Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now, it's over
38%
 38%  [ 60 ]
Sack him mid-season, we aren't at DEFCON 1 just yet
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Sack him end of season, give him a dignified exit as he warms the seat
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Decide end of season (still think he's the man)
14%
 14%  [ 23 ]
Decide end of season (he's lost me)
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Decide end of season (I genuinely don't know)
16%
 16%  [ 26 ]
Extend him now, he is The Chosen One!
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 156

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Another step closer to keeping the job Bucks.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Miss the finals again and he must go. He doesn't even look close to winning anything, other than maybe a wooden spoon.

WE beat the wooden spooners yesterday, or did that escape you, wolfie boy Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Quote:
Beat the Dockers, in Perth, and this thread might start looking a tad silly.

yeah, like the last four years never happened...
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:31 pm

The ox is slow but the earth is patient.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:39 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Quote:
Beat the Dockers, in Perth, and this thread might start looking a tad silly.

yeah, like the last four years never happened...

yeh,like the last four years of crippling injuries never happened too eh. Surprised

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:55 pm

Gonna be a Panelist on Footy Classfieds for a Few Weeks
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:20 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Seriously, wow, you can replace that annoying little Hutchy ! Shocked

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:30 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Miss the finals again and he must go. He doesn't even look close to winning anything, other than maybe a wooden spoon.

WE beat the wooden spooners yesterday, or did that escape you, wolfie boy Confused

As I said, a lot closer to a spoon than a flag. Or has that escaped you for the last 5-6 years piesnchess.

What I was bluntly pointing out was if we are going to win anything under Bucks, it's going to be a spoon. If we had lost the last 2 weeks instead of winning, we'd be just about there.

PS: I think we'll be soundly beaten in WA next week.

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 am

Damien wrote:
The ox is slow but the earth is patient.

Actually, the Ox is about to retire......

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 am

Piesnchess wrote:

As I said, a lot closer to a spoon than a flag. Or has that escaped you for the last 5-6 years piesnchess.

What I was bluntly pointing out was if we are going to win anything under Bucks, it's going to be a spoon. If we had lost the last 2 weeks instead of winning, we'd be just about there.

bucks is the rare coach who not only had to coach during the rebuild, he also had to coach during the declining years. a lot of coaches coach the rebuild (few make it to the other side). I cant think of another coach who had to coach the declining side and then the rebuild (this is because few teams fire a premiership coach). Bucks might just make it through! I am starting to believe.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

When I first read this I thought the one and only DTM was to appear!
But no such luck, as I now believe it is the one and only Mr Boring Bux is getting the gig.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

But no such luck, as I now believe it is the one and only Mr Boring Bux is getting the gig.

What he's going to get back on Tv...?!? Now that really is foolish imo. He's got enough on his plate without adding to it.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:08 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

What he's going to get back on Tv...?!? Now that really is foolish imo. He's got enough on his plate without adding to it.

He has won 2 games in a row against bottom sides....so time to crow.

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Like all Magpie supporters I'm terribly disappointed that we've had very poor results for the past few years. In terms of results alone, it's hard not to agree with those who think we need a new coach. However, I'm of the view that there are a whole range of factors which impact on a team's performance, including first and foremost, the quality of the players. As well there is the stability of the football department. In regards the first issue, I think we suffered in recent years due to the early and rapid decline of Travis Cloke, the chronic injuries to Reid and our absence (until this year) of a dominant ruckman. In addition, the revolving door of our Director of Football position has been disastrous. Despite all that, I genuinely feel that Bucks has got better and better as a coach and the competitiveness of our team each week demonstrates they are on side with him. Finally, I really only think that a coach should be moved on when the team is being regularly spanked and the players no longer believe. On that score, history would suggest it was wrong of Eddie to replace MM when he did. However, that is now ancient history. The point is, we are playing very competitive football, we are improving week by week, and if we had only kicked more accurately we would be sitting near the top 4 right now. I still think we can make the 8, but regardless of where we finish, while the players keep giving their all and trying to implement Bucks' game plan each week, then I firmly believe we should stick with Bucks. I'm not persuaded by arguments from outsiders and amateurs (like me) about the supposed faults of Bucks gameplan. There isno one way to win games of footy. The most important thing is that the strategy of the coach is embraced and implemented by the players. On that score, I'm convinced the players are in sync with the coach, and that's good enough for me. The results, this year, next year or the one after that, will look after themselves.

I get what your saying Rude, and I all along have said Buckley is not solely at fault for where the club is at. The stupidity of those higher up the chain at Collingwood on occasions is quite breath taking "we will win a flag in the next 3 years" talk at the time i thought was just a stupid membership grab line. But it did nothing more then heap pressure on a new coach. We were never going to be in the race for the premership GWS (and at the time i thought Gold Coast) would be owning the competition for the next three to five years.

Anyway the problem as I see is it is that...even IF we turn it around and storm our way towards finals at the end of the season....say we finish ninth.....what does the club do? It (Collingwood) has pained itself into a corner (and indeed Buckley has in a sense done the same) top eight or bust.

You either hand Buckley a two year extension (one year would be basically saying we have no faith in you yet, we are keeping you on....worst of both worlds).

Or the club sacks him..... In the event we do make a run towards finals this could look very very bad.

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:09 pm

E wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

bucks is the rare coach who not only had to coach during the rebuild, he also had to coach during the declining years. a lot of coaches coach the rebuild (few make it to the other side). I cant think of another coach who had to coach the declining side and then the rebuild (this is because few teams fire a premiership coach). Bucks might just make it through! I am starting to believe.

Bucks is the rare coach who was handed a young, improving team that won the flag in 2010 and was even better in 2011.
The strength of the team was a core midfield of Pendleberry, Swan, Beams, Thomas, and Sidebottom. This was backed by defenders Shaw and Maxwell, and a forward line anchored by Cloke.
Yet instead of continuing the improvement, the team with the same core went backwards.
He then remodelled the team to the type of players he wanted and still the slide continued.
5 years of the team's win/loss declining under one coach is unprecedented. It hasn't happened in the last 65 years at least.

Surely he has to go if we dont make finals (which doesnt look likely).
If we dont win at least 9 games, that would be 6 years of deterioration. Surely no coach can survive that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 92 of 100   

Jump to: