Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies run all over Dons. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Smith - 22 disposals, 15 kicks, 7 handballs, 11 marks - 93 DT points.

The epitome of underrated.

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Our defence structure remains a big worry. We are badly exposed on turnovers. Really worried about key defence talls. But Doggies seemed to get away with minimal.

FFS I do not understand what this board gets so excited about with Maynard. He is Mr Mistake with ball in hand. Yes he hit's the the odd good one to a teamate. Then some real shocker that cost us too dearly.

Goldsack was horrible.

DeGoey will add to our midfield grunt.

WHE will add some outside class and maybe Xfactor.

Faz needed a kick up the arse. Played like a millionaire.

Great to see Elliott back. 35 goals added to the team.

Jesse was handy again.

Shazz did 3/5s of F-all.

Aish appears to be an un-offensive footballer.

Dunn might fill a role ok. But is he a premiership key back?

Mayne is a poor man's Blair. But is expensive instead.

Philips was handy and racked up the most stats. Just isn't that damaging with it.

Keeffe was handy. Seemed to play ruck and forward, not back.

Crisp was excellent.

Smith's kicking is excellent. Hits targets nearly every time and decisions are good.

Good to have a win. Was lookin like a loss early in the 4th.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:52 pm

Didn't see a single defensive mistake from Maynard. On the other hand there were a couple from Goldsack, a shocker from Dunn and two or three from Schade.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Well I suppose its better to just beat the wooden spooners than lose to them, but given we won our pre season games last year, it doesn't really mean much

For the 1st 3 qtrs. I am sure most people were thinking Same Old Shit

But impressive crowd...Be interesting to see if more people go to the G tomorrow night for an even more meaningless game of cricket!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 am

Buckley's post-match comments:

Thoughts on the match:
Quote:
"Pre-season games are up and down. It can be a little sloppy. We were good in patches, but there's plenty of improvement areas, but we would have liked to get out of it injury-free. Sinclair has injured his hamstring so that's the worst part of it. There's plenty to go back on and refine".

Doesn't know the extent of Sinclair's injury yet, but he described him as being "very sore" and scans will take place soon.

What he learned from the game:
Quote:
"Contestant ball is still pretty important. Essendon dominated that in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, but it was +19 in our favour in the last quarter with a significant lift from our midfield in particular".

Quote:
"It was pleasing to see De Goey, Crisp, Greenwood and Sidebottom basically hold the fort, with Varcoe as a cameo here and there and Aish sometimes. The inside midfielders lifted in the last quarter".

Comments on Mayne, Hoskin-Elliott, Dunn and Schade:
Quote:
"They all fitted in really well. Keeffe was in a similar situation to the Essendon players returning from a long break. It was good to see Josh Daicos step up and play his first game. Elliott, Ramsay Scharenberg had long injury layoffs with injuries, so there was a lot of encouraging signs for us. It was a good first step in the re-introduction to the caper and we know it gets a lot hotter than that for the players".

Comments on Elliott:
Quote:
"He has great intensity. He's a busy player. He tips into the defensive elements which we love. He really hurts with his possessions, can impact on the air and on the ground, so it was good step for him. He was disappointed to be pulled from the ground at half time, as he would have liked to have played more, but we will continue to step him up. He would have been capable to play a lot longer tonight. He hasn't missed a beat in pre-season".

Comments on the players missing and the next two pre-season fixtures:
Quote:
"We're 16 days away until the Fremantle match. The players rested in this match will play in the next two. We identified that it's going to be really important for us to get those back-to-back games against Fremantle and Richmond. The fact that the first one is a travel didn't deter us as we needed to get that back-to-back fixture to be ready for the early part of the season so those boys will hopefully play 8 quarters in those games. If there's anyone else we have to manage we will, but it's pretty much about trying to get our best mix together and build the chemistry and to continue momentum gradually up until the beginning of the year.

Comments on the players involved in Collingwood's VFL match against Vermont:
Quote:
"Reid got through three quarters and played really well. Wells was scheduled for three quarters, but he received a kick in the calf which meant we pulled him from the ground after two quarters. He'll train this week and continue his step up in the work rate and load. We have four other listed players that got through really well. Oxley broke his nose, but apart from that he got through really well".

More comments on the match:
Quote:
"It ended up being a high scoring game for 100 minutes of football. The hardness in you wants to see a better defensive effort. To keep a side down to 37 inside 50s was encouraging, but want to defend our defensive 50 better as they scored too heavily for the entries they had. We [wasted] our opportunities in the second quarter in particular. We went inside 50 17 times, but only kicked 1 or 2 late goals, so we can make more of our inside 50s and defend our opposition 50 better. If you can keep a side down to 37 inside 50s that's pretty good".

Comments on Hoskin Elliott's chance to be a regular in the team:
Quote:
"He keeps putting his hand up. He's played the wing role consistently through our match practice. He found himself forward and took a nice mark and kicked a goal late. He's played off half-back a little bit as well. He's really clean with the footy and he obviously has that aerial scope. Like a few of his teammates, he's still getting used to the new players he's playing with, but he's shown really good signs early".

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-02-16/jlt-buckley-reviews-recruits

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 am

Jezza wrote:
Josh Smith - 22 disposals, 15 kicks, 7 handballs, 11 marks - 93 DT points.

The epitome of underrated.

He and Crisp were the best of any of our players, with a significant number of disposals, for disposal efficiency. Both around 82%.

Next best was Blair. 76%.

Worst were Phillips and Greenwood. Around 63%.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:10 am

Three plus marks for me were Elliot (pulled at halftime for caution ) Bucks said he wanted to stay on

And De Goey playing tough and his tank having him contesting right to the end

Finally the clean work of young Daic's --crisp handpass to Jordan superb Goalllllll

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 am

First real hit out and some game time into some players that needed it. Amazing how some players skill levels drop over summer but they come back quick enough. Despite the scoreline I would say it was basically a draw with both clubs taking a lot of positives out of the game. I am a fan of Two Dads, Hoskin-Elliot was my highlight of the practice match.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:03 am

An interesting point in pre season Callum Brown was excelling till Glandular Fever pulled him up and Josh was lesser noticed so young Daic's got first run

Would have been interesting if Son of Rowdy was also in the game

Nit to be but just saying

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:58 am

A pleasing display from a kid named De Goey and reminisant of that Geelong game late in season 2015 where he controlled the midfield

Last night's game he worked and harder he worked the more potent he became--there is a message for him and the group there

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:04 am

watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Always nice to win, and spread of goal kickers was great. It's only one game, but we look better without Cloke. Ball movement was so much better too,

but

Up til 3/4 time, Bombers kicked 10 goals from Collingwood turnovers which isn't good.

Ist practice match mid February; I wouldn't draw too many conclusions.

What, do you think we'll be worse off without Cloke, not have many goal kickers and have poor ball movement?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:10 am

Last night with small input from Darc and Faz the fwd line (and on ballers) did well

First trial with top midfielder and ruckman rested and Elliot managed we can and am sure we will

X factor WHE and clean hands Josh Daicos will be the glue I believe over a few years that is

DT 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:33 am

Gee there is some rubbish written here. First practice match.

Daicos does not fumble (no.1 indicator of a good player) has poise and has an evasive step - oh my goodness, he is going to be a ripper in time

JDG - was very good, strong and powerful - big year for him

Elliott - quick great skill - fantastic to have him back

We will rely on a mix of players kicking goals rather than have a traditional forward line of two or three talls, a mid size and two smalls

Overall it was a good preview but still 5 weeks to go

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 am

You said it --JDG may now show us the 1st year promise but consistant

Elliot --gee we cried out for his forward skills last year

Daic's showed us a window into the future

And the possible X factor WHE

Dont want to get ahead of my self but a good hit out and as some one else said for both sides

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:44 am

I never read to much into preseason game especially the first one.
Generally I try to watch for subtle changes in game style ball movement etc.
Some pleasing signs but a few horrible ones as well
They kick 10-5 from turnovers in 3/4 ouch
We still seem to be playing some sort of spacial zone in defence which looked horrendous at times we seemed to be one man short all the time.
We butcher the ball badly at times with the usual suspects seemingly not to have improved
But on a positive note thought JDG was great worked hard all night and the longer the game went the more he became more dangerous.
Smith is very underrated doesn't do flash things but is honest and reliable
Cox surprised me seemed to give us first use often and did some nice things around the ground
WHE was fair but shows the X factor we need
Daicos for his limited minutes and involvement shows he wasn't overawed and has very subtle skills. Gee his movement between players close to goal late in the 4th reminded me of his dad nearly created a goal from nothing at a stoppage
Phillips was good
Glad to see Elliott Scharenberg Ramsay all get through ok. Keefe looked in by good nick but was csaught out a few times but I'm guessing that's rust.
I thought Dunn was good marshalling the troops and his big boot will be w bonus for us in the season proper
Few things I learned from the game
JDG working with Adams will give our ball users loads chances to impress
Moore is still learning his role but heck he's a competitor
Mayne isn't in our best 22
WHE on a wing gives is a different look then rolling forward becomes dangerous
Sidey won't be in our best midfield as a full time mid. He will be spending large portions of the game either as a forward or on the wing
White looks better when he gets up the ground then uses his agility and speed to get back in behind defenders

Couldn't believe sinkers bad luck poor bugger can't get a run at it
Overall no major damage done and loads of improvement left.
Would hate to think we old be at our best now it's a long way to September

Last edited by qldmagpie67 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: