Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kayle Kirby for Blair

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
Blair was among our better players on Friday night until the last quarter, when he drifted out of it. He played his role far more effectively than (for example) Darcy Moore or Varcoe played theirs. In the Game Day thread, people were screaming for his head by quarter time. Yet in the first quarter he laid the tackle that saw the ball spill to Sidebottom for our first goal. He hit the post with a front and centre gather off Cox. And he laid a poor handball to Varcoe when he should have had a shot, because in half a split second he saw Varcoe running to goal and he tried to do the team thing.

It has got to the point where people sweat on every little error he makes, while they overlook all others. Howe played well on Friday, yet he made several terrible disposal mistakes that nearly cost us several goals. Both
Maynard and .Ramsay made stupid misjudgements that cost us goals. Yet it's all Blair's fault. Elliot would be better value (he's better value than just about any other small forward in the league when he is on form), and when he is ready then he might push Jarryd out. But the hate on a player who backs up week after week, gets a lot of it for a small forward, and creates opportunities, is truly weird.

Good post. I don't get the Blair hate either

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Blair was among our better players on Friday night until the last quarter, when he drifted out of it. He played his role far more effectively than (for example) Darcy Moore or Varcoe played theirs. In the Game Day thread, people were screaming for his head by quarter time. Yet in the first quarter he laid the tackle that saw the ball spill to Sidebottom for our first goal. He hit the post with a front and centre gather off Cox. And he laid a poor handball to Varcoe when he should have had a shot, because in half a split second he saw Varcoe running to goal and he tried to do the team thing.

It has got to the point where people sweat on every little error he makes, while they overlook all others. Howe played well on Friday, yet he made several terrible disposal mistakes that nearly cost us several goals. Both
Maynard and .Ramsay made stupid misjudgements that cost us goals. Yet it's all Blair's fault. Elliot would be better value (he's better value than just about any other small forward in the league when he is on form), and when he is ready then he might push Jarryd out. But the hate on a player who backs up week after week, gets a lot of it for a small forward, and creates opportunities, is truly weird.

I agree with pretty much everything in the post except for the "Blair was among our better players on Friday night" part. He wasn't one of our better players but he was far, far from our worst.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:11 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

My case rests.
Another poster who lives on a different planet to me.
when his manager tentatively put him out for tender last year, the silence was deafening.
He is not AFL standard anymore nor has he been for a number of years.
There is absolutely no point in playing him.
Play Kyle next week, give him some sugar and after this he may just want so more.
Is he ready for the big time ......no! but hey it may be of some benefit with the future in mind.
Play Blair and it will be the same old same old.

Good to see you again, Thommysoc. It was a long off-season. Others will go past Blair, as soon as Elliott and Wells and Degoey are back, so there might be less to disagree about than you think. But he was certainly no worse than a bunch of others on Friday, and a lot better than several bigger names. It is worth watching the game again, as I thought he was pretty awful on a first viewing, but the replay suggests otherwise.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:15 pm

I agree. Go with a Handscomb/Renshaw instead of a Voges/Rogers. The kid came down last year and kicked goals immediately at a higher level than he was used to. He rises to the challenge. Cmon Bucks, unleash the Kentucky Derby!

Last edited by Cam on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Sorry, but you are living in fantasy world if you think that. I think what it is, is that you look at the stat sheet for kicks and handballs and think that if the player gets his hands on the football, he has earned his keep. The only thing you need to look at for a crumbling forward is goals and goal assists. Kicks and handballs don't win football matches. Goals win football matches. Look at players like Eddie Betts, Steve Johnson and JJ. They work the football and if they don't kick goals a teammate will. I assure you if Buckley persists in playing Blair, it won't just be Blair without a job at the end of the year. We will have a new coach.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 pm

^

Blair is a defensive forward. Compare Fasolo's game to betts, stevie J etc, not Blair's

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:37 pm

^
The trouble with Fas is he thinks he's Gary Ablett Snr, when it would be nice if he would crumb ala Leigh Matthews.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Blair is a defensive forward. Compare Fasolo's game to betts, stevie J etc, not Blair's

OK. Would you agree that Mayne is a defensive forward? He kicked one long goal and could have kicked another.

How many goals did Blair kick? Zero. He didn't even look like kicking a goal. The Sidebottom goal in the first quarter was a goal out of nothing. I don't know anyone would think that it was the Blair tackle that resulted in the Sidebottom goal.

I think it's wish fulfilment that you like a player so much that you are willing to take the smallest of evidence to justify your argument that he deserves his spot in the team. And then you cover your tracks by arguing that when so and so is fit, that person will take Blair's spot.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Can someone please post his comparative stats to the guys around him for Friday?

Mainly because I am lazy and secondly because I thought he was completely out to sea on Friday. I will defend him when others are blind to the greater good and necessity of his selection, but surely if Elliot and aish are right to go it's time for him to take a back seat.

As for Kirby .... nope, brown ...nope , daicos ...nope. They seem like silly ideas. But that's just my opinion. I respect the silliness of others opinion.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:07 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

How many goals did Blair kick? Zero. He didn't even look like kicking a goal. The Sidebottom goal in the first quarter was a goal out of nothing. I don't know anyone would think that it was the Blair tackle that resulted in the Sidebottom goal.

Blair hit the post after a crumbing possession in the first quarter, iirc. I think I'd call that looking like kicking a goal. And Blair has kicked goals like Mayne's goal in many games over the last 12 months. As for the Sidebottom goal, one person who did think that it was the Blair tackle that (partly) resulted in
Steele's great goal was Steele. If you look at the replay, you'll see that he tapped Blair on the bum in the celebration.

I think he'll be picked until Billy, Jordan or Daniel are available.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Blair hit the post after a crumbing possession in the first quarter, iirc. I think I'd call that looking like kicking a goal. And Blair has kicked goals like Mayne's goal in many games over the last 12 months. As for the Sidebottom goal, one person who did think that it was the Blair tackle that (partly) resulted in
Steele's great goal was Steele. If you look at the replay, you'll see that he tapped Blair on the bum in the celebration.

Beg to differ. Broomhead should take his spot on Friday night. Buckley himself has referred to Broomhead as a crumbing forward and a missing link in the side (due to injuries).
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Beg to differ. Broomhead should take his spot on Friday night. Buckley himself has referred to Broomhead as a crumbing forward and a missing link in the side (due to injuries).

I would not scream from the rooftops of that happens , but I've never seen Broomhead play a game as good as an average game from Blair (could be memory failure, though - I have not checked stats). As a talent development play it may be worth doing.

Anyway, no harm is disagreement. I just wanted to rattle the consensus, and .I was really surprised because during the game I thought Blair was terrible, but in the replay I thought he was more than ok. Funny how things can be magnified in real game time.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

A defensive forward is a contradiction in terms really.
And if you think a defensive forward is one who locks it in then Blair is not your man.
As soon as the ball gets out of the pack to the outside then he is useless.
He rarely chases, and he lags behind.
He misses tackles on a regular basis.
Look forward to a bag of some 12 to 15 goals per year.
This is what he has done in the last 5 years.
The only thing he does well is ..he never gets injured.
The problem really is not Blair...it is the rabbits who keep picking him week after week, month after month, year after year.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

OK. Would you agree that Mayne is a defensive forward? He kicked one long goal and could have kicked another.

I think it's wish fulfilment that you like a player so much that you are willing to take the smallest of evidence to justify your argument that he deserves his spot in the team. And then you cover your tracks by arguing that when so and so is fit, that person will take Blair's spot.

You're having delusions. I don't like blair any more than any other player, I just don't get the hate. If he gets dropped for a kid, great.

BTW he had 2 shots at goal for no score. So much for not looking like scoring..

FMD Rolling Eyes

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Broomhead is all class and I cant wait till he gets a run of luck with injuries and plays consistent senior football.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: