Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie to remain club president until 2020.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bucks goes Ed goes. Simple as that. I'm sure he'd say the same. But IF this is Bucks last year, Ed's last hurrah might be to get in Clarkson. If the Hawks don't succeed in 2017 (and for them that would be anything less than top 4) he'll be up for a new start and we'll throw the kitchen sink at him. Similar scenario to when he went and got Malthouse.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:55 pm

35forever wrote:
Nope! No accountability, doesn't have to worry about results, memberships, attendances. He can just concentrate on what he does best. Squiring whichever celebrity is in town, and making sure his mate stays as coach until he wins one or dies.

Might be a long 32 years.

Not keen on sticking your hand up for the job mate?

Oh, that's right - presidency of the largest sporting club in Australia is a little harder than potting Eddie and Bucks from behind a keyboard at any given opportunity....

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Damien wrote:
If Bucks goes Ed goes. Simple as that. I'm sure he'd say the same. But IF this is Bucks last year, Ed's last hurrah might be to get in Clarkson. If the Hawks don't succeed in 2017 (and for them that would be anything less than top 4) he'll be up for a new start and we'll throw the kitchen sink at him. Similar scenario to when he went and got Malthouse.

I say ED would want to Bring in Paul Roos

mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Damien wrote:

It's a big domino effect I reckon.

If Bucks (and his assistants) goes;

Ed goes, if Ed goes;

Most of the board goes; If the board goes;

Pert goes, if Pert goes;

Davoren goes; If Davoren goes;

Hine goes, If Hine goes;

Etc, etc, etc.

If season 2017 is a distinct failure agin (god I hope it isn't) then the number of changes at our club could be record breaking.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:38 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Damien wrote:

It's a big domino effect I reckon.

If Bucks (and his assistants) goes;

Ed goes, if Ed goes;

Most of the board goes; If the board goes;

Pert goes, if Pert goes;

Davoren goes; If Davoren goes;

Hine goes, If Hine goes;

Etc, etc, etc.

If season 2017 is a distinct failure agin (god I hope it isn't) then the number of changes at our club could be record breaking.

So a Failed Season could bring down the Hierarchy of Collingwood and have to Bring in just about everyone New?

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:41 pm

if he stays...could it happen...

Quote:
I came here because of Breaking Bad. Saul has talked about killing Jesse (The scene Saul and Walter and Kube in the car - season 5). Saul talked about Old Yeller as a metaphor. - quote about "Old Yeller" THAT scene

Quote:

One of the saddest and most dramatic scenes in cinema history!

Quote:
There's no hope Travis, he's suffering...you know what you have to do...
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:01 am

Great news...Well done old mate.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 am

5150 wrote:
Great news.

Best person for the job.

We don't realise how lucky we are, how many other candidates out there have the profile, time and cojones to lead one of the biggest sporting clubs in the country for no income.

Absolutely agree. I'm shocked at how many posters on here fail to appreciate the incredible job he's done, and continues to do, for Collingwood. He is the best president in the AFL by a country mile.

There will be plenty of time to look back, wistfully, on the good-old-days when Ed was president, when we had a powerful voice in the media and the AFL.

Plenty of weaker presidents let him do the heavy-lifting on the behalf of all the (particularly Victorian) clubs. Brisbane's concessions, Sydney's COLA cheating, the academies, the concessions for the new clubs. Who else has the balls and the clout to fight those issues on behalf of, not just the Pies, but all clubs?

Don't wish him away you pack of ingrates. Smile

It looks to me like Joni Mitchell should've been a Nick's poster, she might've talked some sense into you lot - 'Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone'.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 am

Redlight wrote:
5150 wrote:
Great news.

Best person for the job.

We don't realise how lucky we are, how many other candidates out there have the profile, time and cojones to lead one of the biggest sporting clubs in the country for no income.

Absolutely agree. I'm shocked at how many posters on here fail to appreciate the incredible job he's done, and continues to do, for Collingwood. He is the best president in the AFL by a country mile.

There will be plenty of time to look back, wistfully, on the good-old-days when Ed was president, when we had a powerful voice in the media and the AFL.

Plenty of weaker presidents let him do the heavy-lifting on the behalf of all the (particularly Victorian) clubs. Brisbane's concessions, Sydney's COLA cheating, the academies, the concessions for the new clubs. Who else has the balls and the clout to fight those issues on behalf of, not just the Pies, but all clubs?

It looks to me like Joni Mitchell should've been a Nick's poster, she might've talked some sense into you lot - 'Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone'.

Besides the fact that you bring back the days when songwriters knew how to write decent lyrics, most of the members agree with you, since no one else nominated for a board position. Also I fail to see how anyone without a connection to the current board could nominate for a position on the board, let alone nominate for president. There are so many aspects to running an AFL club including maintaining a high profile to bring sponsors into the club, having the right people to balance the books, putting together a football department that has success on the field and keeping the AFL on song with ever thing you do. Look at how easily the Essendon FC self destructed after a couple of poor decisions in their footy department were not properly scrunitized by their board.
The way I see it Eddie should make the call when he thinks he's ready to stand down. That could be when Eddie finds himself too busy to keep doing the job and when there there is an adequate replacement to take over as president. We definitely don't want a domino effect at the end of the year if Buckley fails as coach and resigns and then Eddie follows suite and resigns and then the board resigns as well. There needs to be a structured succession plan in place for the board, just as we need a succession plan for the football department in case Buckley fails as coach.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 am

5150 wrote:
Great news.

Best person for the job.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Don't agree with all he does but as far as I am concerned Edward has the runs on the board (no pun intended) and is the best person for the job whether he has been there 1 year or 20. I don't care how long he is President as long as he is doing the best job and I believe he is.

burnsy17 wrote:
35forever wrote:
Nope! No accountability, doesn't have to worry about results, memberships, attendances. He can just concentrate on what he does best. Squiring whichever celebrity is in town, and making sure his mate stays as coach until he wins one or dies.

Oh, that's right - presidency of the largest sporting club in Australia is a little harder than potting Eddie and Bucks from behind a keyboard at any given opportunity....

joffa corfe wrote:

Redlight wrote:
Best person for the job.

It looks to me like Joni Mitchell should've been a Nick's poster, she might've talked some sense into you lot - 'Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone'.[/quote]

Agree totally with the above posters.

There will always be whingers as we well know but usually at a Club, (unlike an election process such as in the US) sanity prevails. Rolling Eyes Cool

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 am

5150 wrote:
Great news.

Best person for the job.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Don't agree with all he does but as far as I am concerned Edward has the runs on the board (no pun intended) and is the best person for the job whether he has been there 1 year or 20. I don't care how long he is President as long as he is doing the best job and I believe he is.

burnsy17 wrote:
35forever wrote:

joffa corfe wrote:

Redlight wrote:
Best person for the job.

Quote:

Agree totally with the above posters.

There will always be whingers as we well know but usually at a Club, (unlike an election process such as in the US) sanity prevails. Rolling Eyes Cool

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 am

We have won 4 flags in the last 80 years
And we are probably on track to win about 4 more this century with the current thinking of the members and supporters.
Ed is a Dud.
We are a second rate club with our decision making.
The appointment of Bux with no proper process is a case in point.
looking forward to more of this:
cronyism
ˈkrəʊnɪɪz(ə)m/
nounderogatory
the appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority, without proper regard to their qualifications.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 am

Until someone can show me a better candidate than Eddie then as far as I am concern Eddie has the job if he wants it. I am a firm believer in getting the best man for the job and at the moment it is Eddie.

I also would have to say that those that judge Eddie by the number of premiership wins are completely off target and irrational. Certainly, the ambition of every club, player, servant and member is to win the ultimate success but there are far too many factors that are outside of the clubs or an individuals control for it to be a fair benchmark. How would like to see your professional evaluation based on something out of your control? Sound a bit unfair???

Eddie is not perfect and I am sure he rubs us all the wrong way at times. At the same time, he brings a lot to the table and his impact and contribution to the club cannot be diminished.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 am

Lazza wrote:

^^^^

My thoughts exactly Member

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:44 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Until someone can show me a better candidate than Eddie then as far as I am concern Eddie has the job if he wants it. I am a firm believer in getting the best man for the job and at the moment it is Eddie.

I also would have to say that those that judge Eddie by the number of premiership wins are completely off target and irrational. Certainly, the ambition of every club, player, servant and member is to win the ultimate success but there are far too many factors that are outside of the clubs or an individuals control for it to be a fair benchmark. How would like to see your professional evaluation based on something out of your control? Sound a bit unfair???

Eddie is not perfect and I am sure he rubs us all the wrong way at times. At the same time, he brings a lot to the table and his impact and contribution to the club cannot be diminished.

So member when the band plays crap it is not the conductors fault?
After all the conductor in this case is also the band manager, chief organizer and spruiker.
SOUNDS a bit off.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: