Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MMM: Main Man Mayne:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So does the Mayne non selection add weight to the belief that it was Allen who pursued him and not Hine or Buckley or is it purely about his form not warranting selection?

I found it interesting that on Footy Classified this week they said Buckley was in the dark early on about our or Allen's interest in him.

I certainly don't agree with the money offered to him or Wells and seeing Martin running around last night I wish we held off acquiring both and built a war chest to pursue a Martin or Fyfe.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 am

I do think we have given him a tad too much money, but I'm hoping he can do something like Medhurst did when he came over.

I believe we still have room in the cap and will be able to chase an established player in October.

But yeah, we've given CM a bit too much, but it is what it is I guess?

MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 am

Both Wells and Mayne have the potential to set the club back years. They may have cost nothing in a trade sense but the money foregone in the salary cap will be a massive limiting factor moving forward.

You may argue that a salary cap min means you have to pay someone but that ignores bringing existing contracts forward and banking salary cap space for future years.

The whole Gubby affair and time at the club stinks. It looks like the coach, the recruiter and Gubby were all on different pages and dysfunction was rife. Only one person was responsible for this and he remains at the club.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 am

MarkOSuv wrote:
Both Wells and Mayne have the potential to set the club back years. They may have cost nothing in a trade sense but the money foregone in the salary cap will be a massive limiting factor moving forward.

You may argue that a salary cap min means you have to pay someone but that ignores bringing existing contracts forward and banking salary cap space for future years.

The whole Gubby affair and time at the club stinks. It looks like the coach, the recruiter and Gubby were all on different pages and dysfunction was rife. Only one person was responsible for this and he remains at the club.

You really think the club wasn't thinking about the long term effects when they signed these contracts. Remember us fans have not the slightest clue.... not even an inkling... of what goes on behind closed doors.

I'm not sure about the Mayne signing but I think the hysteria of Wells is over the top. He copped a kick to the calf ... I guess you could argue every injury is bad luck but that seems particularly unlucky. With a bit of luck he'll be back very soon and we'll have the no.1 and no.2 inside 50 deliverers playing in the same team.

As for Mayne.. I knew next to nothing about him, and still don't, so can't comment. I would say one thing... don't believe the media when they say what money he's on. Remember all the hoo ha about Howey coming across to us. "Oh he went for the money"... "He's greedy".. etc etc.... and then that article comes out earlier this year where in fact he took a pay cut. Seriously, as fans we need to stop getting sucked into the click bait.

Footnote: If the club has confirmed the money he's on... I retract the above comments about Mayne's coin!!!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:33 am

If the information floating around that both Mayne and Wells contracts are front ended then any impact is minimal. We haven't played a game yet nor is it the end of the season. I will give it 12 months and see what transpires.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:37 am

He's no Medhurst
MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:45 am

He looked cooked for Fremantle last year.

Our recruiting recently has been quite average. You look at the Tigers last night and Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy all looked like very good additions.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:28 am

I couldn't give a stuff about The criticism from outside about wells and Mayne. When you had bugger all early draft picks Like we did, to pick up two free agents, both experienced, in a team of kids, was a very astute move I reckon.

Like Culprit said, let's judge it in 12 months.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 am

MarkOSuv wrote:

Our recruiting recently has been quite average. You look at the Tigers last night and Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy all looked like very good additions.

But you have to compare apples with apples don't you?

High draft pics vs high draft pics
Mid draft pics vs mid draft pics
Free agents vs Free agents

Surely comparing draft pics or players secured using draft pics vs free agents who walk to your club for a bit of coin is (to be nice) unwise?

That said, freeman, DeGoey, Sharenberg is off to a jittery start with one already gone and fingers crossed on the other two.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am

September Zeros wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

Surely comparing draft pics or players secured using draft pics vs free agents who walk to your club for a bit of coin is (to be nice) unwise?

That said, freeman, DeGoey, Sharenberg is off to a jittery start with one already gone and fingers crossed on the other two.

Our recruiting has been average for a few years now. My opinion is you only bring in Free Agents and trade when you have built and done the hard yards in the draft. A bit like St. Kilda now. Trades and free agents should be a compliment to your drafted players.

Our recruiting last year was terrible. It reeked of desperation and serious dysfunction between Gubby, Hine and Buckley. No one can defend it if they are half neutral and not blinkered.

Last edited by MarkOSuv on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:57 am

September Zeros wrote:
[quote="MarkOSuv"]He looked cooked for Fremantle last year.

Our recruiting recently has been quite average. You look at the Tigers last night and Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy all looked like very good additions.[/quote]

We have never talked about it before.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:25 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

Our recruiting has been average for a few years now. My opinion is you only bring in Free Agents and trade when you have built and done the hard yards in the draft. A bit like St. Kilda now. Trades and free agents should be a compliment to your drafted players.

Our recruiting last year was terrible. It reeked of desperation and serious dysfunction between Gubby, Hine and Buckley. No one can defend it if they are half neutral and not blinkered.

Incorrect.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Our ability to chase a free agent this year gone was non existent as we had already spent our 1st round draft pick on Treloar.
We had to go to the market with nil draft picks of real value and try and fill some experience voids we had.
Wells and Mayne fill those voids to a extent but neither will hamper our ability to go to the draft or trade table in coming years.
My understanding of the cap is you must spend a minimum of 95 or 97% each year and over a 2yr cycle you must have spent combined 100% average each year.
We may have had to pay some overs to use up cap space to get to a minimum we on the outside don't know but I'm sure those in charge do know and wouldn't have commited us to anything that would jeopardise our long term plans.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Mayne is in tonight. He has been smashed from Pillar to Post in the media and gets a chance to answer his critics.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:04 pm

I don't think people have a problem with the drafting of Mayne and Wells it's just the price tag.

4@500k seems excessive in both years and salary for Mayne while anything more than a 2 year offer for Wells is very risky given 2 out of his last 3 seasons have been ruined by injury.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: