Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MMM: Main Man Mayne:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 pm
Post subject: MMM: Main Man Mayne:Reply with quote

Article in the Age

....."I felt that I needed a fresh start," he said. "I felt like I became a part of the furniture at Fremantle, so I wanted to find another level of my football and find something else I could improve on.

"And to be able to come and learn from the players we have in our team and coaching staff we have, I feel like my football can only go upwards...."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/chris-mayne-says-hes-got-years-of-good-footy-to-offer-collingwood-magpies-20170222-guimxy.html

Good luck Main man Mayne

(naysayers please go elsewhere)

Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably won't get too many touches of the footy but if he can be efficient in front of goal(which he has for a good chunk of his career), and hurt guys with bone crunching tackles he'll be an important piece. We haven't had a big enforcer in the forward line since Leroy brown.
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 am

"& the $2 million contract offer was more than Fremantle were willing to pay, and sets me up for life..."

You never hear those comments. Though I guess Gaz and Scully were at least honest.

Wells also took the bigger contract offer... nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not convinced on Mayne though. Handy utility, but I only have him as a backup at this stage, behind:

Moore - obvious reasons
Elliott - more ability and scoreboard potential
Fasolo - should emerge this year, more scope for development, great kick & mark
WHE - faster, better skills, more development potential
White - more mobile, faster, taller. Better for balance
Cox - helps Moore, better balance. draws tallest defender, always gets free kicks and can mark...
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 am

When you live on the East Coast you miss out on the exposure of players on the West Coast. Mayne isn't a hack and he is exactly what we have been missing in the forward line. He is 6ft 4" and has pace, can mark and his tackling is up there with the best. His role and his experience will bring enormous benefits to the youngsters around him. Our game style is way different than Freo's is currently and he has to adjust. I would be happy to get 50% of what Mayne showed in 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNlOjuH-mj4

On a side note., we haven't played a real game yet.
The Weed 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:36 am

6'2" not 6'4"

Not a key forward, shorter than Crisp
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:40 am

The Weed wrote:
6'2" not 6'4"

Correct me bad.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 am

Mayne is what you'd get if you mated Dyson Heppell with Ricky Nixon.

Basically he's a spoodle.

E 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:54 pm

cityslick1 wrote:
"& the $2 million contract offer was more than Fremantle were willing to pay, and sets me up for life..."

You never hear those comments. Though I guess Gaz and Scully were at least honest.

I'm not convinced on Mayne though. Handy utility, but I only have him as a backup at this stage, behind:

Moore - obvious reasons
Cox - helps Moore, better balance. draws tallest defender, always gets free kicks and can mark...

cant have Moore, Cox and Whitew in the same forward line. will get slaughtered on the rebound.

Most likely one of White or Cox wont get a game and Mayne or Blair will get the nod as the defensive forward.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:19 pm

[u]
E wrote:
cityslick1 wrote:

Moore - obvious reasons

cant have Moore, Cox and White in the same forward line. will get slaughtered on the rebound.

Most likely one of White or Cox wont get a game and Mayne or Blair will get the nod as the defensive forward.

I disagree. Think they all bring something different, especially with Moore and Cox getting another preseason under their belts, and there was sufficient evidence last season that it can work.

The question for me is can you play Moore, White, Cox and Mayne in the same F50? That, I'm not as confident on.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Mayne will be the third tall in our forward line.

Defensive pressure is the strength of his game and if he can kick about 25 to 30 goals this season, I'll be happy with that return.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Culprit wrote:
The Weed wrote:
6'2" not 6'4"

Correct me bad.

Interesting, he must have shrunk crossing the Nullabor. Either that or Freo had a dodgy tape measure, i was sure he had been quotes at 191cm, but he's 188.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:28 pm

One of our biggest weaknesses last season was our inability to keep the ball in our forward 50. There were game where our defensive pressure in the forward 50 was almost no existent. All the opposition needy to do was bring the ball to ground and rebound straight into our defensive 50. Mayne will be a good measure in turning this around.

Last edited by Member 7167 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
E 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Done of biggest weaknesses last season was our inability to keep the ball in our forward 50. There were game where our defensive pressure in the forward 50 was almost no existent. All the opposition needy to do was bring the ball to ground and rebound straight into our defensive 50. Mayne will be a good measure in turning this around.

That's because we played Moore, Cox and White and sometimes Cloke as well in our forward line. Cant carry even ONE guy without the ability to stop the counter. Some weeks, we had three dudes.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Done of biggest weaknesses last season was our inability to keep the ball in our forward 50. There were game where our defensive pressure in the forward 50 was almost no existent. All the opposition needy to do was bring the ball to ground and rebound straight into our defensive 50. Mayne will be a good measure in turning this around.

One guy isn't going to fix that!

It is a team effort that helps lock the ball into an area.

Only as a team will we stop it and if the bombers game was any indicator we are a long way off it even with 2 players who have made careers off defensive efforts in Blair and Mayne.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:21 pm

jackcass wrote:
[u]
E wrote:
cityslick1 wrote:

Moore - obvious reasons

cant have Moore, Cox and White in the same forward line. will get slaughtered on the rebound.

I disagree. Think they all bring something different, especially with Moore and Cox getting another preseason under their belts, and there was sufficient evidence last season that it can work.

The question for me is can you play Moore, White, Cox and Mayne in the same F50? That, I'm not as confident on.

If Cox and White were decent marks, then I'd be a lot more confident but since they drop it a fair bit, it brings the opposition rebounders into play and they will always torch the bigger players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: