Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do you think AFLW will last?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think AFLW will last?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 37 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 57

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 pm
Post subject: Do you think AFLW will last?Reply with quote

I don't. It's a novelty act and it's rubbish
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A novelty at best, cannot last stand alone, people wont pay money down the track to see rubbish like we serve up. Only hope is to play this comp in the main season, prior to big games by the REAL Pies team, on the G or elsewhere, as curtain raisers.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Too Early to Tell
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:58 am

What will surely last is people who don't like something continuing to waste e their time talking about it! Such negativity over something that has zero effect on you whatsoever, life is too short! Will your headstone say 'I told you it wouldn't last'. But then at least that will be partly true!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 am

It will last and it will get a lot better it just takes time. Women's football has been developing for many years, it's just the AFL in their wisdom basically divided the small talent pool to make eight teams hence we have such a great disparity in skill level at times. The media is the one that may kill it off. They build it up and it's not that great. Junior girls are coming through and will take a few years for it to be a standard that many will accept. It's been talked about as no football was available and people love football.

Only the ignorant ignore the fact that the boys have been exposed to football for a long time and could play right through at any level at any age group. For the girls it's relatively new for them to be able for them to play from Juniors right through to Seniors. Limited teams but this will grow with participation and the more participation means the skills increase as does the pool of elite players.

It's not great football but it's developing.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:53 am

I agree with the second post that the curtain raiser format is the way to go. There is no way it could stand alone for many years.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:06 am

Maybe, but before something gets this much exposure it has to be better than this. Exposing it so loudly at this stage of its evolution does it no service.

Whether it lasts will depend on how much money the AFL are prepared to throw at it, and for how long. And then, it'll depend on whether it can evolve into a good game... whether the muscular development of women really allows them to play the kind of football that most of us want to watch - the high marking, long kicking, etc. I have my doubts, but good luck to the young women who want to play, and I hope it works for their sake. It is hard to enjoy what I've seen so far, but let's give these dedicated women some solidarity and try to stick with them.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:21 am

Rd 1- no goals after 1st q
Rd 2- no goals after half time

Looks like we'll be primed to chalk up a big win Round 4!

I think the most logical solution to the problems the women's game is showng, would be to make the ground smaller.

Shorter grounds will enable more scoring- and faster scoring- 90+% of these players can't kick beyond 35 metres- shorten the ground!!!

Contest can;t be faulted- yet skills and stamina lacking for majority. Perhaps even drop down to 16 a-side (take away potential congestion of smaller ground) and allow extended interchange

Works well in short format- game and season length- scope to expand as level of play improves.

Sadly Pies women seem to be playing similar style to men of past few years.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:13 am

think positive wrote:
What will surely last is people who don't like something continuing to waste e their time talking about it! Such negativity over something that has zero effect on you whatsoever, life is too short! Will your headstone say 'I told you it wouldn't last'. But then at least that will be partly true!

Absolutely. It isn't my thing and I couldn't be bothered watching it - but I don't get why some seem to have the desire to ruin threads about it that other people are interested in. If you've got nothing to say, say nothing.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:30 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

Absolutely. It isn't my thing and I couldn't be bothered watching it - but I don't get why some seem to have the desire to ruin threads about it that other people are interested in. If you've got nothing to say, say nothing.

Yeh, but skint clubs on the AFL welfare drip, like the welfare Dogs and Deees, put money into this novelty, and still expect handouts from the League, that's what grinds my gears, if you cant afford it, don't have a team in it then, and don't expect welfare handouts courtesy of other clubs, like the Pies. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 am

Maybe the likes of Hawthorn were astute in taking a wait and watch approach as has been suggested elsewhere on this forum. I don't have a problem with our club getting on board because they want to be seen as progressive and reflective of modern society thinking. BUT there needs to be a return on investment. If they think that the likes of us, the rank n file Pies supporters are gunna make any contribution financially, via attendance, memberships, merch etc. then I think they are sadly mistaken.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:54 am

Staggering negativity from some.

It's great that young girls can now dream of playing for their club of support when they grow up.

Will the Women's league ever be as big as the mens? NO.

Does the womens league have to be as big as the mens to survive long term? HELL NO

The initial few years of this league will not have the quality that most want, but over time the depth in players will improve and so will the quality of play.

At the moment I'm only watching the Pies girls, but can see myself watching more games in the future when the quality improves.

It will survive long term, that is 100% certain.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:26 pm

It'll be here to stay, whether it will keep getting thousands of people through the gate I am not sure...but seems the AFL are committed to women's football. As are other leagues now.

Don't like it? Don't watch. It's not that hard.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

Yeh, but skint clubs on the AFL welfare drip, like the welfare Dogs and Deees, put money into this novelty, and still expect handouts from the League, that's what grinds my gears, if you cant afford it, don't have a team in it then, and don't expect welfare handouts courtesy of other clubs, like the Pies. Confused

I'm more pissed off that even though now they are the reigning premiers, they still get handouts fullstop!

(Yeah yeah yeah I know, but walk in my shoes, it's been a miserable fricken off season surrounded by awful awful bulldog fans, ugh)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Culprit wrote:
It will last and it will get a lot better it just takes time. Women's football has been developing for many years, it's just the AFL in their wisdom basically divided the small talent pool to make eight teams hence we have such a great disparity in skill level at times. The media is the one that may kill it off. They build it up and it's not that great. Junior girls are coming through and will take a few years for it to be a standard that many will accept. It's been talked about as no football was available and people love football.

Only the ignorant ignore the fact that the boys have been exposed to football for a long time and could play right through at any level at any age group. For the girls it's relatively new for them to be able for them to play from Juniors right through to Seniors. Limited teams but this will grow with participation and the more participation means the skills increase as does the pool of elite players.

It's not great football but it's developing.

This.

Of course it will last, there is desire to play it.

As long as the players are patient and don't expect to become fully professional athletes on comparable salary to the men anytime soon, it will survive, grow and thrive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: