we've been stuck with Blair as a FP and not an indigenous FP with X Factor and tricks like Neon.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:37 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:
It's been an indictment on Derek Hine that since Leon retired, we've been stuck with Blair as a FP and not an indigenous FP with X Factor and tricks like Neon.

And we seriously need to dredge up the full list of small forward types, indigenous or otherwise, we've recruited over the last 10+ years to refute this sort of crap? Really?
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I'm not sure about the logic of letting Brown go but the other two were released because they were talentless hacks. I have no idea why we recruited Mayne - he's slow as a coach and hasn't played good footy for 5 years - he's most unlikely to be more than a solid contributor, at best, against the better sides. Blair and Gdsack continue to get games because they are ahead of the alternatives (or at least they were on selection night last week). The real problem for us isn't so much Blair or Goldsack but rather the fact that they've been almost begging to be replaced for 3 seasons and we still don't have any obvious replacement knocking down the door. That, of course, is a consequence of us only being able to select (at the moment - it'll get better as some recover from injuries) about 14 AFL-standard players.

There were 6 to 8 guys in last week's team that I'd rather we didn't have to select and it will be the same this week. Elliott would be an obvious upgrade on Blair and Langdon would be an obvious upgrade on Goldsack or Maynard but, at the moment, we just have to accept that our team fields some turkeys because there are, for some positions, only various kinds of poultry to choose from.

I have no real objection to the above, except for the bit about Brown. Did you not see Hogan give him an absolute bath on Saturday afternoon? Did you not notice how slow he is? Did you not notice that he has the turning circle of a Mack truck? Did you not notice his below par AFL disposal? Did you not notice his inability to make the correct decision?

I thank him for his efforts for Collingwood, especially the 2010 flag, but of all the players that left, he was the absolute no brainer.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Life's too short to watch Melbourne play St Kilda, so, no, I didn't see any of those things. I don't quite see the need for the vehemence, though - all I said was that I "wasn't sure" about the decision to let Brown go. It isn't, after all is said and done, like we've spotted Jack Regan into his spot.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:59 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:

Only indigenous players have X factor and tricks?

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Life's too short to watch Melbourne play St Kilda, so, no, I didn't see any of those things. I don't quite see the need for the vehemence, though - all I said was that I "wasn't sure" about the decision to let Brown go. It isn't, after all is said and done, like we've spotted Jack Regan into his spot.

Not too sure there were any vehemence in my comments.

Also, you didn't have to watch St Kilda v Melbourne to notice the attributes, or lack of, you just had to watch him play last year because each of these were more than evident then.

No, we haven't got a Regan or Silvagni in his position, but we have Schade, who is a significant upgrade on Brown and also Frost.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm surprised Blair is picked week in week out because I don't believe that his contribution warrants automatic selection like we've seen over the last few years. If it weren't for injuries or a decent alternative then I seriously doubt that he'd get a game. People talk him up as a defensive forward but a forward is paid to kick goals or set them up. He does neither. In fact in a game against the tiges last night I'm sure he didn't get a kick.

Kirby is nowhere near an afl standard of fitness otherwise he'd be playing. Broomhead is the obvious replacement as a nimble crumbing forward, something we're lacking at the moment. I'd bring Aish in as well. Daicos may debut before we know it. So at least there's a lot to look forward to.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:17 pm

jackcass wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

And we seriously need to dredge up the full list of small forward types, indigenous or otherwise, we've recruited over the last 10+ years to refute this sort of crap? Really?

Name them!! Not that many!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: