Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now, it's over
38%
 38%  [ 60 ]
Sack him mid-season, we aren't at DEFCON 1 just yet
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Sack him end of season, give him a dignified exit as he warms the seat
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Decide end of season (still think he's the man)
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
Decide end of season (he's lost me)
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Decide end of season (I genuinely don't know)
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Extend him now, he is The Chosen One!
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 156

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - both of them Norm Smith Medallists.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:27 pm

E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
35forever wrote:
Quote:
"In my book, we are currently fielding a team each week without a quality FB, CHB, CHF or FF. We should be getting smashed each week, but in fact are still in the hunt for a finals berth. To me that's a major tick to Bucks."

Wow E, that is so wrong it's incredible. Your book should be burned! Are you Donald Trump by any chance?
Sorry, that's over the line, I apologise.

But still, you ARE very very wrong. Here's why:

1. Those set positions are a thing of the past, they only exist so you know who your opponent is. At best now you have Key backs, running backs, mids, inside & outside, and small & big forwards. We have guns in ALL of those spots, even better we have great teams in all those areas. I gave up playing at 18 because at 6'5" I was always made to play ruck. All day. I hated rucking. I wanted to play Forward like my hero Peter McKenna. The way the game's played these days I could have, at least part of the time. (also I was in North Melbourne's area, I couldn't deal with that, transfers weren't easy back then)

2. Our backline is strong, & getting stronger as guys like Shazza return. Dunne has been excellent, and he & Howe are becoming the basis of a top 4 backline, especially when you add Maynard who is an out 7 out gun. He makes the odd mistake because he's played just 39 games. But when he gets it right he can be spectacular. Then we have Schade, all 8 games of him. He is a great mark and a top defender wearing some forwards like a wetsuit. Again, a mistake here & there might cost a goal, but if we kicked straight who would care? Then you have Ramma, Reid, Shazza & Smith, 4 absolute stars on their day, and lets not forget Goldy, playing like it was 2010! That hard ball get and pass started one of the best goals of the season.
If we have no backs why is our worst score against 104 pts, and we've only had more than 100 scored on us twice, Adelaide has had over 100 scored on them 3 times, their worst against scores are 145 & 107. Hawthorn's are 139 134, and 130, GWS has had 137 & 108. Ours are 104 & 102. Not doing too bad. The reason Adelaide are on top is simply kicking straight. Once you do this a few times it becomes a habit and you expect to make every set shot, when that happens you usually do. Our worst loss has been 23 points, after that 18 points. The top sides have all lost by more. Have a look at the number of scoring shots, we're having as many as most, but were losing. Look at Anzac, an 18 point loss despite more scoring shots. I promise you, If we kick straight we make the top 4.

So we are NOT as you say, "getting smashed each week". Nor are we "fielding a team each week without a quality FB, CHB, CHF or FF. ". Nothing of the sort, we are simply fielding a team each week without a quality coach.

you know it, I know it, we all know it. The only one who doesn't is Nathan Buckley. If this weren't true I wouldn't be shooting down the same excuses each week, I would be getting examples of the great coaching moves we make, like I've been asking for for years, I still haven't gotten a single answer.
The only other problem we face is the umpiring which goes against us each week, and has done since I can remember. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Ed doesn't go to the AFL and ask for an inquiry as to whether or not there is a cultural bias against Collingwood inherent in all umpires, especially those raised in Victoria. This can be easily proven by looking at any game. Not simply free kick count, but where and when these are applied, and where & when they are missed. Got a video or Foxtel? Go through any game and look at these aspects of the umpiring, make notes, keep tallies, you will find it a verifiable fact. I don't believe they are cheating, in fact I don't even believe they do it deliberately, but by god, I can prove it happens each week. It has cost us games regularly, and certainly cost us one Flag this century (2002).

Have a nice day,
Go Pies!

You may need to apologise to E as the quote you are responding to was actually mine.

It's clear most Nicksters are already set in their opinions on Bucks. I'm not going to change yours and nothing you say will change mine. After all it is what it is. However, I think your Point 1 misses the point! While it is true that traditional fixed positions of FB, CHB, CHF and FF no longer apply, most successful teams still have quality talls, whom I call KPPs. I think we are desperately lacking in this area, but you obviously don't think so. That's fair enough, it would be pretty boring on Nicks if we all had the same opinions. Cheers

Thanks Rudeboy. I can typically get myself into trouble with my opinions so I don't need to be blamed for yours (even though I agree with you 100%). Anyone who thinks KPP are a thing of the past need only look at how straight Port Adelaide played tonight with Dixon and Westhoff up forward and how rudderless Hawthorn were without any bigs.

A dominant KPP allows you to bomb it into their area and know you have a good chance of maintaining possession. The confidence of knowing you can take chances because the bomb it long to the big guy option actually helps create run and carry as well as because you can take the game on. If you know you have no one to kick it to, you are more likely to get it turn around and find the safe option sideways or backwards.

This means you don't score from half chances.

Spot on E and RB.
The Dogs premiership will always be the argument against but it's an anomaly in modern footy and stats show that Dogs set precedents in other areas and the end result was more time with the ball and entries into their own 50.
I will add to your comments on the need for two ( or more, depending on their mobility ) KPFs in a forward line set up.
The use of the extra defender is more previlant than ever in today's game.
Quality KPFs divide and separate the opposition defenders. Even if the opposition set up with an extra, he can only go to support one of his team mates. It's harder than ever to take a contested mark in your own forward line these days.
Lynch at the GCS has hardly enjoyed a one out contest all year because there is no real presence around him ( wright is on the verge of being dropped ) Eagles recruited Petrie to help Kennedy just to allow him more one on ones. Now you look at the crows and giants with three talls each and the number of times they enjoy one out contests against their opponents.
I tend to agree that we have been reasobably competitive given that our list is currently so bereft of any tall talent forward of centre.

Having said all that, I also believe that Bucks is IN PART, also responsible for the skewed list profile at the moment.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Another win with positive influence from the coaches box.

Another win from a team down, hurt but playing their hearts out.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Another demonstration that Bucks has completely lost the players. Rolling Eyes
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:01 pm

I've always maintained keeping him on until the rest of the year and then the club can decide what to do next. My opinion remains unchanged at this stage.

At 5-6, he's in a decent position to make a push for the eight if the stars begin to align.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Jezza wrote:
I've always maintained keeping him on until the rest of the year and then the club can decide what to do next. My opinion remains unchanged at this stage.

At 5-6, he's in a decent position to make a push for the eight if the stars begin to align.

The Stars did align with Sandilands unable to play today. Hogan and Gawn out next week will help against Melbourne. However not good if we lose Elliot, Wells and Goldsack next week.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Another demonstration that Bucks has completely lost the players. Rolling Eyes

Not sure many believe he'd lost the players.

To me it's evident he hasn't.

The doubt is whether his philosophy of how the game should be played allows the talent on our list to be the best it can be.

Great win today but the jury is still out until we see how the remainder of the year plays out.

As Healy quite rightly said the club will be looking for a bounce in performance and the declining graph of results to turn upwards for the coach to be retained.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 pm
Post subject: Keep BucksReply with quote

All those who called for Bucks sacking hang your heads in shame! We are one game shy of sixth position on the ladder. We will play finals and I predicted we will at least make a Preliminary this year if not further. Re sign Bucks now!
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:05 pm

It's all about getting the consistency in effort and understanding of the plan.

Need to see more of it and narrowing the gap between our best and worst.

Bucks has had a long time to get this right. Starting with today's game the next block of 5 games will tell us a lot.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Johnno75 wrote:

Bucks has had a long time to get this right. Starting with today's game the next block of 5 games will tell us a lot.

I actually think that game-plans, structures and processes are grossly overrated. It's football. It aint rocket science. There's no one way of playing to win. The main thing a coach has to do is get the players playing their guts out and supporting each other. Premiership teams are always imo, the team which plays the hardest and supports each other the most. On these scores, Bucks has had our boys firing ALL YEAR. Only poor goal kicking has let us down and resulted in us losing at least a couple of games. Still, I reckon we can still make the 8. Go Pies!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Keep BucksReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
All those who called for Bucks sacking hang your heads in shame! We are one game shy of sixth position on the ladder. We will play finals and I predicted we will at least make a Preliminary this year if not further. Re sign Bucks now!

Hiss has spoken, so it is written, so it shall be done. Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:49 pm

He is the right man for the job and will be resigned. The players would be up in arms if they tried to move on him. They love him. Bucks is our next premiership coach.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:54 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

I actually think that game-plans, structures and processes are grossly overrated. It's football. It aint rocket science. There's no one way of playing to win. The main thing a coach has to do is get the players playing their guts out and supporting each other. Premiership teams are always imo, the team which plays the hardest and supports each other the most. On these scores, Bucks has had our boys firing ALL YEAR. Only poor goal kicking has let us down and resulted in us losing at least a couple of games. Still, I reckon we can still make the 8. Go Pies!

That is spot on Rude.
There's only 4 teans (Adelaide, gws, cats & port) who've had more scoring shots than us.
Kick straight and we'd be in the top 4 now, let alone the to 8.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Our defence is rock solid, in all our losses this season, our worst loss by a tad over four goals, most other teams have had thrashings, even the crows lost by eighty points, Hawks have been belted, cats have lost by more than four snags, as have port, dees, saints. Our mids are very good too, we get the ball inside fifty heaps of times, get our forward line functioning on all cylinders, and we will be cherry ripe, this season and beyond.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 am

I have always wanted him to break through, and it has taken much longer than I expected, but I hope that we are now seeing the light coming over the horizon. The talent base has grown back, and we are consolidating experience, both in AFL games and in terms of playing together. I think we have also benefitted enormously from the commitment, in recent weeks, to go with a smaller forward line. For a long time we used to leak Joe the Goose goals out the back, and this has mostly stopped. I think it is because we have increased our two way run, rather than having several talls lumbering after the ball when it is turned over. Perhaps it took Buckley too long to work out the answer, but it seems that we have done so.

Unfortunately the injury gods are now gathering to spoil some of that consolidation again, but it is not obvious to me that another coach will do better with this list. Unless the wheels fall off, I expect that he will be re-signed for 2018.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 96 of 100   

Jump to: