Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now, it's over
38%
 38%  [ 60 ]
Sack him mid-season, we aren't at DEFCON 1 just yet
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Sack him end of season, give him a dignified exit as he warms the seat
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Decide end of season (still think he's the man)
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
Decide end of season (he's lost me)
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Decide end of season (I genuinely don't know)
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Extend him now, he is The Chosen One!
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 156

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the odds Bucks will roll out the line "we need to be more consistent" tomorrow.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:05 pm

swoop42 wrote:
What rubbish, no coach in history has a 100% winning percentage so not sure why you're bothering raising last week.

It's no fluke Clarkson has won 4 flags, Longmire yet to miss finals, Beveridge being named coach of the year twice or C.Scott having a 75% winning percentage with a list with as many premiership players remaining as Collingwood.

Good coaches get the best out of there team more often than not.

Poor coaches don't.

Simple.

Rubbish or not, Swoop, Clarkson doesn't look such a genius now as he did three years ago. Nor does Lyon. How do you explain that ?

Longmire is a different case because Sydney have such a financially-tilted playing field, and such a big home ground advantage, that they bloody well should make finals every year.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 pm

I personally want what is best for the club. The best outcome in all of this is for Buckley to succeed as a coach and to help us win at least one Premiership Cup. This may be a Fairy Tale or at the very least a very tall order but despite it being a long shot it is possible.

Anybody who wants to see Buckley walk from the club as a failure needs to have a good think about it. Anybody who thought that he would walk into the club as the consummate coach from the very start were being totally unrealistic. Just remember MM was an experienced Premiership coach and it took home 10 years to win the ultimate prize

Last edited by Member 7167 on Sat May 27, 2017 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Mugwump wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
What rubbish, no coach in history has a 100% winning percentage so not sure why you're bothering raising last week.

It's no fluke Clarkson has won 4 flags, Longmire yet to miss finals, Beveridge being named coach of the year twice or C.Scott having a 75% winning percentage with a list with as many premiership players remaining as Collingwood.

Poor coaches don't.

Simple.

Rubbish or not, Swoop, Clarkson doesn't look such a genius now as he did three years ago. Nor does Lyon. How do you explain that ?

Longmire is a different case because Sydney have such a financially-tilted playing field, and such a big home ground advantage, that they bloody well should make finals every year.

This argument that hawthorn has finally gone down hill and the coach doesn't look that flash is just plain wrong.
4 flags in 10 years and we got 4 flags in 80 years!
What an amazing result for the Hawks.
When Clarko fails for 10 years in a row then I might start to question him.
But it maybe I will question him after the next 20 years.
I was thinking the other day that the hawks have won 13 flags in the last 60 years and we have won 2.
Yep just 2.
Most punters would say we win a flag every 20 years or so.
So to make it to 13 flags in the modern era then it would take us another 220 years to catch up with the mongrels.
So we may get on par with them by the year 2237!!!!!
And that is based on one premise.
That they won't win another flag in that time.
It makes me sick thinking about how great hawthorn have been.
And yet we get these remarks about the hawks decline.
Clarko will be always a better coach than Bux.
Bux has done not one thing in 6 years.
He may turn it around but I doubt it.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Meanwhile, in faraway Adelaide, another Malthouse protege, Don Pyke, is roaring into premiership favouritism, showing us that our boy is becoming a coach of coaches, like Kennedy, Barassi and co...

Maybe our next coach should come from out West...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
What are the odds Bucks will roll out the line "we need to be more consistent" tomorrow.

What would like him to say? I would like the team to be more consistent.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:21 am

thompsoc wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Poor coaches don't.

Simple.

This argument that hawthorn has finally gone down hill and the coach doesn't look that flash is just plain wrong.
I was thinking the other day that the hawks have won 13 flags in the last 60 years and we have won 2.
Yep just 2.
So to make it to 13 flags in the modern era then it would take us another 220 years to catch up with the mongrels.

Not the point. Not denying Clarkson is a good coach, just debating how much of team performance is down to the coach, and how much to the talent available and the experience playing together. The fact that even great coaches such as Clarkson struggle badly when they lose a few players says that the coach is a part of the puzzle, but not the whole picture.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:53 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

What would like him to say? I would like the team to be more consistent.

How about starting to deliver this consistency instead of preaching about it week in week out over the last few years.

It's just all noise until it starts to happen on the field.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:02 am

Mugwump wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Poor coaches don't.

Simple.

Yep just 2.

Not the point. Not denying Clarkson is a good coach, just debating how much of team performance is down to the coach, and how much to the talent available and the experience playing together. The fact that even great coaches such as Clarkson struggle badly when they lose a few players says that the coach is a part of the puzzle, but not the whole picture.

Agree
Coach is part of the puzzle.
Some coaches maybe better at development and some may be better at taking a mature side to a flag.
The question for Clarko is can he now develop a new Hawthorn side and then take god forbid to another flag.
Bux has yet to develop a side, and some would say he pissed a good side up against the wall.
Apology to beer drinkers for using this line.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:18 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Bux has yet to develop a side, and some would say he pissed a good side up against the wall.
Apology to beer drinkers for using this line.

I don't think that we've 'wasted a good side'

We didn't win a flag until we added Jolly and Ball, but both were well advanced in their careers and not long term prospects. Neither were able to contribute a great deal from 2012 onwards. In the years since 2011 we've lost players to both injury and retirement, which is the natural progression of things. Of the players we've traded only Heath Shaw has gone on to be a force.

What we've seen is the natural decline of a particular group of athletes over half a decade. Alongside that, a group of trades that have attempted to counter that decline by bringing young talent to the club. Talent that, hopefully, will be the basis of the next attempt.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Who cares what emotional, irrational and impatient fans want. Hopefully the only consideration that the board takes into account when making the decision whether to extend his contract or not is what do the players want. If the players respect and want him as their coach to get the best out of themselves then sign him up.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:55 pm

We're never going to win a premiership under Nathan Buckley in my opinion. Just too unorthodox a coach. Happy to be proved wrong. He reminds me a bit of Tony Shaw, who was another unorthodox coach, who had some brilliant tactical ideas, but ultimately failed because he didn't believe in having a team structure. Even the great Brisbane team that won 3 premierships in a row and had one of the greatest midfields of all time, had Jonathan Brown at CHF and Alister Lynch at FF. What do we have? Basically Moore at FF and then nothing. Sorry, I've been watching football a long time and it just won't work.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Like I said a lot of noise has come out of the club with little results.

2 massive 8 point games coming up against Freo and Melbourne will shape our season.

Next 2 weeks will show us where Bucks and our club really stands.

Georgia 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Buckley is 63rd on the list of games coached and 19th on the list of games coached without making a grand final. In six seasons he will have coached the most games without making a grand final and we will still be paying the next set of 32 year olds with four year contracts who were recruited so that we could make the eight.

Those that say let's keep him because he will get better etc are accepting mediocre performance. A good coach is a good coach and generally, like Beverage, they have vision from day one.

I was at the G today watching us beat Brisbane and was uninspired yet again, we won but it wasn't fast flowing exciting football. I thought that after the second half against the hawks Buckley might have realised what style we should play but alas I was wrong.

Anyway by the end of the season he will be 9th in games coached with no grand final and 5th in most games coached without multiple finals wins.

Uurggghhh , it's really a no brainer.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Georgia wrote:
Anyway by the end of the season he will be 9th in games coached with no grand final and 5th in most games coached without multiple finals wins.

But what if we win the next 17 games?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 90 of 100   

Jump to: