Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies run all over Dons. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Donny wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Josh Smith - 22 disposals, 15 kicks, 7 handballs, 11 marks - 93 DT points.

The epitome of underrated.

He and Crisp were the best of any of our players, with a significant number of disposals, for disposal efficiency. Both around 82%.

Next best was Blair. 76%.

Worst were Phillips and Greenwood. Around 63%.

Despite the disposal efficiency, I thought Greenwood was our best on the night. Was 1 of the few who contributed across the full 4 quarters, restricted Watson's influence and was a beast in the contests.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:19 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
R_T_RUSH wrote:
De Goey, Daics, Wil, Big Cox's tap work, Elliot ++

Negative: We are persevering with the 'leave your man to get to the contest' zone rubbish. Can work against sloppy, slow teams but even against Essendon last night created too many 'loose man' over the top plays.

The coaching staff have about 3 months left to sort it out. I have my doubts.

We dropped men back into the defensive zone in the last 10 minutes and we won the game, so that's not rubbish footy mate. That's modern footy and Buckley isn't Robinson Crusoe.

Also Essendon is far from the best team in the competition but they aren't the slowest team in the comp either. We beat a fast team last night.

We had at least +1 in defense all game and for large periods actually went +2.

We also allowed some pretty poor match-ups like Scharenberg on their fast smalls, Smith on McKernan, some just a consequence of how things played out, others obviously by design.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:21 pm

jackcass wrote:
Didn't see a single defensive mistake from Maynard. On the other hand there were a couple from Goldsack, a shocker from Dunn and two or three from Schade.

Yep, I'm a little less critical of players who make mistakes taking the game on which is generally where Maynard errs. Kid has 29 senior games to his name so he'll improve markedly in this area as he gains further experience.

not a fan of Maynard, but I thought he looked good last night, so maybe that should be 'was' not a fan of Maynard.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:28 pm

jackcass wrote:
Donny wrote:
Jezza wrote:

He and Crisp were the best of any of our players, with a significant number of disposals, for disposal efficiency. Both around 82%.

Despite the disposal efficiency, I thought Greenwood was our best on the night. Was 1 of the few who contributed across the full 4 quarters, restricted Watson's influence and was a beast in the contests.

It is, perhaps, worth observing that with his 17 disposals (only 9 kicks), Ramsay gained 370 metres for the team (behind only JDG with 373 and Smith with 372) at 82% disposal efficiency.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 pm

A Win is a win, only a practice game, but we take it an move on, and no injuries.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:49 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Didn't see a single defensive mistake from Maynard. On the other hand there were a couple from Goldsack, a shocker from Dunn and two or three from Schade.

Yep, I'm a little less critical of players who make mistakes taking the game on which is generally where Maynard errs. Kid has 29 senior games to his name so he'll improve markedly in this area as he gains further experience.

not a fan of Maynard, but I thought he looked good last night, so maybe that should be 'was' not a fan of Maynard.

I'm a massive fan of the kid. And remember he's still only 19.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Huge fan of Maynard glad he did well.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Game Style

Q1-3 I thought our ball movement was stilted and we tended to over-use the ball at times. Transition into the F50 and efficiency inside F50 was poor. There was a marked turnaround in Q4 which is what I think we would all like to see (not sure how much can be read into it as may have been the result of a Bombers fade-out with so many players returning from a long lay-off). Overall disposal efficiency of 74% was solid, but efficiency inside F50 was only 56% (28 shots from 50 I50s). With no obvious bulky key forward, I expected to see us push forwards high up the ground and run back into the scoring zone (à la “Pagan’s paddock”) and the mobile big men we have in Moore and White seem suited to this along with our smaller brigade.

We won clearances (an excellent effort given our outs), but we were out-tackled which I don’t like. There was one superb tackle in our forward line by a speedy WHE (I think).

Essendon ran and handballed more than us … I had expected us to have more rum and handball based on what I had read of training reports (we had 182 kicks vs 136 handballs, compare Essendon 161/164).

Spread of goalkickers to be expected.

My main criticism would be the risk/reward decision making at times … there was one passage of play in Q1 where we had 10 or so dinky kicks and moved the ball all of about 10 metres and there were several Essendon players in the vicinity of the target – one mistake and it was a turnover goal. The chance of that mistake happening gets multiplied when there are so many dinky kicks. I’d like to see more run and dare and fast ball movement – greater reward for the risk.

Player Comments

Aish – seemed to coast a bit and butchered the ball at times (DE 69%).

Blair – 5 clearances and 17 disposals at 76%. Solid.

Cox – played 87% game time and didn’t look to struggle fitness-wise as much as he did at times last season. That’s a good sign. Took a nice mark and we need him breaking packs in marking contests. DE of 37% is a bit of a concern.

Crisp – 17 disposals at 82% with 7 clearances and 5 tackles. Solid.

Daicos – limited game time (41%) and didn’t do anything to suggest to me he won’t start in the VFL.

De Goey – superb Q4. 22 disposals at 68% with 9 clearances and 3 tackles. Stepped up in the absence of Pendlebury/Treloar/Adams.

Dunn – didn’t read the rule changes and got away with a lucky rushed behind. Nice supergoal. Clearly under instruction to push forward and attack when the opportunity arises. A decent start.

Elliott – showed glimpses of what we all know he can do before being dragged (33% game time). Got through which is the main thing.

Fasolo – looked a bit rusty, but he is a livewire up forward and can push through the midfield.

Goldsack – he’s one of my favourites, but he will need to step up a few gears or he will find himself playing VFL. Did a few 1%ers (5). Dunn probably slots in ahead of him based purely on that game.

Greenwood – 19 disposals at 63% with 4 clangers. 2 rebound 50s and 5 I50s.

Hoskin—Elliott – flashier than I expected and ran down one player with a great tackle. 2 goal 1 behind. If he can bring the defensive game to the F50 he will offer us something.

Howe – I was disappointed tbh, but limited game time (39%). Anyway, bank that game knowing he can produce what he did last year.

Keeffe - solid return and his DE remains high (82%). 4 I50s. Showed he can provide a chop-out in the ruck. Forward or back? Next couple of games will tell.

Maynard – I know they have pumped games into this kid early, but for mine he is depth. 2 R50s and 3 1%ers.

Mayne – disappointing first game for mine. Did have 4 tackles and 1goal, but 2 frees against and 2 clangers.

Moore – pretty quiet.

Phillips – ball magnet. 24 disposals, but at 62%. Mainly uncontested. 9 marks and 4 tackles to go with 1 goal 2 behinds. Needs to sharpen up disposal and damage the opposition. 4 clangers.

Ramsay – busier than I noticed. 17 disposals at a tidy 82% with 4 I50s. 3 clangers.

Scahde – showed a bit. 7 1%ers and 3 tackles.

Scharenberg – limited game time (46%). 5 disposals at 60%.

Sidebottom – 21 disposals at 67%. 4 tackles and 3 I50s. 3 clangers.

Sinclair – hamstring so 37% game time. Was looking good prior to that with 8 disposals at 88%.

Smith – 22 disposals at 82. Mainly uncontested. 11 marks.

Varcoe – 13 disposals at 69% with 5 tackles and 3 I50s. 3 clangers.

White – 11 disposals at 91%. Looked versatile and mobile.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Donny wrote:
Jezza wrote:

It is, perhaps, worth observing that with his 17 disposals (only 9 kicks), Ramsay gained 370 metres for the team (behind only JDG with 373 and Smith with 372) at 82% disposal efficiency.

Yep, thought Ramsay was good although a little rusty. Will only get better each week.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Michael Gleeson at Fairfax:

“One truth out of Thursday night is that if Collingwood keeps Hoskin-Elliott, Jamie Elliott and Jeremy Howe on the field they will have the most exciting, high-marking highlight reel of any club.”
(http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/collingwood-and-essendon-a-night-of-theatre-20170217-gufeyb.html )

And add to that the leap of Darcy More and the enlistment of Max Cox into the 101st Airborne and (regardless of the win/loss ratio this season), it promises to be a truly spectacular season for the Pies.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:57 pm

think positive wrote:
Go Blair!
Philips and greenwood surprised me, I thought they looked better than that, how much of the ball did they have Though?

Plenty. Phillips had most disposals for us (24) and Levi had 19.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Woods wrote:

“One truth out of Thursday night is that if Collingwood keeps Hoskin-Elliott, Jamie Elliott and Jeremy Howe on the field they will have the most exciting, high-marking highlight reel of any club.”
(http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/collingwood-and-essendon-a-night-of-theatre-20170217-gufeyb.html )

And add to that the leap of Darcy More and the enlistment of Max Cox into the 101st Airborne and (regardless of the win/loss ratio this season), it promises to be a truly spectacular season for the Pies.

Well, we sure as hell wont miss Clokey, that's for sure, if all that forward line fires week in, week out. Exclamation Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:22 pm

BBHS wrote:
Huge fan of Maynard glad he did well.

Yep, he is going to be a crucial Tool for us in the years to come

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:28 pm

TV news see Sinclair due for operation

Any one see Jeff White has built on 2016 improvement and I used to wring my hands in
frustration when he had ball and got caught because he appeared to have no perifiral vision

But that quik side chip to Varco said kid you have improved

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Woods wrote:

Well, we sure as hell wont miss Clokey, that's for sure, if all that forward line fires week in, week out. Exclamation Very Happy

pica volant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: