Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Did Collingwood sponsor Richmond into VFL?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:59 pm
Post subject: Did Collingwood sponsor Richmond into VFL?Reply with quote

In the endless to and fro between myself and a diehard tiger friend of mine about the respective merits of our clubs I made a point recently that we had sponsored Richmond's entry to the VFL.
I relayed to him my understanding that the board of Collingwood wrote a letter to the VFL endorsing Richmond's application to enter the league. This turned out to be an important factor in the decision for the league to grant Richmond's entry circa 1910. My yellow and black friend wants evidence for this. Does anyone out there have anything to help? I seem to recall reading a copy of the letter in a book on the magpie history once. Maybe Glenn McFarlane was the author? Anyone got evidence to support (or otherwise) my view?

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Pannam Snr was their captain in 1908, the year they first played in the VFL. The connection was very close at that point.

The VFL was looking to expand anyway so Collingwood's endorsement was merely a formality.

"Collingwood initiated the motion that allowed Richmond entry into the VFL in 1908"

http://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/the-ire-of-the-tigers/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: