Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie to remain club president until 2020.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

People seriously think a club with a supporter base the size of ours couldn't find a viable alternative to Ed?

While he's very much Ed's right hand man anyway I'm sure Alex Waislitz if he was so inclined could take over the role.

I'm sure there are notable others.

Hawthorn had a high profile President in Kennett also from 2006 to 2011.

Newbold took over in 2012 and they played off in 4 consecutive grand finals.

The sky wont fall in if Ed isn't President now as the hard work of restoring our finances has been achieved and the future appears secure.

Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:09 pm

^^^^

There is nothing at all stopping any Collingwood member from nominating and being elected to the board in any years that Ed has been President.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
^^^^

There is nothing at all stopping any Collingwood member from nominating and being elected to the board in any years that Ed has been President.

Here is the other line being run by the Ed lovers.
Anybody can be president of the good old USA or even CFC!
Anybody who thinks by just putting up your name and a few policies will get you elected is really stretching the truth.
Have you ever heard of factions, alliances, money, family and other powerful influences.
We have 70000 thousand so called members but a lot of them have no voting rights. Non whatsoever!
Collingwood has been notorious over the years with the control of the Board.
Afterall, we had very strong links with the Australian Labor Party
and they are champions of controlling pre selections.
The Board has come to an agreement to keep Ed as Prez until 2020.
And I guarantee Ed will have his replacement ready and able when he finally leaves.
Most of these Board replacements are a stitch up.
Only when deep divisions come along within the board or the members go crazy will there be any real chance of a change of direction.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:56 pm

thompsoc wrote:
^^^^

Anybody who thinks by just putting up your name and a few policies will get you elected is really stretching the truth.
Have you ever heard of factions, alliances, money, family and other powerful influences.
We have 70000 thousand so called members but a lot of them have no voting rights. Non whatsoever!
And I guarantee Ed will have his replacement ready and able when he finally leaves.
Only when deep divisions come along within the board or the members go crazy will there be any real chance of a change of direction.

I bet if you were in the states you'd be one of those 'sore loser' Hillary supporters protesting because you don't like the result. Anyone eligible could have put their hand up and run against Ed but nobody had the guts or could be bothered getting off their ass and be prepared to put in the hours required gratis. End of story. Get over it and support your President.

Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Damien wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
^^^^

I bet if you were in the states you'd be one of those 'sore loser' Hillary supporters protesting because you don't like the result. Anyone eligible could have put their hand up and run against Ed but nobody had the guts or could be bothered getting off their ass and be prepared to put in the hours required gratis. End of story. Get over it and support your President.

Exactly

When Eddie got his group together back in 1998 they were no guarantee of being successful with any of their ideas , but Eddie got on with anyway.

In 1998 Eddie was just a sports reporter , 5 year host of the footy show , and footy triple m radio match caller.

When did he have spare unpaid time to be President.

But hid did

And to this day no one has come close to even giving up as much unpaid time as Ed has for this club the past 18 seasons.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm

thompsoc wrote:
^^^^

I'm with you.

It's a puerile argument that anyone is free to challenge him.

Hate to break it to these people but unless you're a mega wealthy business man or woman you're not going to be President of an AFL side in this day and age.

Even then going up against a man who has his own media company as well as having current paid roles in radio, television and print you'd be up against it when it comes to the PR battle.

While I'm grateful for the job Ed has done there comes a time for everyone but I highly doubt any on our board who I expect have all been hand picked by him would have the stomach to challenge him if they felt it was warranted.

He's done a great job but in recent seasons I can't help but feel our club has fallen behind the leading pack once again, our training facilities have been matched by others, our recruitment is only on par at best, our injury management and prevention appears sub par and to be honest our club feels stale with our match day experience leaving most wishing for the good old days.

Personally I think Ed has sold a little of our clubs soul in order to grease the palms of the AFL executive and our expansion into women's netball and football only feeds the feeling to me that we're more about being a corporate brand rather than a football club now.

I don't know about the rest of you but I feel less passion for the club now than I did when I joined Nick's in 2008 and it's got me feeling angry.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:48 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

On the flip side if the ball had bounced the other way and a goal was award to Milne in the drawn 2010 Grand Final, Eddie would have been a worse president.

So Member you are saying luck is often a big contributing factor.
And we have had overall less than our fair share of luck.
This argument has been trotted out numerous times over the last few years.
See Lazza re injuries!
I don't buy it.
I look at it like climate change scientists do on climate warming.
Every extreme individual event cannot be directly linked to climate change but the overall trend of multiple extreme events can be.
And the overall trend of Eddies reign has been one of cronyism, bad admin, bad decisions both on and off the field.
Eddie did a good job in his first few years.
He cleaned out the cronies from the last admin and made some good decisions.
But now the old problems of long term political power has again raised the flag.
This happens everywhere.
I like that old saying;
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!
I am a firm believer in a fixed time limit for any Prez, prime minister, Ceo etc....

Thompsoc. Totally disagree with everything you say, but absolutely respect your entitlement to express an alternative opinion to mine. I don't know whether 20 years is too long for an AFL club president to remain in office, but I would like to think that Eddie will know when the time is right to hand over to someone else. Hopefully we make finals in 2017 and the question of coach and president will go to the back burner.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
NO Prime Minister lasts 20 yrs -aside from ol Menzies-nor any President of the US or anywhere. I cant think of any other AFL Club Prez whose hung around this long. Kennett was right on this score, a Clubs Prez life is around 10-12 yrs, no more, then they get stale, time for a change, eddie himself should realise this fact. Surprised

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-08-04/our-twelve-presidents

For 36 years, Harry Curtis was a name everyone in football knew. After playing 122 games for the Magpies, he went on to be Collingwood’s longest serving President in an era which included six premierships and the coaching span of the legendary Jock McHale.

More recently, Richard Colless was president of Sydney from 1993 to 2013

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Been mulling over why its taken the Collingwood board so late in the preseason to confirm that Eddie continues as president.

(Just imagine if the decision was the opposite - that Eddie is replaced, and on the eve of a new season. The club would be shaken to say the least. New brooms sweep clean and the domino effect of multiple new appointments flowing down the club food chain would not bode well for Buckley and the playing group aiming at playing finals.)

Maybe the reason its taken the board until now to confirm Eddie is Pres going forward is because Eddie has had his hat in the ring to replace Mike Fitzpatrick as AFL chairman? With Richard Goyder nominated to take over from Fitzpatrick, the board is now free to announce Eddie's contract extension.

Pity in a way. Eddie would have made a good AFL chairman. A natural job progression for him.
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Woods wrote:
Been mulling over why its taken the Collingwood board so late in the preseason to confirm that Eddie continues as president.

(Just imagine if the decision was the opposite - that Eddie is replaced, and on the eve of a new season. The club would be shaken to say the least. New brooms sweep clean and the domino effect of multiple new appointments flowing down the club food chain would not bode well for Buckley and the playing group aiming at playing finals.)

Maybe the reason its taken the board until now to confirm Eddie is Pres going forward is because Eddie has had his hat in the ring to replace Mike Fitzpatrick as AFL chairman? With Richard Goyder nominated to take over from Fitzpatrick, the board is now free to announce Eddie's contract extension.

Pity in a way. Eddie would have made a good AFL chairman. A natural job progression for him.

Because the AGM used to be held in early mid December , and was moved to a date in February about 3 years ago.

Probably because of people being away leading up to Christmas.

Therefore the closing time for any Collingwood member to nominate to run for to be elected to the board now becomes early mid Feb , when it used to be mid late November..

A few clubs also now hold their AGM in the new year before the new season

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Fair enough.

Still, I wonder if Eddie was in the running for the AFL chair but missed out. Fitzpatrick's departure, although only announced today, would have been known around the senior levels in the clubs for some time.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:11 am

I don't think Eddie should remain President for life, but he's done a tremendous job for the club so we could do far worse than keeping him on as President.

It's very easy to propose that Eddie step aside due to his longevity in the one position, but it's difficult to find an alternative to him that could achieve similar or even better outcomes for the club than him.

If someone out there puts their hand up and challenges him in the future and outlines their vision and the future of the club then of course that needs to be considered, but as it stands no one has done that and so if Eddie is still committed to the job then I'm happy to stick with him as President.

I've worried about some of his decisions in the last few years along with the board, but I think Eddie will always have the club's best interests at heart when push comes to shove.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's got plans to step aside at some point in the next few years and has lined potential successors, but as a member I'm happy to see him stay on President of the club for now.

I think considering all the work Eddie has done over the years for the club, we deserve to see another flag under his tenure. I feel like only winning the one flag in 18 years isn't enough and he deserves a second one before his time as President ends.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:50 am

Damien wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
^^^^

Why must EVERYONE support the President? He is not Adolf Hitler or Kim Jung-ul?

All views help make the republic strong. Some people blindly accept the will of the majority. others have the role of keeping the bastards honest. If run properly, all the different views should result in a positive outcome for the most important player - the Club!

I agree that if you are a true fan you should do what you believe is in the best interest of the Club. But that doesn't always mean supporting the president. If people in the US blindly followed your "so-called" advice, the world would end in this calendar year. It may still end in this calendar year, but at least the voices of opposition are providing some checks and alances on our new fact free world.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:30 am

Big Talk that Mick Gayfer was going to come in but I would prefer old WWF President Jack Tunney if Eddie did want to leave.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:40 am

A bit concerning is that there seems to be nothing else out there, not even a hint of a challenge. Not even a half brother? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: