Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is the age of liberal democracy coming to an end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
It would be a shit of a job being a school teacher.

Curriculum and teaching methods appear to be idealism based, not evidence based.

Too many of the kids are self entitled brats with no respect for authority (not that a teacher has a lot of authority left these days)

Parents either expect the teachers to teach their kids everything, including manners, morals and basic decency or have unrealistic expectations of their precious sprog and lash out at the teacher if the kid gets bad marks or pulled up for bad behaviour.

Any wonder that people who can afford it, opt out of the public system in various ways.

^ and ^^ Agreed with both of you. School teaching might be the worst $/stress ratio of any common job in the workforce - but does it have to be this way ? Why can't schools be reinvented as a space where rules and authority are enforced, and parental authority is circumscribed if it will not reinforce the mission of education ? And why have teachers conspired with libertarians to make their jobs so miserable ?

Education is too important to be left to the will of children.

TP, Most of my Asian experience is with Singaporeans and Chinese and Japanese, so with that disclaimer, I'd say that Asians are gradually improving in regard to the rights of the individual - human and animal - as their economic situation improves. It's a journey, as they say ; once humans are assured that they can feed and house themselves they start to move up Maslow's pyramid. I don't think this is about education, so much as overall development.

They do self-criticise their education system as being too light on creativity vs fact-based learning, but I sense that too is changing, at least in Singapore. Still, I'd rather have someone who knew a lot before they started to get creative, rather than someone who is pig-ignorant but "creative". Knowledge of craft precedes real creativity, in my experience.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:45 pm

On the OP, I think the answer is that no, liberal democracy is not coming to an end, nor is it likely to, because it has the characteristics of a learning system : by its very nature, it adapts itself to the needs of the people who live under it, and thus it tends to survive.

In that sense, Trump is a safety valve. A dictatorship would ignore the discontents that animated Trump's vote, until they exploded. instead, a Liberal Democracy calls the bluff, and says "ok, then - you say you can fix it, here you are". The bluff is thus soon exposed for what it is. I am trying to think of any deeply-rooted liberal democracies that have imploded, and I can't. Weimar was in no way deep-rooted. I suspect this intrinsic adaptability is the reason for its unique durability as a political system.

Could it end ? Of course, anything can end and everything will, in time - but I think the essentials described by David will endure storms that would flatten dictatorships. Barring economic collapse, the smart money is on liberal democracies remaining so.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It would be a shit of a job being a school teacher.

Curriculum and teaching methods appear to be idealism based, not evidence based.

Too many of the kids are self entitled brats with no respect for authority (not that a teacher has a lot of authority left these days)

Parents either expect the teachers to teach their kids everything, including manners, morals and basic decency or have unrealistic expectations of their precious sprog and lash out at the teacher if the kid gets bad marks or pulled up for bad behaviour.

Any wonder that people who can afford it, opt out of the public system in various ways.

Yep to all

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Is the age of liberal democracy coming to an end?

I reckon there is every chance that is in grave danger of disappearing, at least for a while.

To paraphrase Sir Edward Grey, the lamps are going out all over the world. Anyone thinking that Trump, Hanson, Le Pen et al. are going to sort it out are kidding themselves. Puppets the lot of them. They are NOT running the show.

Corporate fascism and cultural marxism are both playing their roles.

I'd personally be astonished if the USA is NOT at war with Iran before the year is out.

Just my opinions of course Very Happy

MM

PS: The USA is NOT a liberal democracy. It is a representative republic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: