Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fair Work cut penalty rates on Sundays

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:24 pm
Post subject: Fair Work cut penalty rates on SundaysReply with quote

for employees covered by modern awards.

Important points here.

Firstly, as I outlined in the what made me laugh thread, cutting Sunday penalties from 175% to 150% is not a 25% reduction.

It also doesn't mean a 25% cut in pay for the day.

If someone works 8 hours on a Sunday they get paid 8 hours at their hourly rate (100%) then get a loading on that times their hourly rate.

So instead of getting paid 175% x hourly rate for the day they get 150% which results in an actual loss of pay of around 14%, not 25%

The other thing, it only impacts people employed on a couple of modern awards who aren't covered by an Enterprise Agreement, it doesn't apply to prople who work for example at Coles or Woolies, something little Bill Shorten should have known before he rolled out a workplace delegate to tell lies at a press conference.

Quote:
He was supposed to be the human face of the thousands of weekend workers affected by the cut in Sunday penalty rates.

"My name is Trent Hunter. I am a retail worker," the young man standing beside Bill Shorten told media at the Opposition Leader's Sydney press conference on Thursday afternoon.
Coles worker Trent Hunter gave heartfelt remarks at Labor's press conference about how changes to penalty rates would hurt his bottom line. The only problem: he won't be impacted. (Vision courtesy ABC News 24)
"I rely on Sunday penalty rates. I am rostered on every single Sunday. I will now lose $109 a week."

Except he won't lose a cent, according to his employer.

Mr Hunter, who is a "shoppies union" delegate and an ALP campaign volunteer, works for Coles in western Sydney.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/labors-penalty-rates-victim-is-a-coles-worker-who-wont-be-affected-by-changes-20170223-gujvvr.html

Whoops, should have checked that one a tad more closely Bill. Laughing

Also, if he's going to lose $109 per week from a 14% cut in pay to one Sunday shift, he's either on a serious hourly rate earning him around $800 for a single Sunday shift so no sympathy from me, or he's totally full of shit.

I'm backing the latter.

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's hourly rate plus 200 per cent or 150 or 175, it's double time or time and a half or time and three quarters. I worked in retail for years and with the ridiculous rents I worked out with my employers a flat rate that was acceptable. The area where I worked is a tourist area and half the shops didn't bother opening on Sundays. Also some businesses operated under another award and didn't pay penalty rates at all.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Did you get paid for working on in retail for years and with the ridiculous rents he or she worked out with his or her employers a flat rate that was acceptable?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 pm

partypie wrote:
I don't think it's hourly rate plus 200 per cent or 150 or 175, it's double time or time and a half or time and three quarters. I worked in retail for years and with the ridiculous rents I worked out with my employers a flat rate that was acceptable. The area where I worked is a tourist area and half the shops didn't bother opening on Sundays. Also some businesses operated under another award and didn't pay penalty rates at all.

I already edited that as it came out unclear.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:59 pm

It's closer to 14% than 10.

You forgot this little bit from the article above.

Quote:
Shadow employment minister Brendan O'Connor later conceded on ABC radio: "Trent did get a little carried away, he was shocked by the decision."

But Mr O'Connor and the SDA indicated the 2011 Coles enterprise agreement was being reviewed by Fair Work and, if terminated, Mr Hunter would stand to lose his penalty rates under any new agreement based on the award.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-23/weekend-penalty-rates-fair-work-commission-decision/8295758?section=business

So if Malcolm works in retail and earns $20 per hour then on a Sunday he used to earn double time or $40.

Now he'll earn time and a half or $30 an hour.

That's a 25% pay cut.

Over the course of an 8 hour shift that equates to $80 does it not and over $4,000 a year.

While this rate reduction has been billed by the Liberals as a win for small business and will lead to more jobs I call bullshit.

This will be a win for the pockets of small business owners, allow them to negativity gear an additional property and open the gate to large corporations like Woolworths and Coles Myer in pushing for lower wages which will please there shareholders I'm sure.

This will of course be a loss for the working poor and women in particular who make up a higher proportion of hospitality and retail sector employees.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Good points, I hadn't looked at the retail workers, more the hospitality workers, so I'll concede on retail.

On the 10% vs 14%, it says 14% in my post.

I didn't miss that part about the Coles EBA. Fair Work can't reduce an EBA entitlements to the award. If the EBA is renegotiated then it's up to the union to negotiate and the effected employees, not just members, to vote for it.

The point remains that this dick is a grandstanding liar, rolled out by Shorten.

As far as creating jobs, I dare say there will be some places that didn't find it economical to open Sundays who will now, so that creates opportunities for all and if some of the casuals who only worked Sundays for the extra penalties spit the dummy, that creates opportunities for the other part timers and other people to pick up shifts.

I'm not an ideological fan of lowering wages for low paid workers, but the penalties were put in place as compensation for people working unsociable hours, not so that some could cherry pick to maximise income over minimum hours worked.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 pm

When all professions are expected to work 7 day shifts and at standard rates (or even time 1/2 ) ok , til then it's just plan wrong

Last edited by think positive on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Questions:

Who leaned on Fair Work Australia so hard that this reduction in the penalty rate has come to pass?

How many workers are affected by this reduction? Does it mumber in the thousands?

If it does indeed affect thousands of workers, is this not a blight on the state of the economy, which is in direct contrast to what we are being told?

MM

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Mountains Magpie wrote:
Questions:

Who leaned on Fair Work Australia so hard that this reduction in the penalty rate has come to pass?

How many workers are affected by this reduction? Does it mumber in the thousands?

If it does indeed affect thousands of workers, is this not a blight on the state of the economy, which is in direct contrast to what we are being told?

MM

My friends that work at target are affected, lots of people work at target, so yes, and then there are the uni students that count on good pay on a Sunday because it's hard to work during the week.

Apparently Coles have a seperate agreement. I'm guessing a lot of coffee shop type establishments will be affected,

We charge extra (not double though) for our maintenance business,for Saturday night and Sundays (warehouses and Cold stores don't have much down time to accommodate repairs) if they stopped paying penalty rates we would say 'no worries, better stop production during the week'

They pay a premium to stop interruptions to their busy schedules. Who really wants to work Sundays?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 pm

You should get paid the same on every day that ends in Y.

What's the difference?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 pm

think positive wrote:
When all professions are expected to work 7 day shifts and at standard rates (or even time 1/2 ) ok , til then it's just plan wrong

keep in mind, this is the award rate. it's the base. nearly all professionals are paid under negotiated enterprise agreements. Nurses can sook about their base rates but their penalty rates for anything out of monday to friday daytime are serious. Cops would love them.

My opinion is there is no justifiable reason for Sunday to be a higher rate than Saturday. It's an historic, religious based anachronism. I don't have a problem with paying a penalty for weekend work although I do like the idea of paying a higher base rate across the board and scrapping the penalties, as long as it was a rotating roster arrangement.

If you're a uni student or someone who can't work weekdays and want to work when you can, which is nights and weekends, why should you get more money for those shifts than the people who work days?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Good points, I hadn't looked at the retail workers, more the hospitality workers, so I'll concede on retail.

On the 10% vs 14%, it says 14% in my post.

I'm sure you had it listed at 10% when I first read it.

You edited, just admit it. Razz

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:04 pm

see 4th post in the thread. Wink
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Its the students who get fkd over the most i reckon. Many work weekends to pay for school books/rent etc. Young people getting screwed as usual. Who can blame them for their anger.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:51 pm

^

Plenty of people being screwed over who no one cares about. Tradies pay cash in had day rates because all the regulations make it too hard to employ someone on the books, same as small retailers and fast food outlets.

Builders pay piece rates to unskilled workers to knock out crap quality homes that get sold at a premium.

Students could try living at home while they're studying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13   

Jump to: