Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Interesting view on Wells

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:03 am
Post subject: Interesting view on WellsReply with quote

Quote:
Nick Dal Santo surprised over Collingwood offer to Daniel Wells, concerned for frustrating start

Ben Waterworth, FOX SPORTS
January 16, 2017 3:12pm

FORMER North Melbourne and St Kilda on-baller Nick Dal Santo has cast doubt over Collingwood’s acquisition of former teammate Daniel Wells and expressed concern over the veteran’s injury-riddled start to his Magpies stint.

Wells, who moved from the Kangaroos to the Magpies in October, has endured a frustrating start to his Collingwood career, with a calf injury — suffered in December — restricting him to limited drills and time on the training track to date.

The 31-year-old last Wednesday warmed up with the main training group at Olympic Park then moved to a rehab group where he completed run-throughs at a variety of paces, before disappearing into the rooms after around 35 minutes on the track.

Despite managing 243 games across 14 seasons, Wells has been consistently hampered by various injuries, which has seen him play a full allotment of games in a season just once since 2007.

Yet the Pies — desperate for some experienced players with clean disposal skills — were happy to sign Wells on a three-year deal, which is understood to be worth around $550,000 per season. He originally knocked back a two-year offer from the Roos that was worth just over $1 million.

Asked if Collingwood’s decision to poach Wells was an appropriate move, Dal Santo said: “It’s yet to be seen.”

Speaking from the Mercury Cider’s Tough Tap on Tour, Dal Santo said Wells’ club switch was one he “probably didn’t expect”, but added that he couldn’t blame his former teammate for taking up the offer.

“His move across was an interesting one … To be able to go there for three years surprised me a little bit,” Dal Santo told foxsports.com.au.

Daniel Wells has spent limited time on the training track at Collingwood to date. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

“From a personal point of view, when you see the length of the contract and the money involved, you can understand why he would go. He’s about to turn 32, he’s got a wife and a young daughter as well, so to have a another three years of football on good coin, it makes perfect sense from a business point of view.”

Dal Santo, who moved from St Kilda to North after the 2013 season, said an early injury setback is the last thing a player at a new club wants — especially a player with Wells’ setback history.

“It’s tough going, but it’s not an ideal start. When you move to a new club, whether you’re injured or not, you just want to be part of the group, you want to work hard, you want to earn respect — and the best way to actually do that is on the training track,” Dal Santo said.

“It’s a difficult time for him if he’s not going to be out there working with them in the summer.”

Both Daniel Wells and Nick Dal Santo suffered early-season injuries in 2015. Picture: Michael Klein

Dal Santo spent several weeks alongside Wells at the start of 2015 season, with the retired Roo — who was recovering from a hamstring injury at the time — witnessing Wells’ injury frustrations first-hand as he dealt with an Achilles issue.

“I was at North Melbourne for three years and I reckon I only played with him for a season and a bit, the rest of the time he was out injured,” Dal Santo said.

“I went through a long stint of rehab with him when he had a sore Achilles and I had done my hamstring, so I’ve seen that side of it as well.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/nick-dal-santo-surprised-over-collingwood-offer-to-daniel-wells-concerned-for-frustrating-start/news-story/6ba606671eb5b32de2e919bebf48ea2d

<Mod edit: Again, can we get our formatting right, please? Thank you. - the bbmods>

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I would trust Dal to ever have a happy word to say about the Pies.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm

He said nothing we didn't already know. Of course recruiting him was a bit of a gamble, but since we got him as a free agent, it cost us nothing in terms of draft picks. I reckon it was a master stroke by our club, but only time will tell.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Nic Dal Sooko
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Nicky Dal, as a former teammate of Wells is entitled to his opinion.
Wells is a risk but he has lots of skill and speed.
Let's hope for some luck and his on-going fitness.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Of course, he wouldn't be trying to justify the fact that someone wanted Wells for 2017 - and offered serious cash - and no-one at all wanted Del Santo. Of course not.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:15 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
He said nothing we didn't already know. Of course recruiting him was a bit of a gamble, but since we got him as a free agent, it cost us nothing in terms of draft picks. I reckon it was a master stroke by our club, but only time will tell.

Yep, this.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:28 pm

When you think about it our club has the best sporting facilities of any club in Australia.
Secondly, we must have the world's leading authorities on sporting injuries with all the injuries players have suffered in recent times. I'm sure there are people at the club who could write books on the subject.
I couldn't think of a better club for Wells to join. Somehow or other the club will squeeze the three more years of Well's career to keep him out on the park.
Same for Mayne for the four or more years of his contract with us.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Ok, which part of it was interesting?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
When you think about it our club has the best sporting facilities of any club in Australia.
Secondly, we must have the world's leading authorities on sporting injuries with all the injuries players have suffered in recent times. I'm sure there are people at the club who could write books on the subject.
I couldn't think of a better club for Wells to join. Somehow or other the club will squeeze the three more years of Well's career to keep him out on the park.

North have one of the best injury management records in the league.... just saying.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Dal Santo is just Pissed we did not Sign Him
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:47 pm

jackcass wrote:

North have one of the best injury management records in the league.... just saying.

But in the last 16 years have only been there abouts when results count.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Would NDS have the same view if we had offered him this deal?

One article on the AFL website says he is struggling to deal with his shock retirement and thought he could go on and yet in this one he says he thinks the Wells signing is a bit iffy.

C'mon Nick.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Would NDS have the same view if we had offered him this deal?

One article on the AFL website says he is struggling to deal with his shock retirement and thought he could go on and yet in this one he says he thinks the Wells signing is a bit iffy.

C'mon Nick.

Might Blame Wells for not getting a Contract at Collingwood.

As NDS might been plan B IF Wells stayed at North

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Mossi wrote:
jackcass wrote:

But in the last 16 years have only been there abouts when results count.

Yep, perennial also-rans. But was responding to the suggestion he's more likely to stay on the park at the Pies. North has a better record than us over recent years so if he wanted to stay on the park he was more likely to do that at the Roos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: