Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lose to Bulldogs - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Worsfold has had half his team for 6 months and did THAT to Hawthorn. I'm starting to think it's mostly coaching.

Hawthorn were lucky to make the eight last year, winning 6 very close games. They are not the Hawthorn of 2012 through 2015.

They have lost Lewis and Mitchell and Hodge did not play. They also have Ty Vickery playing, who couldn't get a game at Richmond.

Don't get too carried away with Essendon's win, as I think you will find it was against a side that won't make the finals in 2017.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:44 am

Damien wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Damien wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:
Can't wait for the Buckley sycophants to come out and support him. The way the bulldogs ripped us up scoring effortless goals shows the disarray of our defence. Buckley should have tried to change things to stem the flow after they kicked in front following us hitting the front in the third. A class midfield, D class forward line waisting opportunities. Buckley, just go. You won't get them into the finals. Spare us the bullshit media conferences. Bring Paul Roos to the club before we are forced to rebuild again. Richmond will tear us a new one next week.

Yeah cos they played such a quality opponent last night. Shut down Dusty and there was nobody else.

So we get beaten by the reigning premier in RD 1 so let's sack the coach. Real intelligent.

What you fail to see however is that the mistakes made tonight, and there were plenty, were the same mistakes made last year.

Bad kicking, brain fades and a sieve like defense is what we had to put up with last year.

Nothing has changed.

With that midfield, and with the amount of ball they had, we should just about have won that game, if not for the stupid mistakes.

And now for my rant.

If anyone can argue positively for keeping Blair in the team, speak up now. Just not good enough. Cox and Grundy cannot be on the ground at the same time. Mayne will not be the answer. The zone defense clearly does not work for whatever reason.

This will hopefully be rectified next week with Elliot now fit and maybe Broomhead.

Nothing has changed? What am i failing to see here exactly champ? What are your suggestions to fix bad kicking, brain fades and a sieve like defence?

Simple. In 2010, It was decided to push out the guys who were not only aging, but whose skills were compromised under pressure. Guys like, O'Bree, Fraser & Lockyer made way for youngsters. You know the result.

It's time to do the same again. Guys like Blair and Goldsack have had their day. They are both fumblers and make terrible decisions when a cool head is required. They can't play Cox and White in the forward line as they are one, not good enough to tear a match apart, and two, are blocking space for Moore. Not saying that Moore will be an automatic superstar if this happens, but let's give him space and see what he can do.

There are enough young guys in the VFL. Even if they're first year players. get 'em in and let's see what happens. It couldn't be any worse.

Also, it is unbelievably surprising that Buckley, who I still regard as the best kick I've ever seen and who designed the kicking exercise at the draft camp, cannot improve the kicking skills of the players that are the same culprits over and over.

I have a lot of time for Maynard as he's a hard straight ahead player whose kicking efficiency is usually very high. But he has the annoying trait of coughing up a goal a game for simple brain fades. How that can be coached out is debatable. It may come down to simple game experience.

To fix the defense, why not try 2 players in the defensive half at all times. The others can
push up if required. Works alright for Hawthorn and especially for Geelong in the premiership years. That may at least prevent those awful over the top goals we've become accustomed to.

Now I'm not professing that these are the be all answers, they are suggestions only

Something has to change otherwise it is last year all over again.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:47 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:
32. Hoskin-Elliott: 22 possessions, excellent skills and pace and seems to avoid "crab-like, lateral" intent by running direct to our goals. A delight to watch and hope injuries don't curtail this talent.

That was his Problem as GWS. Never Truly got Rid of the Injury Bug but so far seems to Kick the Injury Bug Very Happy

He is Great to Watch Play

Apparently it was his first pre season as he was injured, one way or another in all the others.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:05 am

Donny wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
He also got caught red handed with the ball... so the 100% efficiency idk

DISPOSAL efficiency.

Yes I understood that, but when the cold light of day is put out there.... it sorta makes a mockery of that stat. Seriously.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:56 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Fantastic performance by the new Collingwood forward line tonight! So threatening and dangerous! Could have done with a key forward who could take a mark but instead we get Darcy dropping uncontested marks...

1st qtr it seemed like our gameplan was kick it to Blair in a contest. Cox was barely sighted and White was his typical useless self

Maybe if Fasolo can kick 10 every week we might sneak a couple of wins, then again with our backline that might not be enough

Why does every team get those easy goals! Because we are slow and coached poorly, they are quicker and have footy smarts. Also notice Dogs stopped grubber goals by dropping back, no one at Collingwood smart enough to do that!

Anyway good luck to Clokey, if he can keep getting a game he will play finals unlike Collingwood who are a long way off, wonder what odds for the spoon!

Plainly you did not watch the same game I did, we lose to the premiers by two goals, with four of our best players out, and you post this ultra negative garbage. You are not just glass half empty, yours has nothing in it but a centimetre of cats piss. No doubt if we beat the Tigers you wont post, you obviously get far more jollies from defeats, dunno why you follow the team at all. Confused Rolling Eyes

No i want this team to do well but that will clearly never happen with Buckley as coach

I would love to know how many of these honorable losses have we had in recent years? How many times we just lose to the top sides? And how far has that gotten us? Its amazing we are so close to the reigning premiers but then will get done by any other team in the middle of the pack.

Did you ever think maybe these teams take it easy, do just enough to win then turn it on against shit sides to boist % whilst preparing for the real tough games against top sides. For all this rubbish about being close to the Dogs yet they are premiers and we havent played finals in years. Oh and they have won 5 in a row against us for the first time since the 1940's! Yeah we must realky be close...

At no stage last night did Collingwood look like winning, Bulldogs did what top teams do in rd1. I would love to post something positive, maybe next year under a new coach and a new forward and backline!

I wont hold my breath, even if we beat the tigers, you will somehow can the win, as it takes the heat off the coach a bit, which you loathe. I actually heard an interview with Johanssen yesterday, and he said, when we hit the front, the dogs were very concerned with our intensity, our stats, our desire, and they had to go hell to leather to win, so please, don't insult my intelligence with garbage like the dogs didn't really try, they had to pull out all stops to win that, if either cox or moore held two marks each, we would have scored an upset. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:02 am

mooretreloar wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Worsfold has had half his team for 6 months and did THAT to Hawthorn. I'm starting to think it's mostly coaching.

Hawthorn were lucky to make the eight last year, winning 6 very close games. They are not the Hawthorn of 2012 through 2015.

They have lost Lewis and Mitchell and Hodge did not play. They also have Ty Vickery playing, who couldn't get a game at Richmond.

Don't get too carried away with Essendon's win, as I think you will find it was against a side that won't make the finals in 2017.

Agreed, the Hawks are a shadow of the former club, and this was a huge pumped up game for essendopers, march to the ground, old sheedy poncing around like the ego driven ponce he is, huge build up, return of a few stars etc. It was a one off pumped up game, hawks were not a shadow of the team they once were, oh yes, and vickery, biggest spud to ever grace a footy field.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:10 am

Born to Pie wrote:
We lost by 14 points to the reigning premiers, missing from our best 22 were DeGoey, Wells, Elliott, Langdon and Aish.

Four of those are possible goal kickers.

Without one or two key forwards in the game, we need our mids to kick goals, and create opportunity for our small forwards.

Darcy could be anything, but it won't be in 2017, he will only play cameos.

Premierships are won by teams that create new styles, perhaps having a midfield that runs 10-15 deep is the new style!

We are on the improve, we dominate some areas of the game, but can't capitalize on the score board. It's not lack of skill, it's confidence!

Win a few and it will turn around, it starts again on Thursday. Win against the Tigers and confidence will come.

I am sick of the negativity, we lost round 1 by 14 points, we could have won but we didn't. We all want success, and currently the club we support has this president, this coach and this list.

Key board warriors please tell me, have you ever played VFL/AFL football? Can you coach this team better than the coaching panel? Can you administer the club any better than those that currently have the responsibility?

Have an opinion, but honestly, I don't want a lot of poster's on this site in the trenches next to me when we get down to it because, the team didn't give up last night, but a lot on Nick's apparently already have.

GO PIES

well said, I stand and applaud. Spot on, the keyboard warriors have never played or coached a game in their lives, and most of em get more jollies out of defeats than wins, and that's a fact. Makes me wonder why they bother to follow the team at all, one game, one close loss, and they are babbling incoherent negativity, if they lost five bucks and found twenty, theyd still $$%^%%$ whinge and piss and moan. Exclamation

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:59 am

stui magpie wrote:
I thought we showed some really positive signs tonight.

Intensity and effort tick
Prepared to take the game on tick.
Much better defensively tick
Won the clearances and inside 50's tick

The Dogs are a good team. They love what I call the scrimmages. When the ball is live, not a stoppage (we killed them at stoppages) but when a contest spills the ball and players have to compete for it. They flick,punch, knock and literally throw it around until someone gets it and has space.

Their system is based on precision passing when they have time, and constant movement when they don't. They'll bang it in hope to a contest because if it creates a scrimmage, they back themselves to win it.

having said that, we weren't far away from winning that. Little things that didn't go our way, skill errors, umpiring decisions, a flukey kick that hits a target by accident.

There's a lot to work with. That 2nd quarter got the Adrenalin going like it hasn't done for ages.

I'm bullish still about our season. Round 1 against the reigning premiers is a hard ask, and we acquitted ourselves well IMHO

Cheers, Stui.

That's what I sensed with the bits of the game I've seen so far.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 am

Hawks are garbage. They replaced two goal kicking champions of the club with two ball slaughtering, pointing kicking accumulators. Hodge will improve them and they will challenge for the eight with their reputation and calm winning some games they should lose. But at some point their old players are going to look quite old; burgoyne, gibson. They are a Cyril injury away from some real pain.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:04 am

Nothing frustrates more than losing games that, for many reasons, we shouldn't have. I wasn't expecting to win and thought we'd do well to get within 3 or 4 goals so I suppose that's something. A few notable points..

We severely lack dangerous crumbers, Blair is NOT the answer and I dare say his ineptitude cost us at least 2 or 3 goals. Pendlebury's crumbing goal, is the perfect example of what need from small forwards. Textbook positioning, reading of the play and a cool head. Bring on Broomhead and Elliott, please!

Wasn't a big fan of Mayne or of his acquisition but his last 2 games have been encouraging. Keep playing him, if we get 1 or 2 goals a game I'll be happy.

WHE is a pleasure to watch. Beautiful mover and is pure silk, I'm very excited by what he can add to this team.

Conversion rate atrocious but not helped by difficult shots. Probably due to dogs defensive setup and our inability to get clean ball inside 50. Doggies kicking through their arses in that 1st half also hurt, always at a time when we seemed to have all the play. That won't happen every game and it's a clear distinction between teams that play with confidence and those that don't.

As opposed to the end, where we lack decent crumbers, we still struggle to contain the Johannisens and Hunters of the game. Forget about the opposition KPF's, today's game makes it harder for them to dominate, it's the small to medium types that always tear us apart. Not sure what the answer is there. Some would say Sinclair but I think he's cooked and not the best one on one player. A bit of a worry.

We've got some things to work on but it's not all doom and gloom, I can definitely see some improvement in the team. Fwiw, if the scumps pay Moore's mark in the dying minutes and he converts, we're 7 pts down with 2 minutes left and all the momentum. Just saying..

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:22 pm

jatsad wrote:
Damien wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Damien wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:
Can't wait for the Buckley sycophants to come out and support him. The way the bulldogs ripped us up scoring effortless goals shows the disarray of our defence. Buckley should have tried to change things to stem the flow after they kicked in front following us hitting the front in the third. A class midfield, D class forward line waisting opportunities. Buckley, just go. You won't get them into the finals. Spare us the bullshit media conferences. Bring Paul Roos to the club before we are forced to rebuild again. Richmond will tear us a new one next week.

Yeah cos they played such a quality opponent last night. Shut down Dusty and there was nobody else.

So we get beaten by the reigning premier in RD 1 so let's sack the coach. Real intelligent.

What you fail to see however is that the mistakes made tonight, and there were plenty, were the same mistakes made last year.

Bad kicking, brain fades and a sieve like defense is what we had to put up with last year.

Nothing has changed.

With that midfield, and with the amount of ball they had, we should just about have won that game, if not for the stupid mistakes.

And now for my rant.

If anyone can argue positively for keeping Blair in the team, speak up now. Just not good enough. Cox and Grundy cannot be on the ground at the same time. Mayne will not be the answer. The zone defense clearly does not work for whatever reason.

This will hopefully be rectified next week with Elliot now fit and maybe Broomhead.

Nothing has changed? What am i failing to see here exactly champ? What are your suggestions to fix bad kicking, brain fades and a sieve like defence?

Simple. In 2010, It was decided to push out the guys who were not only aging, but whose skills were compromised under pressure. Guys like, O'Bree, Fraser & Lockyer made way for youngsters. You know the result.

It's time to do the same again. Guys like Blair and Goldsack have had their day. They are both fumblers and make terrible decisions when a cool head is required. They can't play Cox and White in the forward line as they are one, not good enough to tear a match apart, and two, are blocking space for Moore. Not saying that Moore will be an automatic superstar if this happens, but let's give him space and see what he can do.

There are enough young guys in the VFL. Even if they're first year players. get 'em in and let's see what happens. It couldn't be any worse.

Also, it is unbelievably surprising that Buckley, who I still regard as the best kick I've ever seen and who designed the kicking exercise at the draft camp, cannot improve the kicking skills of the players that are the same culprits over and over.

I have a lot of time for Maynard as he's a hard straight ahead player whose kicking efficiency is usually very high. But he has the annoying trait of coughing up a goal a game for simple brain fades. How that can be coached out is debatable. It may come down to simple game experience.

To fix the defense, why not try 2 players in the defensive half at all times. The others can
push up if required. Works alright for Hawthorn and especially for Geelong in the premiership years. That may at least prevent those awful over the top goals we've become accustomed to.

Now I'm not professing that these are the be all answers, they are suggestions only

Great intelligent rational post! If only the match committee would read this.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm more optimistic than I have been for quite some time. Remember the bookies had the bulldogs at very short odds, suggesting we were in for a smashing. That did not happen. We were extremely competitive against the best team in the comp. We can't be unhappy with that.

I actually think our team just needs a bit of tweaking, to improve us by 5-10% and that will have us beating most sides without doubt. Currently the absence of De Goey, Wells and Greenwood has reduced our midfield depth and forced us to play Sidey in the middle for lengthy spells. He has shown that when he's playing around our goals, the goals will come. I reckon that our forward line will function significantly better when we have both Sidey and Elliott playing as traditional forward pockets. Obviously it's going to be crucial that we get the structure right playing Moore, Cox, White and Grundy. With Grundy our first ruck, it's clear that Cox and White need to spend time on the bench so at any one time we only have 2 key forwards. That's why I think we'll persevere with Cox, because, if nothing else, he is emerging as a very good tap ruckman.

As others have noted, we also have to improve our shape and structure, so as to avoid letting teams run the ball the length of the ground scoring easy goals without any pressure. To be honest, I'm not sure how we stop that, but I've got confidence that Bucks, Sanderson and Burns will identify our mistakes and teach our team how to tighten up defensively. So all in all, though I'm still disappointed we missed a fabulous chance to begin the season with a win, I'm optimistic we are heading in the right direction and already look better than last year. Having said that, the Tigers game is a must win. Go Pies!

PS. For those clamoring for us to play Kirby on the back of his 3 goal hall in a VFL practice game, the word is the club is working to significantly improve his fitness, so he can do all the defensive running necessary to prevent those easy opposition goals we are all so concerned about. So let the kid get on with playing good footy in the VFL, and when he's physically ready, as with young Daics, he'll get a game and be equipped to have an immediate impact at senior level.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:05 pm

1 goal 5 to 5 goals 1 that is why we lost
The sack Buckley mob refuse to see it
Its is not the game plan it is not the coach it was poor kicking at goal

Having said that Cox and Blair were awful so was Crisp
Dunn used to be a forward how about he replaces Cox at least he can do something when the ball is on the ground and has defensive skills

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:31 pm

inxs88 wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Damien wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Damien wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:

Nothing has changed.

And now for my rant.

Great intelligent rational post! If only the match committee would read this.

Quote:

Good post jatsad. Agree with your points, especially the kicking. My only explanation to this is that similar to Tiger Woods who never understood his own swing enough to teach it, Bucks does not understand why he was a great kick. Instead he delegates this teaching task to some kid teaching biomechanics. It frustrates the hell out of me to see the obvious technique flaws in a few of our players. Maynard, Mayne, Adams, Schade,Greenwood, Oxley, White, Josh Thomas, techniques are flawed. They don't use their hand to guide the ball onto their boot and time their kicks. Also, a flat, powerful kick that traverses the air quickly and gets to the free players (it's what is needed in a transition game), can only be done by swinging around to the side and using your hip in the action. Similar to Buddy, Bucks, Stuart Dew, Suckling. All the great kicks do this.
Thank God we got rid of 2-3 butcherers in the off-season.
WHE, Howe, Ramsay, Sinkers, Wells, Fas, Treloar, Pendles, Dunn, Varcs, Sidey, Broom, Daicos all have nice actions. Yes, I did mean Sinkers. A few of the other youngsters like Brown and Mclarty look good too but need to see more.
I get that pressure and lactic acid build up affects kicking, however if your technique is bad in the first place, then don't expect magical changes. Practising with bad techniques is just in-graining the problem into your system.

Overall, I'm actually excited about our list. We have a talented list that can cause some damage. We need to become unpredictable though. Take the game on, throw caution to the wind at times. We played scared on Friday night, and lacking in confidence. I got the feeling the Doggies bullied us when they had to. Let's turn the tables and change that mind-set and start bullying teams and playing on our terms. After all, we are the biggest club, with the best facilities, and biggest support.
Traditionally we have been slow starters in recent seasons. I see good things ahead.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:08 pm

neil wrote:
1 goal 5 to 5 goals 1 that is why we lost
The sack Buckley mob refuse to see it
Its is not the game plan it is not the coach it was poor kicking at goal

Having said that Cox and Blair were awful so was Crisp
Dunn used to be a forward how about he replaces Cox at least he can do something when the ball is on the ground and has defensive skills

THIS ! BAD KICKING FOR GOAL IS BAD FOOTBALL, simple, it was 100 years ago, and it still applies, we went inside fifty far more than doggies, but coughed it up or missed soda snags, vital goals, we have gotta be more accurate, miss far too many at vital times. Mad Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22   

Jump to: