Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie to remain club president until 2020.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie came into the position when we were basically on our knees. Since then he has built us up to be a financial success and set the club up for ongoing financial stability. That's the main function of the president is the financial stability of the business.
Yes we would all like premierships every year or 2 but you can only dream of such success unless the afl hierarchy gifts them to you or you hit the draft jackpot and trading jackpots like the Hawks.
Eddie has always had Collingwoods best interest at heart and he has always fought for what's best for us often as a lone voice while the other clubs sit back and hope he's successful.
I don't believe Eddie presidency should be or is linked to Bucks success. They are 2 separate issues. If Bucks fails this year he's gone simple everyone understands that. But for mine that would be the time you want a strong president to oversee a new coach and other staff providing stability and guidance and certainty.
When the times right he will hand over to a person he believes can continue to make sure we have the financial ability to give our players and staff every resource they need to be successful
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Eddie came into the position when we were basically on our knees. Since then he has built us up to be a financial success and set the club up for ongoing financial stability. That's the main function of the president is the financial stability of the business.
Yes we would all like premierships every year or 2 but you can only dream of such success unless the afl hierarchy gifts them to you or you hit the draft jackpot and trading jackpots like the Hawks.
Eddie has always had Collingwoods best interest at heart and he has always fought for what's best for us often as a lone voice while the other clubs sit back and hope he's successful.
I don't believe Eddie presidency should be or is linked to Bucks success. They are 2 separate issues. If Bucks fails this year he's gone simple everyone understands that. But for mine that would be the time you want a strong president to oversee a new coach and other staff providing stability and guidance and certainty.
When the times right he will hand over to a person he believes can continue to make sure we have the financial ability to give our players and staff every resource they need to be successful

The idea that Eddie saved the Club from financial ruin is a myth.
The rivers of gold from the Media rights have lifted every Melbourne Club up including Collingwood
The idea that Eddie is a financial guru is also a myth.

Check out the latest financial reports ( yes I know Accountants can fiddle the books from year to year.
Our position is no better than any other club except for Essendon and we all know that sad story.

1. Pies
For the Collingwood Football Club the final declared statutory result for the 2016 financial year is a net loss of $2,622,623 (2015 - profit of $848,076).

2. Dogs
Dogs announce a record $3.6 million operating profit

3. Hawks
Hawthorn Football Club has recorded a net operating profit of $2.57 million ($2,573,491) for the financial year ended 31 October 2016.

4. Dees
FOR the second successive year, since its major overhaul, the Melbourne Football Club has reported an operating profit of $562k for the financial year ended 31 October 2015, which is also a substantial improvement on the operating profit of $160k in 2014.
5. Cats
Geelong is pleased to announce a consolidated comprehensive net profit of $2.3 million for 2016 The Club’s net asset position is $9.9 million (2015: $7.7 million). Total revenue increased by 10% to $54.6 million (2015: $49.7 million).
Note Geelong is building a home ground that we could dream about!
6. Saints
St Kilda Football Club has delivered an operating profit of $150,589 for the 2016 financial year before grant funding revenue, depreciation, amortisation and interest, and an overall accounting net profit of $1,107,311.

7. Norf
The operating result of the North Melbourne Football Club for the year ended 31 October 2015 was a profit of $529,507 (2014: $423,074). The net profit of the Company was $148,852 (2014: $42,419) after non-operating items for the year ended 31 October 2015.
8. Tigers
Richmond will report a deficit of $80,257 for the financial year ended 31 October.
The Club generated an operating surplus of $1.2 million but after amortisation and depreciation, a small loss will be reported.
9. Blues
The on and off-field improvement at Carlton continues, after recording a $1.1 million operating profit before depreciation and amortisation for the year ending October 31, 2016.
Including depreciation and amortisation, the Club recorded a net deficit of $765,000 – in comparison with $2.7 million in 2015.

10. Essendon Football Club has recorded an operating loss of $9.8 million for the 2016 financial year.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:54 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Here here, or is that hear hear!

So if those figures are true, do the Bulldogs still get help? They bloody well should not

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:03 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
Until someone can show me a better candidate than Eddie then as far as I am concern Eddie has the job if he wants it. I am a firm believer in getting the best man for the job and at the moment it is Eddie.

I also would have to say that those that judge Eddie by the number of premiership wins are completely off target and irrational. Certainly, the ambition of every club, player, servant and member is to win the ultimate success but there are far too many factors that are outside of the clubs or an individuals control for it to be a fair benchmark. How would like to see your professional evaluation based on something out of your control? Sound a bit unfair???

Eddie is not perfect and I am sure he rubs us all the wrong way at times. At the same time, he brings a lot to the table and his impact and contribution to the club cannot be diminished.

So member when the band plays crap it is not the conductors fault?
After all the conductor in this case is also the band manager, chief organizer and spruiker.
SOUNDS a bit off.....

So if the AFL had not been as successful in manipulating the competition and the Brisbane Lions we not as strong in the 2001 - 2004 period and as a result we won the flags in 2002 & 2003 Eddie would have been a fantastic President.

On the flip side if the ball had bounced the other way and a goal was award to Milne in the drawn 2010 Grand Final, Eddie would have been a worse president.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:30 pm

35forever wrote:
Nope! No accountability, doesn't have to worry about results, memberships, attendances. He can just concentrate on what he does best. Squiring whichever celebrity is in town, and making sure his mate stays as coach until he wins one or dies.

Might be a long 32 years.

Yeah right. No accountability. Yeah he would be one on the most unaccountable people going around. I'm sure Ed doesn't spend every spare moment he has thinking about all those things you mentioned. He clearly doesn't care and must be in the job for the money. Almost 20 years of service for not a cent for his 'other family' as he describes it. 🙄

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Damien wrote:
35forever wrote:
Nope! No accountability, doesn't have to worry about results, memberships, attendances. He can just concentrate on what he does best. Squiring whichever celebrity is in town, and making sure his mate stays as coach until he wins one or dies.

Yeah right. No accountability. Yeah he would be one on the most unaccountable people going around. I'm sure Ed doesn't spend every spare moment he has thinking about all those things you mentioned. He clearly doesn't care and must be in the job for the money. Almost 20 years of service for not a cent for his 'other family' as he describes it. 🙄

We all know Eddie gets no direct financial benefit from being the Prez.
But my god, as Eddie Everywhere in the media.... the position of Prez has been a gold mine for him in terms of exposure and connections.
I just love the naive defense of Eddie in this thread.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:16 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Damien wrote:
35forever wrote:

But my god, as Eddie Everywhere in the media.... the position of Prez has been a gold mine for him in terms of exposure and connections.

Actually, I believe the opposite applies. Collingwood have benefited a great deal more from Eddies profile in comparison to Eddie benefiting from being the CFC President.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Member 7167 wrote:

On the flip side if the ball had bounced the other way and a goal was award to Milne in the drawn 2010 Grand Final, Eddie would have been a worse president.

So Member you are saying luck is often a big contributing factor.
And we have had overall less than our fair share of luck.
This argument has been trotted out numerous times over the last few years.
See Lazza re injuries!
I don't buy it.
I look at it like climate change scientists do on climate warming.
Every extreme individual event cannot be directly linked to climate change but the overall trend of multiple extreme events can be.
And the overall trend of Eddies reign has been one of cronyism, bad admin, bad decisions both on and off the field.
Eddie did a good job in his first few years.
He cleaned out the cronies from the last admin and made some good decisions.
But now the old problems of long term political power has again raised the flag.
This happens everywhere.
I like that old saying;
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!
I am a firm believer in a fixed time limit for any Prez, prime minister, Ceo etc....
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Member 7167 wrote:

Actually, I believe the opposite applies. Collingwood have benefited a great deal more from Eddies profile in comparison to Eddie benefiting from being the CFC President.

So you agree Member ... Ed has had "friends benefits" from CFC?
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Under Ed only one thing of real impact has gone wrong since mid 2011. A horrible and torrential amount of injuries. Year after year. If we were to finally have some sustained luck with injuries for two or three years no one would have anything to complain about. If we get our list on the park for long enough the missing link in the big picture will be gone. We have amazing facilities, strong membership and no debt. We just need to see our best players out there most weeks. The excitement will come back.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:32 pm

NO Prime Minister lasts 20 yrs -aside from ol Menzies-nor any President of the US or anywhere. I cant think of any other AFL Club Prez whose hung around this long. Kennett was right on this score, a Clubs Prez life is around 10-12 yrs, no more, then they get stale, time for a change, eddie himself should realise this fact. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Damien wrote:
35forever wrote:

Exactly! There certainly are some naive people on here. Ed's paid gigs have been a major reason that sponsors have flocked to us ever since his early days on the footy show. Some people really do have it arse-about don't they.

Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
NO Prime Minister lasts 20 yrs -aside from ol Menzies-nor any President of the US or anywhere. I cant think of any other AFL Club Prez whose hung around this long. Kennett was right on this score, a Clubs Prez life is around 10-12 yrs, no more, then they get stale, time for a change, eddie himself should realise this fact. Surprised

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-08-04/our-twelve-presidents

For 36 years, Harry Curtis was a name everyone in football knew. After playing 122 games for the Magpies, he went on to be Collingwood’s longest serving President in an era which included six premierships and the coaching span of the legendary Jock McHale.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Good news, IMO.

Wouldn't have done the stability of club any good at all to announce Eddies' departure on the eve of a new footy season.

Makes me wonder why the board left decision till now. Surely it was something that they were scheduled to decide on soon after the close of last season. Wonder what it was that held up till now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: