Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Living in Straya

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 pm
Post subject: Living in StrayaReply with quote

Over the weekend i did something without thinking that, perversely, made me think.

I set up a boxing stand in the shed (garage mahal), grabbed the training gloves that had been unused for months and automatically checked them for spiders before I put my hands in them.

Didn't think about it, it was an automatic reflex.

It made me think of what a colleague had told me, how she recently hosted at her house a friend she hadn't seen for years and her friend's American husband.
Apart from apparently being a world class douche, he couldn't cope with our blase attitude toward spiders, even going so far as to sleep fully clothed in case spiders attacked during the night.

made me think about what living in Straya means and how visitors must find us different.

We visit the tropics but we don't go swimming cos we know there's stuff in there that will kill us

We take for granted that we can rock up to an Emergency department at a public hospital and get treated for free (although we complain about the wait)

We'll use terms like Kunt, prick, bastard etc to describe both friend and foe, the difference is purely in tone

We'll sit in the front seat in taxis

We love our sport but will tear down anyone who either doesn't try hard enough or gets a big head

We love an underdog

What defines living in Straya for you? Those bits of our culture that people from other countries just don't get?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegemite is the first thing that comes to mind. Americans will never understand.

Here's a question – do we generally tend to define ourselves by the things that people from other countries (particularly Americans) don't do? Is there any way to have a national identity without comparing ourselves to others?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Have people noticed how either tourists or first generation Australians seem over represented when it comes to ocean or river drownings?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm

I've never thought about have people noticed how either tourists or first generation Australians seem over represented when it comes to ocean or river drownings .
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm
Post subject: Re: Living in StrayaReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
What defines living in Straya for you? Those bits of our culture that people from other countries just don't get?

The number of public holidays and amount of annual leave we get!!! Cool Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:51 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Have people noticed how either tourists or first generation Australians seem over represented when it comes to ocean or river drownings?

I don't think it's much of a mystery, is it? Many Australians grow up going to the beach on a regular basis and are good swimmers, and those who aren't are aware of the dangers of ocean beaches. Many tourists, on the other hand, didn't grow up in a beach-going culture and so never learnt to swim, or only ever went to swim in the sea or bay. My partner is from Ukraine; her family beach holidays involved going to Odessa on the Black Sea. It's not exactly Bondi. (Ironically she's a much better swimmer than I am.)

All I know is that I'm just as screwed if I go to the beach because I quite literally can't swim to save my life.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 pm

David wrote:
Vegemite is the first thing that comes to mind. Americans will never understand.

That's because it's a cross between axle greas and dog shit

Here's a question – do we generally tend to define ourselves by the things that people from other countries (particularly Americans) don't do? Is there any way to have a national identity without comparing ourselves to others?

The spider thing is not a nation thing, Id sleep in my clothes if there's a chance a hunstmans coming, and yet I got 5 inches away from a wild tarantula at the Grand Canyon for a great photo!

At Yosemite people sleep in tents, just thin canvas tents, and their deodorant food etc is in a big steel box out the front to protect it from grizzly bears. Think about that for a minute!

Didn't see too many folks swimming in the Everglades when we were there!

The tall poppy thing shits me to tears, and yeah, it appears to be uniquely Australian, as for underdogs, I think that's world wide, unless your own team is playing.

The swear word thing, black people can call each other the n word, but nobody else can, calling people names as a term of endearment, nope don't like it, could be the Pom in me though! And yet I swear like a trouper.

I often wonder about weird things like fences. You can see whole towns in the States with hardly any fencing whatsoever it's strange. Here he higher the better! Then I see pictures of countries with no yards at all.

Last edited by think positive on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:00 pm

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

I don't think it's much of a mystery, is it? Many Australians grow up going to the beach on a regular basis and are good swimmers, and those who aren't are aware of the dangers of ocean beaches. Many tourists, on the other hand, didn't grow up in a beach-going culture and so never learnt to swim, or only ever went to swim in the sea or bay. My partner is from Ukraine; her family beach holidays involved going to Odessa on the Black Sea. It's not exactly Bondi. (Ironically she's a much better swimmer than I am.)

All I know is that I'm just as screwed if I go to the beach because I quite literally can't swim to save my life.

Really? That is strange for a born and bred Aussie. Why can't you?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Parents never made swimming lessons a priority, I guess, and I just wouldn't have time to do them now.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 pm

David wrote:
Parents never made swimming lessons a priority, I guess, and I just wouldn't have time to do them now.

thats sad, maybe you could learn while ingmar does, (not suggesting you join the class, maybe practicing)

im always surprised by how many people cant swim actually, especially when you go places like white water rafting! why on earth would you get in the boat!!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:56 am

Swimming at the beach. Cool

Purely a comparison with the yanks (sorry David Wink)

When we on Santa Monica beach, was a glorious day, about 32 degrees. The sand was packed but very few people were swimming. I couldn't work out what was going on so I asked the closest life guard.
"They can't swim, not like you Aussies, who all know how to swim. These suckers can't swim".

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18 am
Post subject: Re: Living in StrayaReply with quote

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The number of public holidays and amount of annual leave we get!!! Cool Razz

Add to that long service leave. Americans & Canadians have never heard of it and think it's the strangest thing ever - fancy getting heaps of time off for just staying at the same job for 10 years?! (9 months to go for me!)

My late friend that I travelled all over with was always travelling using his LSL, always seemed to be Americans asking 'how do you folks get so long off work?' they were amazed at the LSL concept. And jealous Wink

I do think our sayings are unique. Had a customer once who was from the UK & thought 'going to the bush' was 1 particular bush somewhere that everyone visited Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:27 pm

David wrote:

Interesting question. You can try to define yourself by the things you do, but if everyone else does them just as well, how can that be something you hang your hat on as a national identity?

Hence you need a point of difference. To get that, involves comparisons with other countries.

mateship is a uniquely Australian concept but, as a number of things in our past, is no longer politically popular among the vocal fringes.

Jo's comment about sleeping in canvas with your food locked up in steel to protect it from bears is a great example of different cultural mindsets. I'm happy to sleep outside in the Australian bush comfortable that snakes and spiders won't bother me, yanks would freak at the concept. yet if I'm going to sleep in a tent in bear country in the USA i'm having a loaded shotgun with me.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Our systematic subjugation and extermination of the indigenous peoples of our country is one unique bond. Other countries have tried - but few with our tremendous success.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:46 pm

^

Dunno, we're amateur hour compared to several.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: