Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now, it's over
38%
 38%  [ 60 ]
Sack him mid-season, we aren't at DEFCON 1 just yet
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Sack him end of season, give him a dignified exit as he warms the seat
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Decide end of season (still think he's the man)
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
Decide end of season (he's lost me)
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Decide end of season (I genuinely don't know)
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Extend him now, he is The Chosen One!
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 156

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

35forever wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Jezza wrote:
De Goey, Elliott, Greenwood, Sinclair and Wells are all on the injury list.

It has to end. We can't beat top 4 teams. We can't even compete against top 4 teams. Find someone that can

You quite sure about that?

So far in 2017 we've beaten last years Minor Prems, last years 2nd, last years 3rd, & last years 4th (who we beat last year) were very lucky to escape with a "goal-on-the-siren" 3 point win. We also did very well against last years Prems.
and beat the undefeated top placed Geelong who were top 4 last year
Can't beat top 4 sides? Actually it's bottom 4 mobs we need to worry about!

Tonight was a fabulous win, but what it demonstrated in stark detail is that Buckley, whatever you think of him, just isn't a match day coach. He appears to be good at taking training, and someone there is extremely good at bringing young players, and new players , on. However on match day he has no answers. Far too often his solution to a player getting badly beaten is to leave the player where he is. Tonight's win was simply a matter of ignoring the game plan after 1/4 time. We returned to the plan briefly at the start of the last, but fortunately went back to the style which wins us games. Direct, free-flowing play, using the corridor when possible, kicking long to a contest rather than handballing to a man under pressure. When we do this we seem more confident, and play a much harder, more desperate game, displaying the kind of pressure that made us the top side in 2010-11. What we've shown this year is not far from bi-polar footy. We are either brilliant, fiddly, or simply absent (see Carlton game). It's possible we will win enough games to snag 8th, or pick up a third spoon, but if we brought a new coach in NOW, we will finish top 4 & give the best sides a damn good run. I know this like I know my dog's name. Quite simply, very nearly no one, either here or in the footy world, has the faintest idea how good we are. or how good we could be. At our best we aren't much different to the 2011 side which was our best ever, and broke records weekly. Then again, unlike most, I believe the Minor premiership is the true indicator of the years best side. Grand finals are very unusual games which can go any way, often because of weather, injuries, breaks, or other factors.

Nice win though, I've already watched it twice, (the 1st qtr 3 times). Amazing that it doesn’t make beating Brizzo more or less likely. But there it is.

I agree with you whole heartedly about how good we could be with the right coach.

Though hawthorn finished 6th and, statistically, were not even close to being a a serious top 4 side last year. Statistically they were lucky to make the 8, but good coaching and on field leadership dragged them through. And the cats get a gift ride every year with Kardina Park. Again, I didnt rate them last year, and I remain unconvinced they will be their on grand final day.

I think the game style we have is designed to keep opposition suppressed and scores low. To me it's a conservative game plan which at the moment minimises big losses, but lacks the flair to seriously take the game on when it matters against the best. It's neither hear nor there.

As you say we beat GWS last year in round 15. Remember we did cheat in that game using an illegal glove. And as I said at the time, I bet gws started their higher training loads to peak for sept that week. Cause they couldn't run for shit that game. They would have run all over us like they did the swans had we played them in sept. We played 1 great qtr last week, as Richmond did against them this week. They have a host of all Australian calibre talent out. In the 4th qtr with the game on the line they kicked 3.4 and we kicked 3.2. And with our game style, we couldnt even run over them in the 4th qtr even though they had no bench.

When we got beat in round 1 the dogs hardly raised a sweat. We dominated all areas and never seriously threatened. To me, that's not competing. And as for the swans, we got beaten 72 to 52 for 3/4 against a team made up of NEAFL players and we still almost found a way to lose it. Like the Hawks win yesterday it really should have been a 6 to 8 goal win. If we played swans this week at full strength and the form they are in at present we'd lose probably 10 out of 10 times. That to me is not competing.

And as for the make up of the top 4 this year well it could be made up of a number of teams. GWS (beat us and they had no bench and played like shit), Port (whooped us last time), dogs (always beat us), Crows (whooped us last time), Freo (we beat Peel Thunder last year) StK (Richo has our measure), WCE (if we play em in Perth forget about it), Cats (only team we perform consistently against), Essendon (they got our number at full strength) Richmond (toss the coin) could all sneak in by round 23.

In any event, we ain't seriously competing in sept vs top 4 clubs with zero quality tall fwds (and no im not bagging Moore, but he is still very young and lightly built) poor decision making (6th in turnovers) and disposal efficiency (16th for efficiency inside 50) so poor. When the heat gets turned up in finals, if we made it, we'll be found out cause we over possess the ball, take silly risks and have no decent tall Fwds to roost it to when in trouble. You can't expect Fasolo and Elliott to push up the flanks to half back the whole game to provide options and then have no fwd structure to kick to. And that to me is just a failure to compete in the sense that we'll go into the game knowing we are in for a loss.
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:30 pm

We should beat Brisbane. Any chance they reappoint Bucks if we win?

Last edited by Lone Ranger on Mon May 22, 2017 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 pm

The thing I find most interesting and frustrating is how we seem to start matches or resume from a break and have easy goals kicked against us.
Either the coach hasn't got the players ready to go or the players don't know how to get themselves ready to go.
I'm leaning more towards the players as really in professional sport it shouldn't be the coaches job to make sure your mind is in the correct frame to start a match or resume from a break.
17 quarters this year we have had a goal kicked on us inside the first 2 minutes. Just seems that the players aren't switched on for this to occur so frequently.
The finals or bust comment may be hurting the mental side of the players which is directly the coaches fault making the comment.
We seem so nervous at times and that brings bad school boy level errors even by the most seasoned players.
When we seem to play a more care free style and run carry and take the game on we make far better decisions and actually look like a competitive side.
Then stark contrast is mind blowing really.
Buckley has obviously not lost the group because the efforts they show indicates they play for him.
I would like to see him ream a few more players for some there errors especially the seasoned players. Even go to the selection table and make examples of a couple.
I'm doubting we can make finals really but with the up and down nature of the competition we are very much a chance still by winning 5 of our next 7 games would put us right in the 8 (maybe as high as 6th) and then we would be left with winning 4 of our last 6 to make them.
Highly unlikely until we become a consistent side
If we do get on a bit of a roll which is possible playing our best football then maybe but from what I've seen I wouldn't be putting my hard earned on it
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Bucks is safe, for now anyway.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
The thing I find most interesting and frustrating is how we seem to start matches or resume from a break and have easy goals kicked against us.
Either the coach hasn't got the players ready to go or the players don't know how to get themselves ready to go.
I'm leaning more towards the players as really in professional sport it shouldn't be the coaches job to make sure your mind is in the correct frame to start a match or resume from a break.
17 quarters this year we have had a goal kicked on us inside the first 2 minutes. Just seems that the players aren't switched on for this to occur so frequently.

I mentioned earlier that a few of the highly touted mid-fielders (eg Sidey, Treloar, Crisp) don't seem to get themselves going until it becomes a stark and obvious necessity.
Number 35 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:08 am

" Nathan Buckley is the Chosen One. He has given his life to Football. He has been a Good role model for kids of all ages and backgrounds of the land from Coast to Coast! He was once a Great Warrior for THIS Army and DESERVES the respect of every SINGLE person posting on this site. ( Trolls included! ) He will lead this group toward the Holy Grail, IT is written in the Stars for Nathan. And so Nothing else Matters. "

- TheSandman

Last edited by Number 35 on Tue May 23, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 pm

The most important role a coach has is to implement a game style that is robust enough to stand up across a season and against differing opposition structures.

The second most important role is teaching the players to understand it throughout the season and off season so they can execute it properly on game day on a consistent basis.

The third most important aspect is being able to motivate your players, engage with them and have them emotionally invest in your vision for the team.

The fourth most important ability is being able to identify on game day what is not working despite all of the above and be willing to adjust your side accordingly to produce the best chance of winning.

Now despite a coaches best efforts sometimes a side just has an off day emotionally and plays without intensity, sometimes circumstance with injury makes the likelihood of a win less and hell just like players I'm sure a coaching group can lose form also.

The best coaches like Clarkson will still lose games of football and after such sustained success the fall was always coming for his side but as we're presently seeing with Sydney and Fremantle the best coaches who have a proven track record look capable of turning around a sides fortunes in season or after a short period of seasons not finishing in the top 8.

During the first quarter against Hawthorn I thought I was about to witness a side no longer playing for the coach which is something I hadn't doubted all season. Thankfully for the club the fighting victory showed the players are still emotionally invested in the season and the coach and it's ironic that for a man who says his role isn't to motivate the players it's the biggest plus going for him at present. He gets a big tick for point 3.

They say Buckley has a high football IQ, I do believe that and it's why I was so strong in favour of the succession plan.

While I envisaged premiership success because of it the sad reality might be most players don't and the style he wants to play within the structures he sets is overly complicated and leads to confusion, which leads to loss of confidence, which leads to loss.

I have no way of knowing if this is indeed the case but I do know a good coach should be capable of identifying it well before year 6 and be willing and able to implement change that is best suited to the playing group at his disposal. On point 4 I remain neutral.

For mine though the biggest query about Buckley remains points 1 and 2 and has for many seasons now.

We just continually see the same patterns occurring both in terms of season results and how we play within a game and our inability to consistently produce our best football from one week to the next is something most of us find bewildering.

While I'd love to be proven wrong I just feel that despite his best intentions Buckley isn't capable of getting the best out of our list.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Swoop I basically agree but I think the motivation factor of the players at times seems sadly lacking and can be switched on and off like a light switch.
This I blame on players. They should be ready to play at all times. They are full time professionals with every need and whim catered to.
They have access to the best amenities available.
My issue is we seem to be stuck in a pattern of not being able to adjust our desired style of play to suit the opposition or conditions.
We've tried to play high possession football twice in the wet and came unstuck both times.
Our general over use of the handball is amazing at times.
The last perplexing thing for me is how several players the minute they get the ball look to go sideways or backwards as there first option instead of looking to attack.
Sidey is extremely bad for this. He averages just over 25 touches a game yet his average meters gained per disposals is under 13m this season. That in itself says a load about his mind set. We have only 3 midfielders averaging over 20m+ per disposal this season so basically nobody is going long as there first choice.
Yes I know some of it has to do with our style but more likely proves we over use the handball so much.
I'm with many and hope he can find a way to be the coach we need him to be I just don't see it.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:02 pm

swoop42 wrote:
The most important role a coach has is to implement a game style that is robust enough to stand up across a season and against differing opposition structures.

The second most important role is teaching the players to understand it throughout the season and off season so they can execute it properly on game day on a consistent basis.

The third most important aspect is being able to motivate your players, engage with them and have them emotionally invest in your vision for the team.

The fourth most important ability is being able to identify on game day what is not working despite all of the above and be willing to adjust your side accordingly to produce the best chance of winning.

Now despite a coaches best efforts sometimes a side just has an off day emotionally and plays without intensity, sometimes circumstance with injury makes the likelihood of a win less and hell just like players I'm sure a coaching group can lose form also.

The best coaches like Clarkson will still lose games of football and after such sustained success the fall was always coming for his side but as we're presently seeing with Sydney and Fremantle the best coaches who have a proven track record look capable of turning around a sides fortunes in season or after a short period of seasons not finishing in the top 8.

During the first quarter against Hawthorn I thought I was about to witness a side no longer playing for the coach which is something I hadn't doubted all season. Thankfully for the club the fighting victory showed the players are still emotionally invested in the season and the coach and it's ironic that for a man who says his role isn't to motivate the players it's the biggest plus going for him at present. He gets a big tick for point 3.

They say Buckley has a high football IQ, I do believe that and it's why I was so strong in favour of the succession plan.

While I envisaged premiership success because of it the sad reality might be most players don't and the style he wants to play within the structures he sets is overly complicated and leads to confusion, which leads to loss of confidence, which leads to loss.

I have no way of knowing if this is indeed the case but I do know a good coach should be capable of identifying it well before year 6 and be willing and able to implement change that is best suited to the playing group at his disposal. On point 4 I remain neutral.

For mine though the biggest query about Buckley remains points 1 and 2 and has for many seasons now.

We just continually see the same patterns occurring both in terms of season results and how we play within a game and our inability to consistently produce our best football from one week to the next is something most of us find bewildering.

While I'd love to be proven wrong I just feel that despite his best intentions Buckley isn't capable of getting the best out of our list.

Putting on my devils advocate hat, it could equally be argued that the consistent competitiveness of our team under Bucks, demonstrates that our game style and approach is robust and the players, for the most part, understand it and are implementing it.

Maybe, just maybe, our problems have nothing to do with the coach, but are simply to do with personnel. In particular, our lack of a single power forward makes it virtually impossible to take the next step up to being a genuine finals contender.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:34 pm

It is always to do with the coach, sometimes he might not have the cattle but he makes the best of it - we're not showing that, we never have
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:56 pm

I also believe Bucks does not have the manpower or players with the right skills to implement his game plan. However you would imagine as head coach he would have had a decent say in the players drafted to the club since 2013, so for me it is squarely on his shoulders.

Also I am not so neutral on swoops point 4. Twice in wet conditions we have played high handball transition footy that came unstuck and it was as clear as day by qtr time yet that pattern continued against Essendon and Carlton and they were good enough to meet our challenge throughout the rest of the game. Hawthorn and Brisbane would be the only 2 teams in the comp that we would beat currently after such a 1st quarter as was witnessed on Saturday night.

In the 3rd quarter not only did we play on 49% of the time (ranked no 1 last week) but we used it by foot more, i.e. a couple of handballs to release the player into space then the long kick. So it didn't matter so much that we only had Moore as a key target because our forward line was open so our smalls were able to become targets and lead out the back because of the space.

This is not the first time we have seen this type of football we have seen it occasionally over the last few years where Bucks has failed is to produce this type of football consistently (like he says almost every week post game). Give me the next 3 or 4 games of this type of football.

He have seen that while our list is not perfect and has a few holes that need filling it can play exciting football that can match anyone and this is why as I said on the post game thread on Saturday that it might be better for someone new with fresh ideas to take this list forward.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:42 pm

swoop42 wrote:

All good observations swoop, rudey and johno. Just to add my tuppence to the discussion, I think that's it all good to have structures, systems, game plans and set plays for the team selected to play each week, but the reality is that you are often going to be caught out by how the opposition plays against you on the day of the game. That's when you need your leaders on the field to take over from the coach who's sitting in the coaching box and make decisions affecting their teammates about how they are going to play to get back into the game. If you're short of leaders, the opposition team dictates terms and you succumb. On Saturday night against Hawthorn in the third quarter, you sensed from the stands that Adams, Pendlebury and Sidebottom were dictating terms out on the field and the usual Hawthorn suspects in Sam Mitchell and Lewis weren't out there to dish it back to us. Ultimately though, it comes back to the senior coach who gets behind the leaders at the start of the year and chooses the list and selects the team. It was deemed that last year we were short of leaders so we recruited Mayne who was a leader at Freemantle. You do your planning around the list, so I assume the plans were to play Mayne this year. The fact then that Mayne is not out there playing in the forward line, who then amongst our forward line is directing the troops in the forward line when things are not going to plan? Can Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Adams do it all? These are the questions you need to ask and if the answer is no, you need to ask why more wasn't done before the season started to get the right mix of players onto the field.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:21 pm

^^^
All good points raised above by a few posters
In reality the buck stops with Bucks.
I'm sure the players buy in to what he is saying and I'm positive he has a very good footy mind but can he effectively communicate it to the whole squad ?
As for leaders from 1/2 time onwards Pendles and Adams were the absolute catalysts for getting the team going. I actually looked back over the stats and both went at over 85% eff in the 3rd term (along with Wells, Smith, Dunn, Howe, Moore with Treloar Crisp Greenwood all over 75% & Sidey Elliott Blair all over 70% which as a team is a very good stat) (team collectively went at 74.2% for the term and for the game our kick to handballs was 234-193 so we actually kicked more than handballing for a change)
Our ball movement and structures really showed in the second half and maybe the coach tinkered or reinforced it to the group but whatever happened it turned around and we looked way better.
As many have said our inconsistency from term to term or game to game is a huge concern.
When we are on we are good but when we aren't we look shocking. This inconsistency has cost us at least 3 games this season we could and should be 6-3 but alas we aren't and we now have a huge mountain to climb to make finals. One thing in our favour is that the competition is quite even this year and no side has really set the world on fire every week and especially this sides ranked 5-12 so if we can string another 3 wins together and get back to 6-6 we will be right on the cusp of the 8 maybe a game and some % outside but gives us every chance to really push home in the second half of the season
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:32 pm

None of us really know, but coaches, in general, are overrated as a factor, provided they are basically competent. Clarkson is clearly a wonderful coach, yet he oversaw a 60 point turnaround in about a half of football on Saturday. If Buckley had done that, how many would be screaming for his head right now ?

The magic ingredients in any collective endeavour are talent, experience, confidence and leadership. The top management (i.e. The coach) has a role to play in leadership, but until the players get enough experience together to build their confidence and understanding of each other, it will never work right every time no matter what thecoach does. It is taking more time than I expected, but you can see it getting there soon, I think.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:06 am

The main excuse seems to be a lack of personnel, time and time again excusing Buckley from anything to do with recruiting. Seems a pretty shit coach if he has no say on who we recruit!

But if the personnel aren't able to execute his game plan then that is clearly the issue. The much hated boundary plan of Micks was created because that was the best plan for the team we had at the time.

Seems to me a good coach develops a game plan to suit his team and if he wants to do something else he recruits players to implement something different. After 6 years, Buckley clearly has NFI what he wants!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 88 of 100   

Jump to: