Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies run all over Dons. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a lovely evening at Ethiad - thanks MM for the comments.
Here are my observations.

MightyMagpie wrote:

Player Comments

Aish seemed to coast a bit and butchered the ball at times (DE 69%).
Did coast - thats ok - should not have lost any fans !

Blair 5 clearances and 17 disposals at 76%. Solid.
started well but not a game that demands best 22

Cox played 87% game time and didnt look to struggle fitness-wise as much as he did at times last season. Thats a good sign. Took a nice mark and we need him breaking packs in marking contests. DE of 37% is a bit of a concern.
Good signs indeed - Luemberger is a very good player and looks in great nick. Should have kicked a couple. Very good hit out.

Crisp 17 disposals at 82% with 7 clearances and 5 tackles. Solid.
Better than solid - Jack had a ripper ! Going up another level! Boom!

Daicos limited game time (41%) and didnt do anything to suggest to me he wont start in the VFL.
First time I'd seen him live and trust me, this kid is a star. He moved superbly and will be an elite mid - like his dad would have been.

De Goey superb Q4. 22 disposals at 68% with 9 clearances and 3 tackles. Stepped up in the absence of Pendlebury/Treloar/Adams.
SenFreakingSational. The many here who were doubting Jordy have egg all over their faces, that was a dominant performance.

Dunn didnt read the rule changes and got away with a lucky rushed behind. Nice supergoal. Clearly under instruction to push forward and attack when the opportunity arises. A decent start.
Expected more, and no lock as Plan A, though he looks in terrific shape.

Elliott showed glimpses of what we all know he can do before being dragged (33% game time). Got through which is the main thing.
Superstar - he is our heart and soul

Fasolo looked a bit rusty, but he is a livewire up forward and can push through the midfield.
Tried hard but miles off the amazing touch he had this time last year - needs to find form - keep trying Fas.

Goldsack hes one of my favourites, but he will need to step up a few gears or he will find himself playing VFL. Did a few 1%ers (5). Dunn probably slots in ahead of him based purely on that game.
Tried hard but lack of class has caught up with him. Great clubman. Ressies skipper !

Greenwood 19 disposals at 63% with 4 clangers. 2 rebound 50s and 5 I50s.
Was everywhere and excellent - he will never be an outstanding kick but seems to have improved and is best 22. My love continues to grow for him.

HoskinElliott flashier than I expected and ran down one player with a great tackle. 2 goal 1 behind. If he can bring the defensive game to the F50 he will offer us something.
Had a ripper - in a classic high HFF role. Classy with the footy - might compete with Aish if we are at full strength. Going to be very very good inclusion.

Howe I was disappointed tbh, but limited game time (39%). Anyway, bank that game knowing he can produce what he did last year.
You are right but nothing to be disappointed about, appears to have got fitter and still has an abundance of confidence.

Keeffe - solid return and his DE remains high (82%). 4 I50s. Showed he can provide a chop-out in the ruck. Forward or back? Next couple of games will tell.
Looks in great nick but I can't see a place for him unless its full back.

Maynard I know they have pumped games into this kid early, but for mine he is depth. 2 R50s and 3 1%ers.
Sensational AGAIN all night. Tough as nails, so strong and lethal leg.
Kid is a dead set star and for mine already our best defender.

Mayne disappointing first game for mine. Did have 4 tackles and 1goal, but 2 frees against and 2 clangers.
Dead set shocker ! WTF?

Moore pretty quiet.
Did nothing and didn't seem too bothered about it, and neither should we.

Phillips ball magnet. 24 disposals, but at 62%. Mainly uncontested. 9 marks and 4 tackles to go with 1 goal 2 behinds. Needs to sharpen up disposal and damage the opposition. 4 clangers.
Continued on from great intra-club and is a surprise packet - needs to get the ball off to the elite users, not try to do so much particularly going inside 50.

Ramsay busier than I noticed. 17 disposals at a tidy 82% with 4 I50s. 3 clangers.
Just a super footballer - lock him in Bucks!

Scahde showed a bit. 7 1%ers and 3 tackles.
Showed a lot - kept surprising - big chance to play FB - smart footballer.

Scharenberg limited game time (46%). 5 disposals at 60%.
What he did looked spot on - think id have him in my 22 already.

Sidebottom 21 disposals at 67%. 4 tackles and 3 I50s. 3 clangers.
VVGood

Sinclair hamstring so 37% game time. Was looking good prior to that with 8 disposals at 88%.
Was looking the same old Sinclair, always making it someone else's problem - thank god he is out of the equation.

Smith 22 disposals at 82. Mainly uncontested. 11 marks.
Very good and will get better - have to fit him in best 22

Varcoe 13 disposals at 69% with 5 tackles and 3 I50s. 3 clangers.
Why the hell we get Mayne when Varcoe can play the same role - and probably will - he moved well and all class.

White 11 disposals at 91%. Looked versatile and mobile.
Looked versatile and mobile and still not much good !

Overall super encouraging given Grundy Pendles and Treloar are a reasonable trio to bring in.
Essendon did take most of their better players off towards the end of the match so I'm not getting carried away just yet.
Did think we outplayed em all night and were only 4 goals down due to some ordinary officiating.
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 am

Was initially unhappy with the easy goals gifted to them & lamented another small forward tearing us up, but overall was happy with the slicker ball movement, clearance work and goal shot accuracy, and was rapt with the fitness and endeavour shown in the 4th quarter to run over them.

By player, these are the things that stood out to me

WHE very impressive. Brings a combination of pace, skill and x factor that we havent had since Daisy. Kid reminds me of Deledio in patches, and a smaller Fyfe at other times. Huge raps, but if he can get comfortable and produce over 4 quarters, he could be the bargain recruit of the year.

Sidebottom Looked v good. Prob going at 80%, but looked sharp every time he had the ball in hand. Looks set for his best season yet.

Crisp Very good. Back to his form from 2 years ago. Contested toughness, run and good delivery. Big year ahead and makes our midfield v strong. Super competitive. Love Crispy

JDG Very good outing. Did the same last pre-season, so needs to carry it forward into the next 7 months, but promising signs. Provides great toughness, tackling and contested ball desire and nous to really help elevate our midfield this year.

Keefe thought he was very good as he worked his way into the game. They had some solid ruckman playing, and our guys dominated them. With the time out and nerves he mustve been facing, it was great to see, and I have him sneaking into my best 22 at this stage.

Cox good in patches, and is a towering presence, but a liability with the ball in open play, which he needs to remedy. Will be exposed in the real stuff, but is a v handy backup to Grundy.

Elliott Slotted straight back in and showed his class. Massive addition this year and could carry our forward line. Will be an AA one day lets just hope its sooner rather than later.

Smith v good again and has to start round 1. Does everything asked of him, and makes someone like Aish look overrated. Bargain pickup.

Ramsay V good for his first game back. Could / should be our Heater replacement as has all the tools, and looks a lock in our coaches plans.

Sinclair sad news for the kid, as was going well and brings much needed run and carry. Hope hes fit again for round 1, as Id have him in my best 22.

Moore slightly disappointing to fire blanks for the second game in a row. Hope it doesnt continue, but hes getting more attention with Cloke not there, so needs to be able to rise above it.

Mayne disappointing. Panic buy? Looks to slow us down. Second game in a row that he hasnt really impressed, so hoping he improves. Not in my 22 at this stage.

Greenwood polarising. If we play a tagger, hes in, and he does give us good inside toughness. But he also slows us down and lacks penetration with his kicks. Hes in the 22 atm, and Im sure the coaches love him, but Id like to see more from him.

Phillips Good and bad. Obv v fit and can find the ball, but disposal and decision making needs to improve. Gifted them a goal in 2nd quarter? And failed to hit the scoreboard from 40m out at Etihad Promising signs, but still depth in my books with all the major players fit.

Blair did well enough, and provided good experience, but like Goldsack, doesnt represent the future, so isnt in my best 22.

Dunn Happy with that. First game, but already an improvement on Brown. Will forgive him the missed kickout, as the rest of his game showed good signs. Will be great to have his and Reids kicking coming out of the back 50.

Schade hoped for a bit more, but still finding his feet. Still like the draft selection. Handy back up.

Varcoe looked good, poised. Brings added experience. Just want to see more of the good stuff and hit all of his targets. Should give opposition teams headaches in our forward 50, alongside WHE, Elliott, Faz etc.

Fasolo disappointing. Should be looking to dominate these games, and hardly caused a ripple. Needs to step up in the real stuff, as hes effectively our 3rd tall forward and should be aiming for 50 goals this season. Lets hope he easing his way into it, or gets kick and reminder from the coaching staff that he hasnt arrived just yet.

Daicos wow looked the goods from his first touch. Wasnt expecting this, and I know his stats dont look that great, but had a hand in a few good plays. The fact that he may challenge someone like Aish for a spot is good and bad. Cant wait to see what Brown produces after this

Aish disappointing. Should be looking to stamp his authority of the game with no pendles, Treloar and Adams. Didnt. Has class in patches, but hasnt shown much development in 3 years, which is slightly worrying. Is touch and go for my best 22.

Scharenberg coming from a long way back and still getting used to the pace of the game. Looking for more from him in coming weeks, as hes in the 2nds atm in my books. Pendles really rates him, so I still have hope, but geez..

Goldsack - disappointing. Expected more from him as a senior player, but has lost confidence / ability and slipped. Signed a 3 year contract at the right time, but has given us v little in that time. With all the defensive departures, should be in best 22, but isnt...

Maynard didnt impress me that much, and still doesnt have elite decision making. Always leaks a couple of goals, and is still learning the caper. Has a nice kick though, and Sinclairs & langdon's injuries gets him into my round 1 best 22.

Which is

Keefe Dunn Maynard
Ramsay Howe Reid Smith
Sidebottom Pendles Crisp
Hoskin-Elliott White Fasolo
Elliott Moore

Grundy Treloar Adams

De Goey Varcoe Wells Greenwood

Keefe / Grundy can swing forward to help out Moore up forward, or keep Keefe back to take Boyd in Round 1, or the resting ruckman

Should compete with GWS and Doggies for best midfield in the comp this year. Primed for round 1.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:08 am

Smith is a ball magnet but his lack of pace keeps costing us goals on the rebound. Players have learnet to get him to follow them to half foward and then they turn and run off him. essendon had at least three goals scored this way.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:40 am

On Thursday hit out thought Keefe could be a rucking chance and like Cox insurance for
any thing that takes Grundy out (injury oe suspension)

Grundy IS our ruck and destined to be in top 5 in the comp

R_T_RUSH 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:36 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
R_T_RUSH wrote:
De Goey, Daics, Wil, Big Cox's tap work, Elliot ++

Negative: We are persevering with the 'leave your man to get to the contest' zone rubbish. Can work against sloppy, slow teams but even against Essendon last night created too many 'loose man' over the top plays.

The coaching staff have about 3 months left to sort it out. I have my doubts.

We dropped men back into the defensive zone in the last 10 minutes and we won the game, so that's not rubbish footy mate. That's modern footy and Buckley isn't Robinson Crusoe.

Also Essendon is far from the best team in the competition but they aren't the slowest team in the comp either. We beat a fast team last night.

Pleased you're excited about defensive footy any junior team can implement.

As I say, Bucks is in his sixth year and needs to successfully implement a game style that has not worked in the past five.

They may improve, but to call Essendon a fast moving team, particularly in a practice match is an interesting perspective
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:05 am
Post subject: That last quarter and the crowd chantReply with quote

In a passage of play where young Daicos uses clean hands to dish off and the eventual goal by JDG the crowd roared "Daicos ,Daicos"

A long time since that call echo,d around a footy field

Oh boy and we gunna here it a lot

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:25 am

R_T_RUSH wrote:
R_T_RUSH wrote:

Negative: We are persevering with the 'leave your man to get to the contest' zone rubbish. Can work against sloppy, slow teams but even against Essendon last night created too many 'loose man' over the top plays.

We dropped men back into the defensive zone in the last 10 minutes and we won the game, so that's not rubbish footy mate. That's modern footy and Buckley isn't Robinson Crusoe.

Also Essendon is far from the best team in the competition but they aren't the slowest team in the comp either. We beat a fast team last night.

As I say, Bucks is in his sixth year and needs to successfully implement a game style that has not worked in the past five years.

They may improve, but to call Essendon a fast moving team, particularly in a practice match is an interesting perspective

Watson and Goddard are slow, but the rest of the Essendon midfield is lightening quick.

All 18 AFL coaches drop players back into defensive zones. Eade came up with a way to beat congestion which is to drop 3 players back into the 50m arc at every stoppage. If teams did this it would produce much better football, but the AFL is obsessed with reducing the number of interchanges to slow the game down. Don't know about you, but I prefer faster footy, not slower footy that the AFL wants us to see. As for the AFL coaches, they coach to win, not to provide the entertainment. That's the AFL's job to provide the entertainment.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Anyone who's strictly anti-zone would not be able to follow any team without frustration. Everyone uses it to a degree.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Quote:
Aish disappointing. Should be looking to stamp his authority of the game with no pendles, Treloar and Adams. Didnt. Has class in patches, but hasnt shown much development in 3 years, which is slightly worrying. Is touch and go for my best 22.

Was not put in Postion to Stamp himself.

Bucks just played him in the Same Postion on the Wing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:56 pm

R_T_RUSH wrote:
R_T_RUSH wrote:

As I say, Bucks is in his sixth year and needs to successfully implement a game style that has not worked in the past five.

I'm surprized you see this fast moving as an interesting perspective: the slingshot movement is about quick moving play & players from 1/2 back & centreline: Gleeson, Merritt, Colyer, Tippunwati (?spelling) Watson by hand & his first few steps are very quick movers of the ball & almost all are fast & pacy.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:05 pm

I think we all need to remember this was a very early first hit out practice match. Lots of cobwebs to be blown out & new players learning about their team mates and all the players learning to adjust to new requirements of the coaching staff. To make definitive judgments from the first practice match can be & usually is quite misleading.

Having said that I was pleasantly surprised by:

1. Daicos's touches
2. WHE
3. De Goey
4. Phillips - although he needs to convert better (an issue from last year) & show a little more composure while under pressure - but he's still a kid but looks like he's already stepping up.

The forward line is a concern indeed looks a little shaky: Cloke went missing again.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:28 pm

swoop42 wrote:
So how many did Gault kick?

I still haven't given up on Gault making a real impact for us.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:31 pm

I have been told he is simply on loan to Swan Districts and is still in Black and White Stripes so he could easily return to us!

www.facebook/the hybernators
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 am

melliot wrote:
Our defence structure remains a big worry. We are badly exposed on turnovers. Really worried about key defence talls. But Doggies seemed to get away with minimal.

FFS I do not understand what this board gets so excited about with Maynard. He is Mr Mistake with ball in hand. Yes he hit's the the odd good one to a teamate. Then some real shocker that cost us too dearly.

Goldsack was horrible.

DeGoey will add to our midfield grunt.

WHE will add some outside class and maybe Xfactor.

Faz needed a kick up the arse. Played like a millionaire.

Great to see Elliott back. 35 goals added to the team.

Jesse was handy again.

Shazz did 3/5s of F-all.

Aish appears to be an un-offensive footballer.

Dunn might fill a role ok. But is he a premiership key back?

Mayne is a poor man's Blair. But is expensive instead.

Philips was handy and racked up the most stats. Just isn't that damaging with it.

Keeffe was handy. Seemed to play ruck and forward, not back.

Crisp was excellent.

Smith's kicking is excellent. Hits targets nearly every time and decisions are good.

Good to have a win. Was lookin like a loss early in the 4th.

Your comment about Scharenberg's performance is strange and unrealistic. It doesn't matter if he had one disposal or 50 disposals.

Do you realise what he actually did? Wasn't that his first match (or part of one) back after a knee reco? You can train as much as you like, but first game back, and for months after that, anyone in that situation is thinking can I run, turn, twist, stop, start, jump and land without tearing the graft back off?

His performance in the game, and actual contribution to the team, was completely irrelevant. The match was not played so that the Pies could get a win. Who cares about a win in February? Not the players, not the coaching staff, not the vast majority of supporters.

I am delighted with what he did. It was one more step in many steps to recovery. I rated his performance at 100%.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: