Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injury and fitness (the race for Round 1)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, when was the LAST time Bucks had nearly a fully fit and healthy list too choose his team from, no long term injuries ? Seems like ages too me.

Yes we have had our fair share of injuries but as one of the major Melbourne papers reported towards the latter stages of last season the Western Bulldogs were only marginally better off than our situation at the time and yet they still qualified for finals and this in turn ended up giving them the extra time to get a couple of players back in time for the preliminary and grand final.

At present probably only Sinclair is seen as a long term on our injury list and in reality our current situation is probably not to dissimilar to most others.

Correct, without that week off, pre Finals, theres no way the doggies would have won the flag, it was a perfect storm for them of everything going right, including stevie Js suspension, and getting far more free kicks in the GF than the hapless swans. Jeeesus, I wish the PIes could get a dream run of frees like that in a GF, thatd be the day. ! Shocked

But you miss my main point.

They made the finals despite an injury list size almost identical to our own.

People say they were lucky during the finals yet overlook they had to win two interstate finals and beat Hawthorn just to make the grand final.

It was an awesome September performance and one I'm envious of.

They have a game plan and a coach that motivates. Simple. They haven't used injury as an excuse.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, when was the LAST time Bucks had nearly a fully fit and healthy list too choose his team from, no long term injuries ? Seems like ages too me.

The answer to this question is that at no stage in his five seasons of coaching has Buckley had his best 22 available for selection.

The comparison with the injuries experienced by the Bulldogs last year and them still having success has merit, but they started their rebuild after the end 2011 and thus they had developed good depth on their list, which enables a team to better cover injuries.

Whereas, Collingwood started their rebuild after the end of 2013 and after our poor injury run last season meant at times we were playing Cox, Smith, Crocker, Phillips and Wills, who had played zero senior games at the start of 2016, in the same team. You may be able to play 2 first year players and get away with it, but with 5 first year players in the one team it is difficult to get a consistent 4 quarter team performance.

We have much better depth in 2017, especially with the addition of experienced players in Mayne, Wells, Hoskin-Elliott and Dunn, and should be able to cover most injuries should we have to.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Am I right in thinking that when Langdon was first injured last season the initial thought was that he'd only miss a month?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 pm

mooretreloar wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

The answer to this question is that at no stage in his five seasons of coaching has Buckley had his best 22 available for selection.

The comparison with the injuries experienced by the Bulldogs last year and them still having success has merit, but they started their rebuild after the end 2011 and thus they had developed good depth on their list, which enables a team to better cover injuries.

Whereas, Collingwood started their rebuild after the end of 2013 and after our poor injury run last season meant at times we were playing Cox, Smith, Crocker, Phillips and Wills, who had played zero senior games at the start of 2016, in the same team. You may be able to play 2 first year players and get away with it, but with 5 first year players in the one team it is difficult to get a consistent 4 quarter team performance.

We have much better depth in 2017, especially with the addition of experienced players in Mayne, Wells, Hoskin-Elliott and Dunn, and should be able to cover most injuries should we have to.

We can only hope.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that when Langdon was first injured last season the initial thought was that he'd only miss a month?

It was initially only thought he would miss a fortnight, then it became another two to three weeks, then it became another two weeks, then one to two, then he injured his knee in rehab and pretty much wiped out what was left of the season for him...

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:37 am

MagpieBat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

It was initially only thought he would miss a fortnight, then it became another two to three weeks, then it became another two weeks, then one to two, then he injured his knee in rehab and pretty much wiped out what was left of the season for him...

And now he's hurt his back??

Any assumptions / thoughts on why we seem to be having a constant run of "will miss a couple of weeks" that turn into whole seasons? This seems to go right back to Ball, Beams, Ried, Elliot, now add Langdon.

Frustrating.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:46 am

Can't agree Swoop that bye on the eve of the finals is of incalculable value and the umpiring they recieved in the finals campaign was - to say the least - favourable.

Don't get me wrong, I lived in Seddon for over a decade and have a great liking for Footscray, love their gutsy attitude and their defiance of the AFL trying to obliterate them . . .

BUT . . .

Without the bye and with any sort of an even handed attitude by the umpires Footscray wouldn't have snagged the flag.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:41 am

E wrote:
jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
I guess you have to watch the games. Listen, Cox is just particularly bad at this. Its just a fact. I will say however, that i agree that this limitation is not as bad if he is the only one there with this limitation. If you surround him with the likes of Blair, Elliot, Faz, WHE and Mayne, obviously the weakness will be alleviated to some extent.

At this point i should note that my main opposition to Cox has been in response to the idea that we should consider playing with all 4 of Moore, White, Cox and Grundy. The thought of Cox, White and Moore in one forward line just wont work (it was painfully obvious last year).

Happy to agree to disagree but I'll certainly put more effort into watching an occasional game. Thanks for the clue that that might help.

I agree there were games in 2016 when our F50 didn't function well, but equally there were games later in the year when it did, even allowing that Cox carried an injured shoulder late in the season. You're taking the negative as an absolute and a predictor of future capacity, I choose to be more open minded.

no worries mate. that is why I am here.

remember, I was the one who said Cox would never EVER play an AFL game so I am a complete expert in these matters......

Your wisdom knows no bounds...

Laz always reminds me that you didn't think Cox could kick
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Yes we have had our fair share of injuries but as one of the major Melbourne papers reported towards the latter stages of last season the Western Bulldogs were only marginally better off than our situation at the time and yet they still qualified for finals and this in turn ended up giving them the extra time to get a couple of players back in time for the preliminary and grand final.

At present probably only Sinclair is seen as a long term on our injury list and in reality our current situation is probably not to dissimilar to most others.

Correct, without that week off, pre Finals, theres no way the doggies would have won the flag, it was a perfect storm for them of everything going right, including stevie Js suspension, and getting far more free kicks in the GF than the hapless swans. Jeeesus, I wish the PIes could get a dream run of frees like that in a GF, thatd be the day. ! Shocked

But you miss my main point.

They made the finals despite an injury list size almost identical to our own.

People say they were lucky during the finals yet overlook they had to win two interstate finals and beat Hawthorn just to make the grand final.

It was an awesome September performance and one I'm envious of.

Yeh, OK, but the fact is the Hawks were done, hell, we should have beaten them in the last round. and IMHO if silly bloody Stevie J had played for GWS, I reckon they would have beaten the Dogs up there. That was a very, very costly omission. Granted, they had injuries, but that week off pre Finals helped them heaps, and of course, a 17-4 free kick tally at one stage in the GF, the dogs way, don't tell me THAT didn't help. ! LOL, as I say, bloody hell, imagine if in the first GF of 2010 the PIes had a free kick count like that, the game would have been well over at end of third quarter. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: