Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Another way to watch the Pies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 am
Post subject: Another way to watch the PiesReply with quote

From Anthony "@decryption" Agius, responsible for https://thesizzle.com.au/

Quote:
There's an alternative to the Telstra provided AFL streaming app
If you're a footy fan and don't want to pay Foxtel to watch your team play when a game isn't broadcast on 7 - there is an alternative besides the rubbish AFL Live app from Telstra. Get yourself a VPN (based in Singapore ideally - use Linode's $5/m VPS and Streisand) and sign up for Watch AFL. It's basically Foxtel making the Fox Footy channel available to those outside Australia. The quality is okay (nowhere near as nice as Foxtel's 1080p broadcast), but it's so much better than Telstra's offering. The apps support Airplay and Chromecast as well. Personally I'm still gonna pay for Foxtel as I like all the other sport and don't like the lag and relative poor quality of the online stream. They've got me by the balls.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

W'P'W --that is exactly what i think Telstra one needs for folks like me who have a Kmart telly (basic) configure app to accept Cromecast
I have Google CCast and watch many movies ex.You Tube and replays if You Tube has them and Crome Cast is bloody ripper

Will be in Greece all May so will investigate your suggested option

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:46 am

barrybc41 wrote:
W'P'W --that is exactly what i think Telstra one needs for folks like me who have a Kmart telly (basic) configure app to accept Cromecast
I have Google CCast and watch many movies ex.You Tube and replays if You Tube has them and Crome Cast is bloody ripper

Will be in Greece all May so will investigate your suggested option

It's the age of the TV rather than the price. Even cheap TV's sold over the last few years should have a HDMI input. Just need a lead that'll connect a HDMI lead to your phone.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:48 am

I have of course as Chrome Cast use's HDMI 2

Will try that and thanks

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:34 pm

Thank you sir!!

Hooked the tablet up to my Audiosonic tv via HDMI and opened AFL Live

Then sat back and re watched our last quarter on said tv

Happy now😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:40 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
Thank you sir!!

Hooked the tablet up to my Audiosonic tv via HDMI and opened AFL Live

Then sat back and re watched our last quarter on said tv

Happy now😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

So you used your Chromecast, Barry? I might buy one today.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 pm

No I have a separate lead with HDMI at one end and micro usb at the other

Plugged the HDMI end into tv HDMI then the micro usb end into my Samsung Tablet

Immediately the tablet home page came up on television so opened AFL live app on tablet and selected last qtr --it then played on telly

Still not full screen as it mirror's tablet but picture was bigger

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Does anyone know if it is just the tablets that have reduced screen size? Does it affect phones as well?

I also thought the replays were meant to go back to full screen after 12 hours or some such.
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:33 pm

I hinted at doing exactly this in another thread so can attest to its quality. The AFL have made significant upgrades to the service this year (I think it's got to do with Foxtel's deal [see third para] http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-announces-new-tv-broadcast-deal-with-fox-sports-and-seven/news-story/c5a5c857a4b02f8b1790b30e4dfba55d).

The service now streams at 1080p if you have enough bandwidth (>5.5Mbps) and the refresh rate is either vastly improved or there's some sort of smoothing software which makes it look equal to or better than 30fps. Looked truly marvelous on my mate's 75" 4k TV on the weekend (yes, full screen and no blacked out areas, Jackcass).

Well worth a try, although, there's no way to avoid paying for a subscription when the JLT series finishes.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:37 pm

What is that?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:10 pm

T2 wrote:
I hinted at doing exactly this in another thread so can attest to its quality. The AFL have made significant upgrades to the service this year (I think it's got to do with Foxtel's deal [see third para] http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-announces-new-tv-broadcast-deal-with-fox-sports-and-seven/news-story/c5a5c857a4b02f8b1790b30e4dfba55d).

The service now streams at 1080p if you have enough bandwidth (>5.5Mbps) and the refresh rate is either vastly improved or there's some sort of smoothing software which makes it look equal to or better than 30fps. Looked truly marvelous on my mate's 75" 4k TV on the weekend (yes, full screen and no blacked out areas, Jackcass).

Well worth a try, although, there's no way to avoid paying for a subscription when the JLT series finishes.

Thanks T2.

I get the subscription free as a Telstra customer. Used extensively last season.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:21 pm

jackcass wrote:
T2 wrote:

Thanks T2.

I get the subscription free as a Telstra customer. Used extensively last season.

You get the Foxtel subscription free or AFL Live Pass? If you refer to Live Pass I am not sure you can stream it to a TV. I know you can stream Foxtel Play to a TV and therefore if you have the Sports package you can watch ALF channel on your TV in that manner. Barry has done it with his Samsung tablet with HDMI cables but not sure if you can through Apple devices - they don't have any ports!

Last edited by didick on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:22 pm

jackcass wrote:
Does anyone know if it is just the tablets that have reduced screen size? Does it affect phones as well?

I also thought the replays were meant to go back to full screen after 12 hours or some such.

Apparently just tablets.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:28 pm

As comment earlier I made point that coupled tablet to tv via HDMI and opened AFL Live pass on tablet then selected Collingwood v Essendon 4th quarter on tablet and watched on the tv

But that is a video from AFL library for want of a better description

Proof that it works as a mirror of tablet on tv will be Freo v Pies

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:33 pm

ive posted this a few times now.

The below is using apple ipad, afl live pass and cheap ebay adapter. the example shown was a live match. it was however two seasons ago and whether the afl live app changes impact it now i dont know. But it worked for me for a season.

September Zeros wrote:
I posted this some time back in the "Free AFL live pass" thread. I used it last season to stream from the AFL live app on my ipad to my TV. It worked quite well.

September Zeros wrote:
Ok so I have successfully linked it up with an iPad and an adapter. (I posted this a few years back but the resolution was too poor to watch) No jailbreaking, no fancy IT work or use of terminology that Belongs in sci fi movies, Just a cheap arse iPad to hdmi adapter from eBay. Haven't tried it for a few years and now that I have nbn it's streams well. I'd love to get rid of Foxtel. It's a money pit with very little return. So I'll watch a few games like tjhis and see how it goes. Before anyone rushes out and does this i should add the picture quality via this method is like watching footy in standard definition. If you are use to watching high def and want it this isn't for you, but for a few bucks it maybe worth a try.

Here's the eBay link. You'll pay a lot more for newer iPads/ iPhone adapters ($50 upwards)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/S-for-Apple-iPhone-iPad-1080P-Digital-AV-Adapter-30Pin-Dock-Connector-to-HDMI-/301191314196?hash=item462066bb14:g:nrcAAOxy3cJTfXQT

I'll try and post a pic.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: