Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injury and fitness (the race for Round 1)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Langdon Seir Sinclair Brown Kirby for sure. Elliott Wells likely barring mishaps
between now and round one
Likely players competing for spots like Mayne Ramsay Scharenberg Fasalo Crisp Greenwood Maynard will be given more game time to force there way into or out if the round 1 side

Locks barring injury for round one are Pendles Treloar Adams DeGoey Grundy Moore Reid Howe Wells Elliott Varcoe Dunn Sidey
Other than that the rest are up for grabs IMO

Langdon, Sier, and Brown all back in full training yesterday from all reports, as is Ben Reid.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

I also heard Cox did his Hammy

Yes I heard that rumour as well but its not confirmed yet so I didn't mention it.

Not a terrible outcome. At least Buckley wont make the mistake of playing him as second ruckman in round 1.

Cox needs to be managed so that he can step in as a number one ruck only in the event Grundy goes down or needs a rest.

The forward line experiment is a failure (in a Cox forward line, unless he marks it - and i think he's good for 5 marks out of 40 forward entries and three goals a game - our forward 50 entry is probably three times as likely to result in an opposition goal on the overlap than a Collingwood goal).

yes, I thought that was the conclusion from that appalling game against Richmond in August last year. Cox is a ruckman, but he's too immobile to be a modern forward.

Disagree. Cox is averaging 1.55 goals a game in his first 11 games in a team struggling to score. Just how many of the other developing gun KPF's have averaged that or better in their first 10-15 games? And that's without even considering that Cox is just a baby in terms of his footy history relative to these other guys.

Patton - 1.2 per game in first 29 games across 3 seasons
Cameron - 1.8 across 16 games 1st season
Lynch - <1 per game across 30 games in 1st 2 seasons
Daniher - 1.2 a game across 26 games in his 1st 2 seasons
McCartin - 1 goal a game across 1st 17 games
Schache - <1 goal a game across his 1st 17 games

Hell, even Franklin only averaged a goal a game across his 20 games.

Hogan, an exception in that he's averaging better than 2 goals a game, but without looking too deeply at it there don't appear to be too many others.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:49 pm

I was looking forward to having Wells in our side this year, but it seems the doubters may well be right. Seems his body is going to let him down. I notice a subtle change in the language used by Bucks. Now the plan is to have him up and playing "at the back end of the season". Is this code for "he's phucked and won't play for a few months"? I hope I'm wrong as Wells is a silky player, when up and about, but it's beginning to look like it he was a dumb acquisition, considering the money he's on. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:57 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I was looking forward to having Wells in our side this year, but it seems the doubters may well be right. Seems his body is going to let him down. I notice a subtle change in the language used by Bucks. Now the plan is to have him up and playing "at the back end of the season". Is this code for "he's phucked and won't play for a few months"? I hope I'm wrong as Wells is a silky player, when up and about, but it's beginning to look like it he was a dumb acquisition, considering the money he's on. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Howe missed the first couple of games last season, then didn't miss a game for the rest of the season. We'll have to wait to see how it pans out with Wells, but the expectation was that he was never going to play all 22 games. If he misses the first couple of games, it's no big deal, but if he misses the back end of the season when we're fighting for a spot in the eight, that's more of an issue.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm

jackcass wrote:
Disagree. Cox is averaging 1.55 goals a game in his first 11 games in a team struggling to score. Just how many of the other developing gun KPF's have averaged that or better in their first 10-15 games? And that's without even considering that Cox is just a baby in terms of his footy history relative to these other guys.

Hogan, an exception in that he's averaging better than 2 goals a game, but without looking too deeply at it there don't appear to be too many others.

The issue isn't what he is scoring. He's coming along nicely in that regard. The issue is that unless he can clunk that mark, he rapidly becomes useless at stopping the rebound.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Geek wrote:
jackcass wrote:

The issue isn't what he is scoring. He's coming along nicely in that regard. The issue is that unless he can clunk that mark, he rapidly becomes useless at stopping the rebound.

exactly Geek. This is spot on. I think Cox would have to kick about 8 or 9 goals a game to justify his spot on the field because that's about how many goals per game that opponents seem to score charging out of a Cox forward line and waltzing into open goals on the overlap. It was amazing last year just how easy it was to escape those Cloke, White, Cox forward lines......

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm
Post subject: More injuires, why is Davokian a protected species ??Reply with quote

Well. the injury curse is upon the Pies again. Elliott, Sinclair, Josh Smith, and Cox has done a hammy. It never bloody ends, and the season proper has not even started for chirssakes !! Our last THREE seasons have been utter disasters on the injury front, worse than nearly every other club, yet it goes on and on. My question is, WHY has President for Life, Eddie, refused to sack this Davokian guy, the one who has over seen this utter disaster ?? How much longer must we wait before McGuire finally sees the penny drop and sacks this guy, and most of the whole useless Fitness Dept, before yet ANOTHER season is totally ruined by mass injuries ?? Surprised Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:20 pm

E wrote:
Geek wrote:
jackcass wrote:

exactly Geek. This is spot on. I think Cox would have to kick about 8 or 9 goals a game to justify his spot on the field because that's about how many goals per game that opponents seem to score charging out of a Cox forward line and waltzing into open goals on the overlap. It was amazing last year just how easy it was to escape those Cloke, White, Cox forward lines......

Again, I disagree. I'm happy to wait and see how he goes this season with another pre-season under his belt, the anticipated improvement in F50 delivery, and a 1st choice group of small - medium forwards like Elliott, Fasolo, WHE, Broomhead and Mayne at his feet. How many games did any of those 5 players play along side Cox in 2016?

Just don't understand why there is so much negativity in relation to Cox as a KPF prospect. None of the players I've mentioned above are overly great in the defensive aspects either, and don't score as heavily, so why should Cox be seen in a lesser light?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Well. the injury curse is upon the Pies again. Elliott, Sinclair, Josh Smith, and Cox has done a hammy. It never bloody ends, and the season proper has not even started for chirssakes !! Our last THREE seasons have been utter disasters on the injury front, worse than nearly every other club, yet it goes on and on. My question is, WHY has President for Life, Eddie, refused to sack this Davokian guy, the one who has over seen this utter disaster ?? How much longer must we wait before McGuire finally sees the penny drop and sacks this guy, and most of the whole useless Fitness Dept, before yet ANOTHER season is totally ruined by mass injuries ?? Surprised Rolling Eyes

Yeah, how dare he cause Smith and Elliott to role ankles in match simulations...
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

Do you always whinge? Elliot was a rolled ankle what does that have to do with the fitness guy. Sinclair did his hammy while trying to tackle someone while his body was at full stretch.
LALU Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:31 pm

We have a small injury list compared to a lot of other clubs
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:31 pm

schuey07 wrote:
Do you always whinge? Elliot was a rolled ankle what does that have to do with the fitness guy. Sinclair did his hammy while trying to tackle someone while his body was at full stretch.

Cue the club sycophants back in action, front and centre. I guess we excuse the last totally ruined 3 seasons too, destroyed by mass injuries. ?? Come and see me when the injury toll goes up and up, as it will under this guy Confused

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm no club sycophant, just a logical person. You can blame rolled ankles on the training technique. That's just idiotic, but your posts of late have sounded like a grumpy old man who needs to whine about everything. There is no logic to your post. Two of the injuries are rolled ankles, you can't overtrain an ankle the other is a hamstring that was torn by an injury prone player while at full stretch.

If they were injured just running around the training track different story.

On a side note, we have been losing for the past three years, not because of injuries, but because we have no game plan. Do you actually understand the game and what you are watching, or are you one of those old timers who scream out, "kick it long down the guts"?

You clearly have no idea how the modern game is played and what the tactics ans game style of the successful teams are. If you did you would understand why we have been s$%t for 3 years.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:57 pm

schuey07 wrote:
I'm no club sycophant, just a logical person. You can blame rolled ankles on the training technique. That's just idiotic, but your posts of late have sounded like a grumpy old man who needs to whine about everything. There is no logic to your post. Two of the injuries are rolled ankles, you can't overtrain an ankle the other is a hamstring that was torn by an injury prone player while at full stretch.

If they were injured just running around the training track different story.

On a side note, we have been losing for the past three years, not because of injuries, but because we have no game plan. Do you actually understand the game and what you are watching, or are you one of those old timers who scream out, "kick it long down the guts"?

You clearly have no idea how the modern game is played and what the tactics ans game style of the successful teams are. If you did you would understand why we have been s$%t for 3 years.

<snip> I may be older than you pal, but at least I have got there, you have to get there yet sonny, so I would not mouth off about age like that, karma is a bitch you know. ! I actually DO know the modern game very well, thanks very much, and the fact is, if we field a decimated team nearly every week, as we have for three long years, its very very hard to put into promise a real game plan, especially with so many kids filling holes and gaps, or does that not register with you. You can blame Bucks all you like, but this Davo jerk has overseen an absolute disaster with chronic injuries for three years, and don't think it will get any better, it wont. ! Exclamation

E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:17 pm

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
Geek wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Again, I disagree. I'm happy to wait and see how he goes this season with another pre-season under his belt, the anticipated improvement in F50 delivery, and a 1st choice group of small - medium forwards like Elliott, Fasolo, WHE, Broomhead and Mayne at his feet. How many games did any of those 5 players play along side Cox in 2016?

Just don't understand why there is so much negativity in relation to Cox as a KPF prospect. None of the players I've mentioned above are overly great in the defensive aspects either, and don't score as heavily, so why should Cox be seen in a lesser light?

I guess you have to watch the games. Listen, Cox is just particularly bad at this. Its just a fact. I will say however, that i agree that this limitation is not as bad if he is the only one there with this limitation. If you surround him with the likes of Blair, Elliot, Faz, WHE and Mayne, obviously the weakness will be alleviated to some extent.

At this point i should note that my main opposition to Cox has been in response to the idea that we should consider playing with all 4 of Moore, White, Cox and Grundy. The thought of Cox, White and Moore in one forward line just wont work (it was painfully obvious last year).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: