Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goodbye Dolly Gray

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenBronx 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
^

Ha! Funny you mention that. The first team I saw was MK Lightning Vs Guildford Flames.

Flames won the game.

I've been mostly following the MK Lightning and have attended a handful of their games. Possibly going next Saturday.

It should be interesting next season when both the Flames and Lightning make the step-up to the Elite League.

If you ever attend a Lightning v Flames game at the Spectrum then let me know and I'll shout you a beer. Always good to meet fellow Magpies in the UK Smile
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Will do mate.

I wasn't aware that Guildford was going into the Elite League, but it seems this news is relatively new?

BenBronx 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Will do mate.

I wasn't aware that Guildford was going into the Elite League, but it seems this news is relatively new?

Yes mate. It was confirmed at the end of February.

http://guildfordflames.com/flames_make_top_flight_elite_league_move
After 25 successful seasons, including 19 trophies from 6 League, 5 Playoff, 7 Cups and a Conference title, the Flames will, for the first time in its history, ice at the top level of British Ice Hockey with a move to become the 12th team in the Elite Ice Hockey League next season. 

The move from the English Premier League was ratified at an EIHL meeting earlier in the week.

“To say the least, we, as a club, are exceptionally excited to have been given this opportunity by the league and its board members”, said Kirk Humphreys, Chief Operating Officer.  “There are many reasons for taking the club in this direction, but primarily we feel that the time is right to step up to a higher quality, faster on ice product.  We believe the jump to the Elite League level will be well received by our fans, and best suits our own objectives in promoting the most competitive, entertaining hockey we can put on the ice within our business structure.”

“At the end of the day, after a successful quarter century, we are the same club, same home building, same ties to the community, but now we have the chance to compete in the highest league available to us, and hopefully our fans are as thrilled as we are to begin our next steps at the very top of British ice hockey.”

Of course, the on ice team is the vast bulk of what a move to the top flight means, and that is where Supporters will see the most changes, according to Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“Moving to the top flight of domestic pro hockey is unquestionably a step up to a faster game with a much deeper talent pool than we currently enjoy, particularly with a slightly younger generation of players who are far less attracted to the EPL than they are to the country’s top league.”

“Along with currently available player sources, the Elite structure opens up some global leagues that used to be part of our recruiting grounds in the former British National League,” Dixon explained. “Those leagues produced many of our former star players, but have been largely unavailable to us under EPL player eligibility guidelines.”

The Flames will be joined by fellow EPL member Milton Keynes Lightning in making 12 teams at the country’s ice hockey summit alongside Belfast Giants, Nottingham Panthers, Sheffield Steelers, Cardiff Devils, Coventry Blaze, Manchester Storm, Dundee Stars, Edinburgh Capitals, Fife Flyers and Braehead Clan. 

“We have felt ready for a move to the Elite league for several years now simply on the merits of the quality of their pro ice hockey product,” added Humphreys, “and that motivation combined with current setting of the British ice hockey landscape, made this the ideal time to commit.  We are pleased to join the Elite League in helping be a part of growing their brand.  We are excited to move forward with the certainty and the step up in quality of play that the top league offers to our club and our fans.”

Guildford’s addition to the Elite League was also welcomed by chairman, Tony Smith, who believes the league will be much stronger with 12 teams next season.

“First of all, I’m delighted to welcome Guildford Flames into the Elite League ranks next season and their inclusion gives our league much strength going forward,” he said. “With Milton Keynes Lightning also competing from next season, it’s an exciting time and our growth is a definite positive as we look to the future."

“Guildford are an established force in the English Premier League and they have a history of success at that level, which will stand them in good stead. “I’m certainly looking forward to seeing them next season and it promises to be a great campaign
ahead.”

At this time, no further statement will be made regarding the league structure and Conference.

Tony added: “As things currently stand, we are reviewing what the structure of the league will be and the Conferences so we can’t reveal anything at this time. “This is something that will be announced at a later date.”
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:00 am

BenBronx wrote:
After 25 successful seasons, including 19 trophies from 6 League, 5 Playoff, 7 Cups and a Conference title, the Flames will, for the first time in its history, ice at the top level of British Ice Hockey with a move to become the 12th team in the Elite Ice Hockey League next season.

A well earned call up then. I did notice they had a bigger following than most for an away game.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:02 am

How far up?
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:12 pm

stoliboy wrote:
War Horse: In the stage play they they have the song. The youtube link has been taken down but from the twitter account: https://twitter.com/warhorseonstage/status/699188381532692481

It's always an awesome surprise when you unexpectedly hear the song!

Saw Warhorse over the weekend. Yep it's there! At the beginning of the second act they are playing it. And a couple times after that too.

Have not seen the film, but I dont think it's there.

Pete 70 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 pm

I went to a pretty knock about catholic boys school in Melbourne in tutu mid 80s and we all got press-ganged into the choir. Ability was not relevant. The music teacher was a Collingwood tragic, and so as well as the usual Gilbert and Sullivan songs that you would expect we all learned, and performed at the great Dallas Brookes Hall speech night. Goodbye Dolly Gray. Sensational song.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:35 pm

My very first trip to USA in 1974 and I was in Spokane (Washington State) at the 1974 World Expo and a marching band with a chorus singing this

“Your a grand old flag
Your a high flying flag
And in peace long may you wave
Your the emblem of
The land I love
The home of the free and the brave”

Silly me though “They have the words all wrong (thought it was Demons team song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: