Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kayle Kirby for Blair

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bag any player except Blair.
In fact it is quite rare for others on this board to bag any player on a consistent basis.
It is just so obvious that he is second rate.
He brings nothing and I mean nothing to the table.
It is just so bleeding obvious.
It is just so bloody pointless playing him unless you just like losing.

slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Blair is a defensive forward. Compare Fasolo's game to betts, stevie J etc, not Blair's

I absolutely hate the term defensive forward. It immediately implies that the players main role isn't to kick goals.

The main task of each forward is to kick goals. All else is secondary.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Blair averaged 5 tackles a game last year.
The team averaged 3.5 tackles per player last year.
So he is above average on that stat.
But it is hardly a stat that you would base getting picked week after week.
He is a defensive forward because he averages one and a half extra tackles per game.
Sounds like a block of Cadburys chocolate.
A glass and a half of milk in every block.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Blair is a defensive forward. Compare Fasolo's game to betts, stevie J etc, not Blair's

OK. Would you agree that Mayne is a defensive forward? He kicked one long goal and could have kicked another.

How many goals did Blair kick? Zero. He didn't even look like kicking a goal. The Sidebottom goal in the first quarter was a goal out of nothing. I don't know anyone would think that it was the Blair tackle that resulted in the Sidebottom goal.

I think it's wish fulfilment that you like a player so much that you are willing to take the smallest of evidence to justify your argument that he deserves his spot in the team. And then you cover your tracks by arguing that when so and so is fit, that person will take Blair's spot.

You're having delusions. I don't like blair any more than any other player, I just don't get the hate. If he gets dropped for a kid, great.

BTW he had 2 shots at goal for no score. So much for not looking like scoring..

FMD Rolling Eyes

So has it actually come to this: we are praising Blair for the "attempt" at scoring??? God blimey!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:50 pm

slangman wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

I absolutely hate the term defensive forward. It immediately implies that the players main role isn't to kick goals.

The main task of each forward is to kick goals. All else is secondary.

Thanks god some definite intelligence here in your post. Agreed, the defensive forward is nothing more than a "euphemism" for excusing the lack of goals expected.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:18 am

neil wrote:
Is he fit enough to play AFL?
If not then dont play him

Nope.

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:38 am

Mugwump wrote:
Blair was among our better players on Friday night until the last quarter, when he drifted out of it. He played his role far more effectively than (for example) Darcy Moore or Varcoe played theirs. In the Game Day thread, people were screaming for his head by quarter time. Yet in the first quarter he laid the tackle that saw the ball spill to Sidebottom for our first goal. He hit the post with a front and centre gather off Cox. And he laid a poor handball to Varcoe when he should have had a shot, because in half a split second he saw Varcoe running to goal and he tried to do the team thing.

It has got to the point where people sweat on every little error he makes, while they overlook all others. Howe played well on Friday, yet he made several terrible disposal mistakes that nearly cost us several goals. Both
Maynard and .Ramsay made stupid misjudgements that cost us goals. Yet it's all Blair's fault. Elliot would be better value (he's better value than just about any other small forward in the league when he is on form), and when he is ready then he might push Jarryd out. But the hate on a player who backs up week after week, gets a lot of it for a small forward, and creates opportunities, is truly weird.

Totally agree regarding Blair, cops way more than he deserves. People love to think they gave the single golden coaching suggestion that no one else has thought of or noticed.

If people checked his stats they would realise in 144 games and now his 8th season he has near identical stats year-to-year for his whole career!

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-collingwood-magpies--jarryd-blair

Blair as a small pressure forward is the least of our problems, and a change in his position is unlikely to influence anything.

----------
------------
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:01 am

Yes, having looked at that first half again, he was well within the top 11 players in our side, and in the first quarter he was probably top 6. He created about five opportunities in that quarter (kicked two points including a poster himself) and did a hell of a lot of things that hard footy players do. 15 possessions on the night, 13 of them contested. He is actually much more involved than people think, because he is so much an in and under player that a lot of what he does does not even get called by the commentators.

I am confident he'll be picked again next week, though he might not aurvive once Billy's right.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:11 am

Mugwump wrote:

I am confident he'll be picked again next week

And therein lies the problem.
He gets picked every week.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 am

I get it. [quoteDave The Man]Then why they gets picked every week.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:33 am

mackasmatt wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Blair was among our better players on Friday night until the last quarter, when he drifted out of it. He played his role far more effectively than (for example) Darcy Moore or Varcoe played theirs. In the Game Day thread, people were screaming for his head by quarter time. Yet in the first quarter he laid the tackle that saw the ball spill to Sidebottom for our first goal. He hit the post with a front and centre gather off Cox. And he laid a poor handball to Varcoe when he should have had a shot, because in half a split second he saw Varcoe running to goal and he tried to do the team thing.

It has got to the point where people sweat on every little error he makes, while they overlook all others. Howe played well on Friday, yet he made several terrible disposal mistakes that nearly cost us several goals. Both
Maynard and .Ramsay made stupid misjudgements that cost us goals. Yet it's all Blair's fault. Elliot would be better value (he's better value than just about any other small forward in the league when he is on form), and when he is ready then he might push Jarryd out. But the hate on a player who backs up week after week, gets a lot of it for a small forward, and creates opportunities, is truly weird.

Totally agree regarding Blair, cops way more than he deserves. People love to think they gave the single golden coaching suggestion that no one else has thought of or noticed.

If people checked his stats they would realise in 144 games and now his 8th season he has near identical stats year-to-year for his whole career!

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-collingwood-magpies--jarryd-blair

Blair as a small pressure forward is the least of our problems, and a change in his position is unlikely to influence anything.

Here we go again, combing the stat sheet to support your assertion that Blair is earning his keep and putting down anyone who disagrees. He's like that other player, Pattison in the late 90's who played 100 games under Tony Shaw and has similar stats to Blair. At the changeover of coach, Pattison lasted about 5 seconds under Malthouse. Blair awaits the same fate if Buckley loses his job.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:59 am

Stephen Pattison, Jason Wild, Trent Hotten,.... the list is endless of the duds from the 90's.
It was only when Malthouse got in there that we turned it around.
Same fate awaits Bux as Tony Shaw unless Bux starts winning more games.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:32 am

thompsoc wrote:
Stephen Pattison, Jason Wild, Trent Hotten,.... the list is endless of the duds from the 90's.
It was only when Malthouse got in there that we turned it around.
Same fate awaits Bux as Tony Shaw unless Bux starts winning more games.

True. You're judged by wins and losses. No one remembers what a good bloke you are (which Bux is).
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 pm

I said in another thread that Kirby will play soon (or should play soon) if he continues the form he showed in the VFL praccy match over the next couple of weeks.

Our team is crying out for a crumbing forward he fits the bill.

It was hard to tell who the f...... was on Johannisen on Friday night at times it looked like Blair was in the general vicinity but you would have thought either Blair or Mayne, if we class them as "defensive forwards" had to restrict his input in the game, neither of them had any impact on him.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Yeah, I don't get all the angst. Was one of the few players consistently getting front and centre, just didn't take his chances. Could potentially have had 2-3 goals and was involved in half a dozen other scoring chances. Look at Sidey's first goal for example. I think people just see that he's not Cyril so not good enough. Could understand a call for Broomy to replace him as he brings more pace and skill but all the calls for Kirby are a little premature.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9   

Jump to: