Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sons of Legends, Daicos, Brown, when to play ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:00 pm
Post subject: Sons of Legends, Daicos, Brown, when to play ??Reply with quote

Yes, we need Wells, Elliott and De Goey, Greenwood back in the team now, to take us to a more elite level, that's a gimme. But, in regards to pace, forward options, etc, I'm just wondering, when should we try out our new pups, the young kids of our legends, Daics and Brown ? Should they come in together, or separate, do we pick them after a few sparkling VFL games, or pick them on a hunch ?

When to play these sons of absolute guns, this season, or next ? Confused Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd play Daicos over Blair any day of the week.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 pm

From what I saw VFL Pies v Geelong and match reports VFL Pies v Doggies I would try
Kirby as he appears to play that creative small fwd like Elliott

And he has a bigger body and his tackle is fierce

But Daicos I have seen a small dose of and he will get a game this year i'll wager

Brown obviously good but have yet to see him

Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 pm

I think there is precedent at Collingwood for bringing in young guns for big matches and there is no bigger home and away game than ANZAC day vs Essendon. Hence I would love to see Daicos and Brown burn it up in the VFL and the training track over the next 4 weeks to make their debut together on 25th April. Such games puts huge pressure on young debutants but if they are as good as I hope they'll take in their stride and step up to the mark.

Of course that means that if we are resorting to playing such kids we are probably struggling for form or being hit by injuries but its nice to know that if we are beset by misfortune or lack of form we have two such young guns ready to go.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Boot wrote:
I think there is precedent at Collingwood for bringing in young guns for big matches and there is no bigger home and away game than ANZAC day vs Essendon. Hence I would love to see Daicos and Brown burn it up in the VFL and the training track over the next 4 weeks to make their debut together on 25th April. Such games puts huge pressure on young debutants but if they are as good as I hope they'll take in their stride and step up to the mark.

Of course that means that if we are resorting to playing such kids we are probably struggling for form or being hit by injuries but its nice to know that if we are beset by misfortune or lack of form we have two such young guns ready to go.

Very true, the Pies have a long history of doing that. I was a kid myself, but I do recall the late Len Thompson made his debut in a Preliminary Final, decades ago, at the G, and he did very well, he was only 17 and starred. And wasn't Daisys first game v the dons on the G, Anzac day too, and he tore them up, took a fantastic high mark ? The Woods have often done this, going way, way back, I think Thorold Merrett was just 15 when he debuted out at the horrid western oval, and ted whitten tried to intimidate him, but he still kicked three goals I think. Yeh, lets do it !! Cool

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:29 pm

No, Thomas debuted at Etihad against Adelaide in round 1.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:35 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
From what I saw VFL Pies v Geelong and match reports VFL Pies v Doggies I would try
Kirby as he appears to play that creative small fwd like Elliott

And he has a bigger body and his tackle is fierce

But Daicos I have seen a small dose of and he will get a game this year i'll wager

Brown obviously good but have yet to see him

I'd love nothing more than to see Kirby get a game, but wasn't there a question mark about his engine? Can anyone who saw the VFL practice game let us know how he looked - defensively as well as kicking 3 goals. If he is fit enough, he is certainly exactly what we need.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:01 pm

First impressions, but defensively, Kayle is no slouch. He ain't off the scale for pressure, but he's not a slacker either.

As the question of his engine, it just isn't there yet. Performs well in patches (as he did yesterday) but not a full-term runner yet. And after just 2 VFL scratch matches, coming off a compromised pre-season (one that was self-inflicted, if you believe the chatter) and still carrying some excess pud, he just won't survive AFL speed and intensity, especially with a capped bench...

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Didn't Rene Kink debut in a final at 16 years of age? Noel Lovell did too I think.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Neither Daicos or brown have electric speed, unless the reports I've read are mistaken.

Daics is silky skilled and reads the play like he can see 15 seconds ahead in time, Brown is skilled and hard at it.

WHE has speed, as does varcoe and treloar. White is actually no slouch either.

it aint leg speed we're missing.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:50 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
First impressions, but defensively, Kayle is no slouch. He ain't off the scale for pressure, but he's not a slacker either.

As the question of his engine, it just isn't there yet. Performs well in patches (as he did yesterday) but not a full-term runner yet. And after just 2 VFL scratch matches, coming off a compromised pre-season (one that was self-inflicted, if you believe the chatter) and still carrying some excess pud, he just won't survive AFL speed and intensity, especially with a capped bench...

Thanks Bat. That's what I figured. The club knows he's oozing in talent. That's why they drafted him after all. Once he's fit enough he'll play and he'll rip it up. In the meantime, we supporters need to be patient, as we are with the eventual elevation of Daicos and Brown.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:17 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

Thanks Bat. That's what I figured. The club knows he's oozing in talent. That's why they drafted him after all. Once he's fit enough he'll play and he'll rip it up. In the meantime, we supporters need to be patient, as we are with the eventual elevation of Daicos and Brown.

Ha ha, turn it up Rudey, surely, surely you must know by now, that patience is NOT a virtue here on Nicks, its in very short supply sadly, some on here crave instant success, cant hack rebuilding or trying to cover injuries. Razz

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

Ha ha, turn it up Rudey, surely, surely you must know by now, that patience is NOT a virtue here on Nicks, its in very short supply sadly, some on here crave instant success, cant hack rebuilding or trying to cover injuries. Razz

if it was up to some on here, we'd sack the coach after each loss.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:22 am

Josh Daicos got a good review on Collingwood media segment

Reading AFL State League the comment was that he appeared too good for the level he was playing at (VFL) despite it being his first year

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 am

Kirby also got an excellent reveiw on AFL State League happenings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: