Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now, it's over
38%
 38%  [ 60 ]
Sack him mid-season, we aren't at DEFCON 1 just yet
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Sack him end of season, give him a dignified exit as he warms the seat
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Decide end of season (still think he's the man)
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
Decide end of season (he's lost me)
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Decide end of season (I genuinely don't know)
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Extend him now, he is The Chosen One!
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 156

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
ThePieMind wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
So you reckon that Moore, Grundy and White are at least equal to their Dogs opponents when the ball is on the ground or in terms of speed.
It didn't look like that last night to me.
As for the I50's.
Sides that play us seem to be happy with the I50 count going in our favor.
So long as our forward line is congested, which means we get more points than goals.
With an open forward line in their favor it is almost a certainty to score more goals than points.
We gave up 10 goals with this strategy.
A winning score is probably around 14 or so goals.
So the opponent needs to only score a goal or so a quarter in the conventional manner to win the game.

More rubbish - which teams are happy to give up I50's to us?
That is just ridiculous.

We didn't give away 10 goals we gave away net 38 points, according to post game on FOX.

At least spend sometime quoting facts rather than speculation and conjecture.
Your anti Buckley bent is known but to distort reality to support it is very transparent.

Do you honestly think they didn't plan for big forwards, high defensive press,
and a highly rated some say number one midfield in the comp.
They knew we were going to keep pumping it into the forwards with the usual bomb it slow and bomb it long Bux forward strategy.
Given they are 5 weeks or more behind us in prep time they did enough in second gear to beat us.
I don't think you understand footy that much.
Tell me the good attributes of Bux coaching credentials.
Tell me the attributes that has shone in 5 years that has the footy world clapping.
Tell me about his game day tactics, his game day strategies, his development of players, tell me of his innovation in his coaching.
Give me some examples!!!!!
But no we get the usual "i am a anti bux troll" or whatever

That's your answer to everything Thompsoc. "Give me an example and I'll accept your view"
Well you tried this on me last year with Blair, I gave you more than one example, it was fact and you still then found excuses for your wrong views. So give you examples, no I won't waste my time and neither should anyone else because no matter how many examples we give you, you are too blind or too stuck in your view to change. I suggest you come up with another line.

Well Kymbo in relation to Blair exhibit A was his game last
In relation to Bux Exhibit B was his coaching last night.
Well at least Kymbo you were not too abusive with your post.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm the first to call out Bucks if I feel it's warranted and I get peoples frustration about last night in regards to certain aspects but the fact is we put ourselves in a position to win against the reigning premier with some critical skill errors by players at important times the major reason we lost.

That is generally the fault of the player and not the game plan of the coach and I fully expect us to improve on this most weeks.

We weren't at our best in terms of personnel and performance but our energy and commitment to the task was excellent outside 15 minutes in the 3rd.

The real test is to now see if we can bring that same level of effort against Richmond next week.

If we can I think we'll win and it will be cause for optimism going forward.

If we can't then perhaps it's another frustrating false dawn.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Holy snappin assholes, we lose to the Premiers by two goals, tired our guts out, and the knives are out after one loss ! Had Moore and Cox held two marks they should have, we win, had Elliott and bloody de goey played, we win, along with Wells, Langdon, and Schrenberg, if he can ever get right. Jeeesus, if we are 0=4 then start this crap, but I guess the OP was salivating over a loss, so he could yet again, yet again, start up a loathe Bucks thread, after one loss. ! Like others I'm outa here, this is just juevenile bullshit childish garbage, after one round losss to last seasons top team. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Good to see the Buckley sycophants are in this thread, too.

Look, everyone want Buckley to succeed. But like Voss and like Hird, he was a champion player. As a coach, he's average.

It's hard to let go of someone who bled for the club; but I'll give credit where credit is due because Buckley did say he will not be there next season if he doesn't make finals.

Hopefully the Buckley sycophants will finally then accept that the man doesn't cut it as a coach at this level. He's had six years to prove it and we've gone backwards, every season. I hope that wasn't the case. Any other person with that record wouldn't have made it past season 2 at Collingwood. He's there because of what he contributed as a player. Not as a coach. That's the truth as much as it is hard for many to accept it.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Sensei Grundy wrote:
Good to see the Buckley sycophants are in this thread, too.

Look, everyone want Buckley to succeed. But like Voss and like Hird, he was a champion player. As a coach, he's average.

It's hard to let go of someone who bled for the club; but I'll give credit where credit is due because Buckley did say he will not be there next season if he doesn't make finals.

Hopefully the Buckley sycophants will finally then accept that the man doesn't cut it as a coach at this level. He's had six years to prove it and we've gone backwards, every season. I hope that wasn't the case. Any other person with that record wouldn't have made it past season 2 at Collingwood. He's there because of what he contributed as a player. Not as a coach. That's the truth as much as it is hard for many to accept it.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

It's hard to accept that a club great can be such an epic failure. If it wasn't Bucks, he would have been given the arse after year 3. But here we are in year 6 and the club is plagued with the same problems over the past 4 years.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
No worries mate. Keep just answering my questions and nominating Sinclair and greenwood like they are $£$%^%%$ future Brownlow winners. Oh and throw wells in the pile too... Mediocrity reigns

Seriously, we $£$%^%%$ smashed the dogs tonight in all key statistical indicators. And at no point did we ever threaten to win the game. Are you seriously happy with that?

Clueless indeed

How about you stop putting words in my mouth, instead of making assumptions on what I think of the senior coach and various senior players on the injury list.

I never said anything that remotely interprets me saying that Sinclair and Greenwood are future Brownlow winners. I merely stated that amongst others, that they're on the injury list after you posed the question in your opening post.

No, I'm not happy we lost the game despite winning all the key stats, which on most occasions would have netted us the four points.

I said in the post-match thread that our over-reliance on the midfield will be a concern if Buckley and the coaching staff do not rectify the problems of the forward line and defence. Namely, the delivery of the ball entering forward 50 and the defence pressing up too high which results in us being killed on the rebound as the Dogs did to us last night.

We have a modest injury list, but far from the worst I've seen. It will be very useful for the side when Elliott returns to the forward line and the likes of De Goey and Wells return to the side, whenever that may be, but I do worry about our depth if either Grundy, Reid or Moore are on the sidelines for an extended period of time.

We had massive injury lists in 2004/2005 when we struggled under Malthouse, and most supporters were reasonable enough to understand that he was on a hiding to nothing at various stages through that period, yet I still remember supporters calling for his head even then. I bet you were one of them.

I have many reservations about Nathan as our senior coach as I duly noted last year on many occasions and I still worry about his ability to fix our deficiencies, but I think demanding him to be sacked after one match into the new season, following a narrow two-goal loss to the reigning premiers comes across as nothing but disingenuous to those reading this thread.

If we're on a hiding to nothing come the halfway point of the year, then your demands for a coaching change will have more credibility, and for what's it's worth, I may actually agree with your proposition of a coaching change occurring at the club if the worst scenario plays out this year.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:16 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I'm the first to call out Bucks if I feel it's warranted and I get peoples frustration about last night in regards to certain aspects but the fact is we put ourselves in a position to win against the reigning premier with some critical skill errors by players at important times the major reason we lost.

That is generally the fault of the player and not the game plan of the coach and I fully expect us to improve on this most weeks.

We weren't at our best in terms of personnel and performance but our energy and commitment to the task was excellent outside 15 minutes in the 3rd.

The real test is to now see if we can bring that same level of effort against Richmond next week.

If we can I think we'll win and it will be cause for optimism going forward.

If we can't then perhaps it's another frustrating false dawn.

Excellent post, Swoop. Very balanced outlook at the current situation of the coach and team.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:21 pm

I suppose the interesting question is .... would it matter if Bux was sacked monday morning?
Do you think it would be detrimental to the club for the next few years?
Coaches are a dime a dozen.
What do you hope to gain by keeping Bux on?
Serious question.
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm

If Buckley fails this year, he will not coach again. No team will give him the chance again. Sadly. For him. Cause I feel his playing legacy is being eroded a little bit as every year passes by he's the coach of this club.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:31 pm

I think it's important that Buckley the player and Buckley the coach are always mutually exclusive whenever we judge his coaching abilities. I don't think Buckley's coaching record diminishes his playing legacy whatsoever.

I agree that theoretically that it would be very difficult to mount a case for him to stay on after 2017 if he fails, but what constitutes a "failure" in your mind? Not playing finals? Winning less than 10 matches? Not finishing top 6?

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Jezza wrote:
I think it's important that Buckley the player and Buckley the coach are always mutually exclusive whenever we judge his coaching abilities. I don't think Buckley's coaching record diminishes his playing legacy whatsoever.

I agree that theoretically that it would be very difficult to mount a case for him to stay on after 2017 if he fails, but what constitutes a "failure" in your mind? Not playing finals? Winning less than 10 matches? Not finishing top 6?

Interesting question.
I suppose the club going backwards re ladder position
in the last 5 years is an indicator.
But even that isn't that great of an indicator.
I suppose to me it is whether we are on the right track to contest for a flag.
And to me we aren't.
It really is pretty subjective and I will take my cue from the Castle...it is the vibe.
I expect we will make the 8 this year.
I have said that a few times of late but I still think this would be a false dawn.
Bux may win us a flag ...I hope so!!!!!
But I reckon that is really wishful thinking.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Vibrating how, specifically?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:50 pm

HAL wrote:
Vibrating how, specifically?

I reckon you need a vibrator right between you know where Hal.
Can't you get a better avatar than that.
It is on par with mine!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Interesting question.
I suppose the club going backwards re ladder position
in the last 5 years is an indicator.
But even that isn't that great of an indicator.
I suppose to me it is whether we are on the right track to contest for a flag.
And to me we aren't.
It really is pretty subjective and I will take my cue from the Castle...it is the vibe.
I expect we will make the 8 this year.
I have said that a few times of late but I still think this would be a false dawn.
Bux may win us a flag ...I hope so!!!!!
But I reckon that is really wishful thinking.

The decline is difficult to grapple with when you try to understand the reasons behind it and how this fits in with Buckley's coaching ability. Buckley started his coaching career at a time when the playing squad had just peaked through 2010/2011, but began to slowly decline in the subsequent years. The decline was already becoming somewhat evident in the latter stages of 2011 as well.

Most coaches generally start with a new club when that club is toward the bottom end of the ladder, so this in itself is unusual for our coach. Geelong has sustained their reach at the top longer than us, but many Geelong supporters are still unsure of Chris Scott's ability to deliver them long-term success and they have gone down the route of topping up rather than extensively rebuilding the way we have.

Our club had two choices at the end of 2013 where we essentially reached the crossroads in a way. Either change the coach after two seasons and persist with the squad of players we had (mainly Malthouse's team) with a few minor tweaks here and there and hoping we could sustain our longevity at the top for a little longer, or have a major cull and rebuild the list with Buckley to lead us through this period of rebuild and hopefully garnering success in the long-term.

Rightly or wrongly, they chose the latter and I think most supporters by the start of 2014 realised what was happening and decided to see how we would progress before making further calls and challenges to Buckley's job security.

It's been more than three years since the rebuild began so supporters are rightfully entitled to some reciprocation now and even many Buckley supporters on this forum have acknowledged that if he fails to deliver this year, then the time for change would be appropriate. We all want him to succeed, but I'm not afraid to call him out if he fails to deliver on his promise.

Are we on the road to a premiership in the near futrue? That's a difficult question to answer at the moment. As it stands, it doesn't feel like it, but can that be changed with simply a coaching change, or is their something fundamentally wrong that goes deeper than just the coach itself if this is the case. I'm more uncertain than anything else when I ponder this question.

STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:01 pm

Buckley can't kick it for the players if he could we would have won easily. Nothing wrong with the game plan if anything I thought we played around the boundary a bit more. Only thing that beat us was crucial errors and poor kicking at times, dogs made us pay on turnover
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 4 of 100   

Jump to: