Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now, it's over
38%
 38%  [ 60 ]
Sack him mid-season, we aren't at DEFCON 1 just yet
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Sack him end of season, give him a dignified exit as he warms the seat
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Decide end of season (still think he's the man)
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
Decide end of season (he's lost me)
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Decide end of season (I genuinely don't know)
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Extend him now, he is The Chosen One!
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 156

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

eddiesmith wrote:
The main excuse seems to be a lack of personnel, time and time again excusing Buckley from anything to do with recruiting. Seems a pretty shit coach if he has no say on who we recruit!

But if the personnel aren't able to execute his game plan then that is clearly the issue. The much hated boundary plan of Micks was created because that was the best plan for the team we had at the time.

Seems to me a good coach develops a game plan to suit his team and if he wants to do something else he recruits players to implement something different. After 6 years, Buckley clearly has NFI what he wants!

I'd say he's been a bit unlucky with recruiting. Freeman and Scharenberg were both top ten prospects and they have both been a bust, to date. Degoey has been ok, but at #5 he has not been a Pendlebury (who went at 5 some years back). The other thing to bear in mind is that the rebuild started from 2014 and it probably takes around four years to show how effective it has been. I know it'll cause a meltdown on Nicks coaching academy, but .I think Buckley will get another year at the end of this one, since the players clearly want to win for him and the timing of success is still a bit uncertain. That said, I wanted him to resign by quarter time on Saturday !! In the end, results will tell the tale.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:11 am

Currently we have lucked out with 3 top 10 picks. You would expect that 1 of those would be a superstar if not 2, still hopes held for shazza.

But the issue is also the recruiting of recycled players over 2013-2015 rather than developing through the draft that has us basically in the same position 3 years later and in need of the same type of personnel. FFS we were crying out to develop a key forward after Dawes but because of Cloke we looked at recycled players rather than looking towards the future, maybe bucks and the coaching staff had overrated the list.

Seems we have done the same thing with the recruiting of Mayne. If we get a decent top 10 pick we need to get the best KPP in the draft rather than just the best player. Time to start putting the focus on what we need to complete the list and looking at a new 3 year window to get back towards the top 4.

You may call it a mini rebuild and Bucks has already had a crack at it and failed. I think it is the perfect opportunity/time to blood some new and different ideas/tactics and preferably by someone outside of Collingwood.

Most of the current coaching staff has a 1990's/2000's player reunion feel to it.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Not too fussed about the coaching situation. At some time this year, probably towards the end of the season, the club will meet and decide if our performance has been good enough. Buckley will then either be re-signed or let go.

Nothing to get worked up over in the interim. Coaches come and go, I don't really view Bucks any differently simply because he played for us and hope the club don't either.

Right now it's more likely that Buckley won't be coaching us next year, but it's still some way from a certainty.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Not too fussed about the coaching situation. At some time this year, probably towards the end of the season, the club will meet and decide if our performance has been good enough. Buckley will then either be re-signed or let go.

Nothing to get worked up over in the interim. Coaches come and go, I don't really view Bucks any differently simply because he played for us and hope the club don't either.

Right now it's more likely that Buckley won't be coaching us next year, but it's still some way from a certainty.

Just as you say, Buckley's coaching has to be judged on it's merits and has nothing to do with him having played for us. At the time he could have coached North Melbourne instead of us, but he chose us. People are blaming the club for being bias in choosing him, but Buckley could have chosen any other club to coach.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 pm

All the players keep saying he can coach. So does Swanny. They all say When they take risks and take on the game like he's asking them to they get the result. He can coach. I think he'll be there next year and I'm glad.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Damien wrote:
All the players keep saying he can coach. So does Swanny. They all say When they take risks and take on the game like he's asking them to they get the result. He can coach. I think he'll be there next year and I'm glad.

I think he has the players onside and I think he can coach. Therefore I hope he's coaching us next year and beyond. Having said that, however, I suspect the powers that be at our club have already made the decision to end his tenure at the close of this season.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:11 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Damien wrote:

I think he has the players onside and I think he can coach. Therefore I hope he's coaching us next year and beyond. Having said that, however, I suspect the powers that be at our club have already made the decision to end his tenure at the close of this season.

Guess how many shits I give whether the coach has the players on side after 6 years of amateur hour?

Zero shits is how many.

We were the Man Utd of Australia until he tried to take on the house that Mick built.

It's disgusting that as a Collingwood supporter you would back this regime to continue.

Collingwood should be coached by the best, not be fodder for self centred ex captains wanting to cut their teeth on the big stage. If he loved Collingwood more than himself he would never have put himself up as a candidate for coach as a 38 year old with no coaching experience.

"Look out we gonna beat the Lions.. back Bucks". I heard that in round 7 last year. How'd that go for ya?? A 3 goal win against a Hawks team destined for bottom 3.... yep we are flying at Collingwood.

Have all the puff pieces ya want about Bucks going the "extra mile" and organising Wimbledon tickets for Jackson Ramsey is just the bare minimum a coach should do for his players. When your leaking that sort of shit to the press as an example of why your a good coach, ya should be lining up at the closest centre link for a new job... not good enough... Next
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:33 pm

There's some anger in that post. You're not gunna be a happy man when Bucks goes round again next year are you.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Damien wrote:
There's some anger in that post. You're not gunna be a happy man when Bucks goes round again next year are you.

Guess it all depends on if the club ever wants to be in contention again?!?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Damien wrote:

Guess how many shits I give whether the coach has the players on side after 6 years of amateur hour?

Zero shits is how many.

We were the Man Utd of Australia until he tried to take on the house that Mick built.

It's disgusting that as a Collingwood supporter you would back this regime to continue.

Collingwood should be coached by the best, not be fodder for self centred ex captains wanting to cut their teeth on the big stage. If he loved Collingwood more than himself he would never have put himself up as a candidate for coach as a 38 year old with no coaching experience.

"Look out we gonna beat the Lions.. back Bucks". I heard that in round 7 last year. How'd that go for ya?? A 3 goal win against a Hawks team destined for bottom 3.... yep we are flying at Collingwood.

Have all the puff pieces ya want about Bucks going the "extra mile" and organising Wimbledon tickets for Jackson Ramsey is just the bare minimum a coach should do for his players. When your leaking that sort of shit to the press as an example of why your a good coach, ya should be lining up at the closest centre link for a new job... not good enough... Next

If I was confident there was a better coach available for us then I'd support replacing Bucks, but without that knowledge, I'm prepared to back Bucks in to get us back to where we belong, which is deep into the finals. For the record, I think Roos would be a disaster for us.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Damien wrote:

I'm sorry but that doesn't wash with me.

The best coaches have there players playing to the plan they want and do not having a playing group deciding when they will and wont adhere to it in order to win.

The tail doesn't wag the dog and it sounds like just another weak excuse to me.

If we don't make finals this season and heaven forbid regress once again with under 9 wins then Buckley simply isn't a good coach and needs to be removed.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:43 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Damien wrote:

The best coaches have there players playing to the plan they want and do not having a playing group deciding when they will and wont adhere to it in order to win.

If we don't make finals this season and heaven forbid regress once again with under 9 wins then Buckley simply isn't a good coach and needs to be removed.

^yes, like Clarkson did in the second half last week. Oh, wait....

Coaches are overrated. I could have coached that mid 2011 side to success - Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, Davis, Cloke Shaw, Jolly, Ball, Didak and Krakouer all overlapping in or near their prime. Players make 90% of the difference, and coaches about 10% as long as the players play for him.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 am

What rubbish, no coach in history has a 100% winning percentage so not sure why you're bothering raising last week.

It's no fluke Clarkson has won 4 flags, Longmire yet to miss finals, Beveridge being named coach of the year twice or C.Scott having a 75% winning percentage with a list with as many premiership players remaining as Collingwood.

Good coaches get the best out of there team more often than not.

Poor coaches don't.

Simple.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 am

Mugwump wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Damien wrote:

^yes, like Clarkson did in the second half last week. Oh, wait....

Coaches are overrated. I could have coached that mid 2011 side to success - Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas, Davis, Cloke Shaw, Jolly, Ball, Didak and Krakouer all overlapping in or near their prime. Players make 90% of the difference, and coaches about 10% as long as the players play for him.

That's true, but coaches select the team, coaches sit down with the list manager at the end of the season and plan which players to let go and which players to recruit, and coaches define the strategy and game plan that the players adhere to. Some players thrive under certain coaches, while other players never play at their best under certain coaches. That's human nature. Coaches aren't perfect and players aren't either. You can't use the argument that Buckley can't be replaced because there is no one better out there. All coaches can be replaced and you don't know how a coach is going to perform until he's selected. Few people knew Beveridge would turn into a good coach. The only way of judging a coach is by wins and losses. Cruel because it doesn't take into account the circumstances of the team. But that's the way coaches have always been assessed in the past and into the future. I don't see why we make an exemption of Buckley because he's a favourite son, nor do I think Buckley wants us to make an exemption of him because of his history as a player at Collingwood.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am

That's a pretty fair post BucksIsFutureCoach
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 89 of 100   

Jump to: