Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 predictions

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
My only concrete prediction is if we don't make the top 8 Buckley will be sacked.

Happy to have a single $100 bet if anyone thinks differently.

You don't actually have to sack someone who isn't contracted.

^^^^ ^^^^

Twisted Evil Razz Cool

Good one.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
My only concrete prediction is if we don't make the top 8 Buckley will be sacked.

^^^^ ^^^^

Twisted Evil Razz Cool

Good one.

Contracts mean nothing these days. You're coach unless the board says otherwise. Easy to pen another contract if the board is happy with the performance of the team. The coach is only one element in the football department, but if Buckley gets cold feet and decides he doesn't want to do it anymore the board will move on and find someone else. No individual is greater than the club.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:11 pm

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

So you believe Buckley doesn't want to be coach in 2018?

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:58 pm

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

If we are 0-2 the smell of blood will be palpable.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:37 am

The smell of blood has been palpable since the first minute after Mick departed **rollseyes.gif**
uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 pm

2017 wins - 14
2017 ladder position - 5
Leading goal kicker - Moore 41
Copeland - Treloar
Copeland placings - Treloar Sidebottom De Goey
Highest Brownlow place - Treloar
Best 1st year player - Schade
Best new recruit - Wells
2017 surprise performer - De Goey
2018 coach - Nathan Buckley

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 pm

H&A ladder position:4th
End of season:Premiers
Copeland:Treloar, Moore, Adams
Leading goal kicker:Moore 47
Brownlow:Bontempelli, Treloar
Best 1st year player:Kirby
Best recruit:Wells
2017 surprise packet:Keeffe

Stinger 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:21 pm

H&A ladder position:7th
End of season:Prelim
Copeland:Treloar
Leading goal kicker:fasolo 39
Brownlow: Treloar
Best 1st year player: Brown
Best recruit: Dunn
2017 surprise packet: Reid - plays every game
E 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 pm

i think one of the most important things that will determine how we go this year is whether Darcy Moore is ready to make the same quantum leap forward that Jordan De Goey appears set to make.

if Moore doesnt improve significantly, i just dont think we have the forward line to wreak enough havoc to win games.

Its a shame so much pressure falls to him. fortunately for him, for some strange reason, our fan base has zero expectations of Moore. all he has to di is appear optimistic and give full effort (something he always does - as does Blair by the way) and he gets a free pass.

I am trying to remember if there was ever a time when Travis Cloke had such low expectations. expectations of course determine how happy you are with someone's performance. Cloke actually had a reasonable season last year (for any player other than Travis Cloke) but because of his excellence over an extended period of time, we refused to tolerate him falling from superstar to serviceable player. Its the opposite with Moore. one mark, one goal and very little influence on a game and the reaction is - did you see that mark and goal, this kid is going to be a beauty.

Anyway, hopefully he becomes a 15 possession 8 mark and three goal forward this year because i fear without it, our improving midfield wont be on a team that can kick winning scores.

cityslick1 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:17 am

I agree, forward line is A key, as is Moore. Hasn't been compelling viewing so far in the pre-season, but we do have a swathe of talented smalls / mediums who can pinch hit and share the load. WHE, Fasolo, Elliott, De Goey, Sidey, Crisp, Pendles etc... We ARE the only team to score over 100 points in the JLT series so far, so...

My bigger worry is the backline. Watching other teams, they have mature players back there that are used to playing with each other, and often have a good mix of quick, slick ball users.

I've been bullish to date re our guys, but the more I think unbiasedly, the more I realise that the facts are...

Sinclair is our quickest defender, and is already out for half the season.

Ramsay is talented, but is still young, slight of build & coming back from a knee. Will be v good one day, but when...

Reid is our main guy, but has had limited prep & doesnt know most of his back 6 teammates well, or even at all these days

Dunn looks handy, but was discarded by Melb & isnt the future. Hoping he provides great experience, nous and kicking, but a Weitering or Lever he isnt.

Howe was v good last year and we need him to be even better this year. Again, needs time with his teammates, as half are new

Maynard is young and still makes mistakes. Has potential, but is 3-5 years off his best

Smith provides good run and carry, but is not quick and doesnt have that ability to shut down a dangerous small forward like Betts, Wingard, Heeney, Fantasia, Rioli, Greene, Petracca, Deledio, Motlop, Bennell... you get my point - everybody has one

Schade is new, lean and still learning the caper and his new teammates. May turn out a great find, but will take time

Keefe has been out a long time and may not even be used here. I liked him as a defender, but isnt overly quick or strong overhead, and only knows Reid out of his current teammates

I'm hoping that our midfield can help limit the supply to opposition forwards to ease the burden on our new backline, but in all reality, attack starts from defence, and our forwards arent the best in limiting supply, both in quantity and quality.

So, whilst I keep thinking that we can finish 8th this year, in reality, we may end up having one of the worst backlines in the league, that is still learning to gel together
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 am

E wrote:
i think one of the most important things that will determine how we go this year is whether Darcy Moore is ready to make the same quantum leap forward that Jordan De Goey appears set to make.

if Moore doesnt improve significantly, i just dont think we have the forward line to wreak enough havoc to win games.

Its a shame so much pressure falls to him. fortunately for him, for some strange reason, our fan base has zero expectations of Moore. all he has to di is appear optimistic and give full effort (something he always does - as does Blair by the way) and he gets a free pass.

I am trying to remember if there was ever a time when Travis Cloke had such low expectations. expectations of course determine how happy you are with someone's performance. Cloke actually had a reasonable season last year (for any player other than Travis Cloke) but because of his excellence over an extended period of time, we refused to tolerate him falling from superstar to serviceable player. Its the opposite with Moore. one mark, one goal and very little influence on a game and the reaction is - did you see that mark and goal, this kid is going to be a beauty.

Anyway, hopefully he becomes a 15 possession 8 mark and three goal forward this year because i fear without it, our improving midfield wont be on a team that can kick winning scores.

Darcy Moore is like Joe Daniher. They are gun footballers who can turn a game on their own foot. You don't have to worry about Darcy succumbing to pressure in his second year. The worry is more about keeping him fit on the ground. Just don't expect him to kick 5 goals and take 10 marks every game. Like Joe he will have up days and down days. Don't expect consistency with players as young as Darcy. We need others in the forward line to all make contributions if we're going to kick winning scores each week.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:18 am

cityslick1 wrote:
I agree, forward line is A key, as is Moore. Hasn't been compelling viewing so far in the pre-season, but we do have a swathe of talented smalls / mediums who can pinch hit and share the load. WHE, Fasolo, Elliott, De Goey, Sidey, Crisp, Pendles etc... We ARE the only team to score over 100 points in the JLT series so far, so...

My bigger worry is the backline. Watching other teams, they have mature players back there that are used to playing with each other, and often have a good mix of quick, slick ball users.

I've been bullish to date re our guys, but the more I think unbiasedly, the more I realise that the facts are...

Sinclair is our quickest defender, and is already out for half the season.

Ramsay is talented, but is still young, slight of build & coming back from a knee. Will be v good one day, but when...

Reid is our main guy, but has had limited prep & doesnt know most of his back 6 teammates well, or even at all these days

Dunn looks handy, but was discarded by Melb & isnt the future. Hoping he provides great experience, nous and kicking, but a Weitering or Lever he isnt.

Howe was v good last year and we need him to be even better this year. Again, needs time with his teammates, as half are new

Maynard is young and still makes mistakes. Has potential, but is 3-5 years off his best

Smith provides good run and carry, but is not quick and doesnt have that ability to shut down a dangerous small forward like Betts, Wingard, Heeney, Fantasia, Rioli, Greene, Petracca, Deledio, Motlop, Bennell... you get my point - everybody has one

Schade is new, lean and still learning the caper and his new teammates. May turn out a great find, but will take time

Keefe has been out a long time and may not even be used here. I liked him as a defender, but isnt overly quick or strong overhead, and only knows Reid out of his current teammates

I'm hoping that our midfield can help limit the supply to opposition forwards to ease the burden on our new backline, but in all reality, attack starts from defence, and our forwards arent the best in limiting supply, both in quantity and quality.

So, whilst I keep thinking that we can finish 8th this year, in reality, we may end up having one of the worst backlines in the league, that is still learning to gel together

Can't believe our backline is worse this year than last year. In fact it was a cot case last year before Howe was asked to move down back. It's true that Sinclair is a severe loss for half the season, but we still have Ramsay who has made an amazing recovery from an ACL. He is deceptively quick despite his injury last year. We had to make the change with Brown, Marley and Frost. It's not that they weren't contributing. All three have weaknesses that you can't hide. Maynard is now our premier medium defender at half back who gets better with each game. He has a mature head on his shoulders, is a beautiful kick and can negate the opposition's best small defender if need be. Smith is like watching O'Keefe last night against India. You think he's useless but actually he's not, because he does all the right things and is a good listener and learner. Goldsack and Scharenberg will chip in for cameos in the backline this year and we have Schade in reserve in case Dunn, or Reid fall over.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:39 am

How our forward line will function will depend on putting the right mix of players to suit how we want to bring the ball in.

We have lots of mobile forwards which would suit precision kicking to a leading/moving target. Moore excels in that kind of scenario.

if we resort to banging it long in hope, Moore will get killed. If we plan on doing that we need Cox up forward as the target with smalls around him to either crumb or tackle to lock the ball in our forward line and try to score from pressured turnovers

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 pm
Post subject: What is your top Final Eight, are the Pies in it ?Reply with quote

That crazy pre season time of the year again, crystal balls, hopes and dreams, prognostications, analysis, etc, so lets cut to the chase.

What is your top Final 8 and are the Pies in ??

In order mine is- Crows, Eagles, Swans, Dogs, Cats, Pies, Saints, Tigers. With Port an outside chance. Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BenBronx 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:44 pm
Post subject: Re: What is your top Final Eight, are the Pies in it ?Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
That crazy pre season time of the year again, crystal balls, hopes and dreams, prognostications, analysis, etc, so lets cut to the chase.

What is your top Final 8 and are the Pies in ??

In order mine is- Crows, Eagles, Swans, Dogs, Cats, Pies, Saints, Tigers. With Port an outside chance. Cool

No GWS Giants?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: