Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
Post Match. Pies lose to Bulldogs - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
What'sinaname 



Joined: 29 May 2010
Location: In the cloud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
no it is Guillard, Rudd, Abbott and Mr Habourside Mansion


That's three changes.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Member 7167 

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.


Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Location: The Collibran Hideout

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least we are sitting in a better position after 1 loss than what we achieved last year. We are now 11th. I am confident we will improve from here.
_________________
When does poor or inconsistent umpiring become blatant cheating?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
ronrat 



Joined: 22 May 2006
Location: Thailand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand the <snip> saying Varcoe must go. He ran in realised contact was inevevitable and did every thing he could to stop an injury. Not off the gtround, back turned. If they start rubbing blokes out for that they need to seriously change thae rules. front on contact and no frees. %$^$%^&%% me. If Trav hac of jumped and tried that little toerag Dallhouse would not be playing for 10 weeks. Neither would he. It is a contact game and if you don't like it follow something else. <snip - please refrain from such sweeping generalisations in the future thanks - the mods>
_________________
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
What'sinaname 



Joined: 29 May 2010
Location: In the cloud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
I just don't understand the <snip> saying Varcoe must go. He ran in realised contact was inevevitable and did every thing he could to stop an injury. Not off the gtround, back turned. If they start rubbing blokes out for that they need to seriously change thae rules. front on contact and no frees. %$^$%^&%% me. If Trav hac of jumped and tried that little toerag Dallhouse would not be playing for 10 weeks. Neither would he. It is a contact game and if you don't like it follow something else. <snip - please refrain from such sweeping generalisations in the future thanks - the mods>


It's pretty easy really. Varcoe is gone because he bumped a player off the ball for starters, and then hit him in the head. The only at he may have been OK was if the bump occurred in a contest for the ball. As it wasn't, Trav will be taking a 1-2 week holiday.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Mugwump 



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Location: Oxford, England

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
ronrat wrote:
I just don't understand the <snip> saying Varcoe must go. He ran in realised contact was inevevitable and did every thing he could to stop an injury. Not off the gtround, back turned. If they start rubbing blokes out for that they need to seriously change thae rules. front on contact and no frees. %$^$%^&%% me. If Trav hac of jumped and tried that little toerag Dallhouse would not be playing for 10 weeks. Neither would he. It is a contact game and if you don't like it follow something else. <snip - please refrain from such sweeping generalisations in the future thanks - the mods>


It's pretty easy really. Varcoe is gone because he bumped a player off the ball for starters, and then hit him in the head. The only at he may have been OK was if the bump occurred in a contest for the ball. As it wasn't, Trav will be taking a 1-2 week holiday.


I think the video merits careful watching. While his head jerks, I don't think t is clear that Varcoe did hit him in the head. The jerk may well be impact from the body, Dahlhaus did not seem at all concussed. It's certainly very contestable. If he goes I'd say it's 1 week max.

_________________
Two more flags before I die!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Raw Hammer 



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Location: The Gutter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood had the third lowest score of the weekend. Kind of indicative of our forward power.

Moore - Cox - White - Blair - Mayne is just a beige as f*** forward line of which I haven't seen too many worse listed at Pieland. I mentioned it pre game. I mentioned it to Bucks at the 2013 members' forum. I dunno. I give up. When you watch the slillfull front and centre squads around the league, WTF has Hine built???

_________________
Est. 2002
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
derkd 



Joined: 29 May 2013


PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
ronrat wrote:
I just don't understand the <snip> saying Varcoe must go. He ran in realised contact was inevevitable and did every thing he could to stop an injury. Not off the gtround, back turned. If they start rubbing blokes out for that they need to seriously change thae rules. front on contact and no frees. %$^$%^&%% me. If Trav hac of jumped and tried that little toerag Dallhouse would not be playing for 10 weeks. Neither would he. It is a contact game and if you don't like it follow something else. <snip - please refrain from such sweeping generalisations in the future thanks - the mods>


It's pretty easy really. Varcoe is gone because he bumped a player off the ball for starters, and then hit him in the head. The only at he may have been OK was if the bump occurred in a contest for the ball. As it wasn't, Trav will be taking a 1-2 week holiday.


I think the video merits careful watching. While his head jerks, I don't think t is clear that Varcoe did hit him in the head. The jerk may well be impact from the body, Dahlhaus did not seem at all concussed. It's certainly very contestable. If he goes I'd say it's 1 week max.



Contact on the head i agree was questionable...what is not. was what he did....it was off the ball ...silly reckless act. He will get a week and deserved. I like him as a player but that was a dumb move that achieved nothing....had me shaking my head in the same way Sidey did last year...we were already down...stuff like that does not help anyone.....Would have been a handy player against the tigers.

Edit: saw the replay of it again.....in slow motion top of shoulder makes contact with jaw. will be in strife 2 weeks. saving grace for Trav is that he got up and kept playing.

_________________
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
MightyMagpie 



Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Location: WA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on ... we aren't allowed to make sweeping generalisations???
_________________
All We Can Be
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
jackcass Cancer



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Location: Bendigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm more optimistic than I have been for quite some time. Remember the bookies had the bulldogs at very short odds, suggesting we were in for a smashing. That did not happen. We were extremely competitive against the best team in the comp. We can't be unhappy with that.

I actually think our team just needs a bit of tweaking, to improve us by 5-10% and that will have us beating most sides without doubt. Currently the absence of De Goey, Wells and Greenwood has reduced our midfield depth and forced us to play Sidey in the middle for lengthy spells. He has shown that when he's playing around our goals, the goals will come. I reckon that our forward line will function significantly better when we have both Sidey and Elliott playing as traditional forward pockets. Obviously it's going to be crucial that we get the structure right playing Moore, Cox, White and Grundy. With Grundy our first ruck, it's clear that Cox and White need to spend time on the bench so at any one time we only have 2 key forwards. That's why I think we'll persevere with Cox, because, if nothing else, he is emerging as a very good tap ruckman.

As others have noted, we also have to improve our shape and structure, so as to avoid letting teams run the ball the length of the ground scoring easy goals without any pressure. To be honest, I'm not sure how we stop that, but I've got confidence that Bucks, Sanderson and Burns will identify our mistakes and teach our team how to tighten up defensively. So all in all, though I'm still disappointed we missed a fabulous chance to begin the season with a win, I'm optimistic we are heading in the right direction and already look better than last year. Having said that, the Tigers game is a must win. Go Pies!

PS. For those clamoring for us to play Kirby on the back of his 3 goal hall in a VFL practice game, the word is the club is working to significantly improve his fitness, so he can do all the defensive running necessary to prevent those easy opposition goals we are all so concerned about. So let the kid get on with playing good footy in the VFL, and when he's physically ready, as with young Daics, he'll get a game and be equipped to have an immediate impact at senior level.


I agree Rudey, not too far off. Clean up some transitition. Stop propping around the midfield, you improve the F50 entry and you're there abouts. Comes down to chemistry and work rate.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
jackcass Cancer



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Location: Bendigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mooretreloar wrote:
No doubt some of our poor skill execution on Friday night was self inflicted. However, some of the poor skill execution and what seemed like poor skill execution was brought about by the Dogs pressure acts and team defence.

If you watch the game closely their pressure acts were first class, such as excellent manning of the mark, great tackling and harassment of the player with the ball and bumping our player as they kicked or handballed.

A number of times we looked like we were going to mark inside 50, but the Dogs team defence was exemplary. Smothers, spoils and leaving their opponent to help their teammate, made our skills look worse than they were. Looking at that game closely there were about a dozen times this team defence saved them from us scoring.

No doubt our skills have to improve if we want to beat the top sides and this will come with continually exposing our young list to the pressure the Dogs and other top sides bring.

I think you will find our skills will be just fine against inferior opposition to the Dogs. If we butcher the ball again on Thursday night against inferior opposition, then I will be very concerned, as this is the only way Richmond have a chance of beating us.

The other thing that will help our skills are personnel changes, with the likes of Wells, Elliot and Broomhead being excellent ball users.


Yep this. Much of it perceived pressure.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
derkd 



Joined: 29 May 2013


PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:
No doubt some of our poor skill execution on Friday night was self inflicted. However, some of the poor skill execution and what seemed like poor skill execution was brought about by the Dogs pressure acts and team defence.

If you watch the game closely their pressure acts were first class, such as excellent manning of the mark, great tackling and harassment of the player with the ball and bumping our player as they kicked or handballed.

A number of times we looked like we were going to mark inside 50, but the Dogs team defence was exemplary. Smothers, spoils and leaving their opponent to help their teammate, made our skills look worse than they were. Looking at that game closely there were about a dozen times this team defence saved them from us scoring.

No doubt our skills have to improve if we want to beat the top sides and this will come with continually exposing our young list to the pressure the Dogs and other top sides bring.

I think you will find our skills will be just fine against inferior opposition to the Dogs. If we butcher the ball again on Thursday night against inferior opposition, then I will be very concerned, as this is the only way Richmond have a chance of beating us.

The other thing that will help our skills are personnel changes, with the likes of Wells, Elliot and Broomhead being excellent ball users.


Yep this. Much of it perceived pressure.



agree, I think also it is a lesson that we can not afford the slow starts to quarters ah la 1st and after about the 1 min mark of the 3rd. Our pressure has to be maintained or else we will keep coming up short against the top teams.

_________________
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
jackcass Cancer



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Location: Bendigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
Yeah, I like it a lot too, but speaking as a Buckley diehard, I am still concerned that we leak those easy slingshot goals but never seem to get any ourselves. It has been happening way too long, and it's beginning to look like it is a flawed tactical strategy somewhere, rather than perosnnnel deficiency.

Other than that, I'm genuinely excited about how far we can go, as this list has some serious power. Three of the best players on our list were missing last night, and there were times when we looked awesome. Given a bit of a reprieve from the injury gods, I think it is going to be a good ride, 2017.


I think the slingshot goals are largely a consequence of:

1. Work rate of forwards and mids. If these guys aren't minding their opponent the defense moves forward to intercept allowing their own opponents to dash forward.
2. Turnovers in the midfield. An absolute killer as these generally occur when the side is charging forward. Opposition forwards have confidence we'll turn it over and lag behind for the easy rebound.
3. Slow transition through the midfield on offense. We allow the opposition to set up behind us which only heightens the propensity for turnovers.

We don't get as many because our forwards and mids either:
1. Don't work hard enough going forward to create the over the top.
2. Our forwards and mids hedge their bets because they're waiting for the turnover.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.


Joined: 17 Mar 2003


PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertrand Russell once said that "it must have required many ages to discover that a brace of pheasants and a couple of days were both instances of the number two. "
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
jackcass Cancer



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Location: Bendigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
I just don't understand the <snip> saying Varcoe must go. He ran in realised contact was inevevitable and did every thing he could to stop an injury. Not off the gtround, back turned. If they start rubbing blokes out for that they need to seriously change thae rules. front on contact and no frees. %$^$%^&%% me. If Trav hac of jumped and tried that little toerag Dallhouse would not be playing for 10 weeks. Neither would he. It is a contact game and if you don't like it follow something else. <snip - please refrain from such sweeping generalisations in the future thanks - the mods>


Didn't think there was much in it, be very surprised if he's outed for it.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Mossi Leo



Joined: 20 May 2002
Location: Vittorio Veneto TV Italy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Collingwood had the third lowest score of the weekend. Kind of indicative of our forward power.


How about the dogs have the best defence in the comp! Footy writers commentators etc are just raving about how well their defence stood up. We beat them in all other stats so they had to do something right to win. They did kick straight, but their defence from the moment we won the stoppage was exceptional.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group