Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mick McGuanne 1994 WACA

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:20 pm
Post subject: Mick McGuanne 1994 WACAReply with quote

Lets say he takes the chest mark and kicks the goal.

Collingwood wins by 4 in a huge upset.

I think this is correct....

Quote:
The Semis would have become WCE V Melb in Perth. And Carlton V Collingwood at the MCG. North and Geelong would have earned the week off and gone into Prelim. The Hawks and Dogs would have been the teams eliminated.

Which would mean the winner of WCE/Dees would play the Cats at the
MCG and the winner of Blues/Pies would have played North.

I don't think we would have been able to knock off the top 3 teams that year to win the flag. But considering the Blues went out in straight sets to Melb, we could have found ourselves in a PF.

Perhaps the Cats could have gone on to the win the flag, and Gaz would have his Premiership? Or perhaps North could have taken it out a couple of seasons before they'd win it in 96? Or maybe the Eagles would have just bounced back and won it anyway?

But its amazing how one dropped mark can change everything.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:12 pm
Post subject: Re: Mick McGuanne 1994 WACAReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:

I've often thought the same thing.
Remember the sun was right in his eyes when he tried to snaffle that mark off balance. You can bet your life he still kicks himself over it too.
We might have eeked a couple of more games out of Shaw's career had we fallen over the line.
And that last quarter by Brown was something else.

A 1994 SF against Carlton would have been a cracker; we'd won the round.2 clash which featured the McGuane goal of the year, and they won the return bout by a few goals.

Tell ya what though, we have played some nail-biter finals against WCE over the years, even the 2012SF was far from a stroll in the park.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Presti35 wrote:

I think this is correct....

Quote:
The Semis would have become WCE V Melb in Perth. And Carlton V Collingwood at the MCG. North and Geelong would have earned the week off and gone into Prelim. The Hawks and Dogs would have been the teams eliminated.

Which would mean the winner of WCE/Dees would play the Cats at the
MCG and the winner of Blues/Pies would have played North.

I don't think we would have been able to knock off the top 3 teams that year to win the flag. But considering the Blues went out in straight sets to Melb, we could have found ourselves in a PF.

Perhaps the Cats could have gone on to the win the flag, and Gaz would have his Premiership? Or perhaps North could have taken it out a couple of seasons before they'd win it in 96? Or maybe the Eagles would have just bounced back and won it anyway?

Interesting question.

Let's assume McGuane does mark and goal on/after the siren. Pies through to the semi, facing a Carlton that in real life goes out in straight sets. We beat them by 34 points on Easter Monday and they returned the favour by 43 points in Round 17. With that wildly varying ledger, do we beat them? Maybe. I'd like to think that we could break the pattern of history and actually beat them in September for a change.

Let's assume we do win. Puts us through to face North in the prelim. The Roos cleaned us up twice that year, by 33 points in Round 9 and 64 points in Round 24. I don't see that changing in the alternate timeline, so we bow out in the second-last week.

As for the rest, the Eagles most likely steamroll the Dees in Perth and advance to face Geelong, who they whipped in the real life GF. Does the week off give Geelong the advantage? Maybe. Might very well mean that the Cats and Roos fight their epic one week later.

Where a deeper finish might have had an effect is on the Collingwood board, who may have actually not repeated the mistakes of the past and got the Lockett deal over the line...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53 pm

piedys wrote:
Remember the sun was right in his eyes when he tried to snaffle that mark off balance. You can bet your life he still kicks himself over it too.
We might have eeked a couple of more games out of Shaw's career had we fallen over the line.

A 1994 SF against Carlton would have been a cracker; we'd won the round.2 clash which featured the McGuane goal of the year, and they won the return bout by a few goals.

Tell ya what though, we have played some nail-biter finals against WCE over the years, even the 2012SF was far from a stroll in the park.

From memory, Rowdy actually took a mark in the goal square which wasn't paid just before that. Either one gets us over the line. But yes, Rowdy nearly carried us to the win in that final term.

Not sure Shawry plays again, given he was out injured early in that game. Hamstring, from memory...?

We beat the Blues by 34 points on Easter Monday, but they got us back by 43 in Round 17. I'd like to think we could have gotten them again, if only to prove that we can actually beat them in September for a change. 85,000+ went to both games. You'd reckon a final cracks 90k, or at least gives it a mighty nudge.

What screwed us in 1994 was a series of narrow losses, all decided by less than a goal. We lost to Essendon by 4 points in Round 5, to Melbourne by 5 points in Round 6 and to St Kilda by 2 points in Round 23. Flip the Bombers and Saints games, we finish 3rd behind West Coast and Carlton, face Hawthorn in the first week. Flip all three, we still finish 3rd but face Footscray first up, while consigning Melbourne to 9th spot in favour of Richmond (he he).

Now, I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that one man could have changed everything, but when you consider that the Collingwood of 1994 over-relied on a 20 year old Saverio Rocca to kick its goals for it, perhaps you can cast a dirty eye at Leigh Matthews for sacking Peter Daicos during pre-season...

Last edited by MagpieBat on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the game.
Watched it with the old man. (Who is an Eagles supporter)
Devastated is an understatement.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:37 am

piedys wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Indeed we have had some rippers against the Eagles .I still remember watching this game with my dad , I still remember McCartney kicking a bomb , it was hard seeing Shawry finishing up for us all

www.facebook/the hybernators
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:44 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
As for the rest, the Eagles most likely steamroll the Dees in Perth and advance to face Geelong, who they whipped in the real life GF. Does the week off give Geelong the advantage? Maybe. Might very well mean that the Cats and Roos fight their epic one week later.

I've always thought North deserved to get through in 1994.
The PF kick by Tudor from the pocket to Ablett, is THE most underrated team oriented, yet perfectly arsey chip to the top of the square we are ever likely to see. Reckon that ball sailed over dippy Mick's head in slow motion. He sits in the square a broken man, watching a GF berth slip.
At least the Kangas would have given us effort for four quarters in the GF.

MagpieBat wrote:
Where a deeper finish might have had an effect is on the Collingwood board, who may have actually not repeated the mistakes of the past and got the Lockett deal over the line...

Casting vote to Wayne Richardson, who couldn't bear the thought of his precious son getting delisted while Lockett took his place.

FYI, I was one of the few idiots who actually agreed with not securing Lockett; I thought he was more trouble than he was worth. FAIL.

MagpieBat wrote:
From memory, Rowdy actually took a mark in the goal square which wasn't paid just before that. Either one gets us over the line. But yes, Rowdy nearly carried us to the win in that final term.

Honestly, I don't remember thinking the maggots failed us in this final, which is rare for me; I'd need to have another look at the final term.
We were also almost the catalyst for AFL scrapping the final-8 system before the McIntyre fixture was brought in a year or two later.

MagpieBat wrote:
What screwed us in 1994 was a series of narrow losses, all decided by less than a goal. We lost to Essendon by 4 points in Round 5, to Melbourne by 5 points in Round 6 and to St Kilda by 2 points in Round 23.

The 1994 un-official ANZAC Day pre-view vs the Dons was epic.
We lost the game at halftime when that goal dribbled through on the siren, which nobody bothered to stop. I went f*cking beserk and put on a nice show for the crowd. And umpire pet Hird getting the world on a plate by the maggots in the final term.
Oh, and that putrid Melbourne match where Brown runs into an open goal as the siren rings for 1/4-time, and Ballantyne does his knee chasing Lyon.

MagpieBat wrote:
Now, I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that one man could have changed everything, but when you consider that the Collingwood of 1994 over-relied on a 20 year old Saverio Rocca to kick its goals for it, perhaps you can cast a dirty eye at Leigh Matthews for sacking Peter Daicos during pre-season...

Oh, I gave fatguts Matthews more than greasy looks during 1994, I assure you of that. Daicos never really had any stand-out games over in the west IIRC, but was probably a better option than Tranquilli, despite his match winning haul against them at the MCG earlier that year.

Yet 1994 was an odd year, we took down the Roos on the siren in the pre-season comp [thanks to Brad Plain's snap], which was the only time we saw Buckley and Daicos take the field together as Magpies.
And we rolled both Grand Finalists on the MCG during the home&away season, yet could only stagger into eighth place.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:21 am

Leggie wrote:
Remember the game.

I'd be devastated to if my old man was a Weagles supporter... I think there are support groups that might help you through it.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:49 pm

I love these 'sliding doors' threads, I started a 1992 one a while back...what could have been?

For what its worth, I reckon the '92 squad was closer to being a chance, but '94 was pretty open...I mean the Dee's made a prelim!

People often say we hung onto the 1990 squad for too long; you reckon that was a factor in the way 1994 went?

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

jackcass wrote:
Leggie wrote:
Remember the game.

I'd be devastated to if my old man was a Weagles supporter... I think there are support groups that might help you through it.

Haha. Yeah. Not sure what's worse. The fact that he is an Eagles supporter or the fact that he was a blooz supporter before that. 😂

uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:47 pm

That's a great what if question. Imagine if the boy from Sebastopol had held that mark and kicked truly. You'd be going to get two more telling or memorable contributions to a win, along with that seven bounce Easter goal, in a season than that. We can only wonder at what might have been as others have posted.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:11 am

piedys wrote:
I've always thought North deserved to get through in 1994.
The PF kick by Tudor from the pocket to Ablett, is THE most underrated team oriented, yet perfectly arsey chip to the top of the square we are ever likely to see. Reckon that ball sailed over dippy Mick's head in slow motion. He sits in the square a broken man, watching a GF berth slip.
At least the Kangas would have given us effort for four quarters in the GF.

Everything about that moment is classic, from the kick by Tudor itself, to Cometti's call, to the context on Martyn having Ablett's measure that day, even Terry Wheeler's ecstatic "WOAH!" in the background.

piedys wrote:
Casting vote to Wayne Richardson, who couldn't bear the thought of his precious son getting delisted while Lockett took his place.

FYI, I was one of the few idiots who actually agreed with not securing Lockett; I thought he was more trouble than he was worth. FAIL.

McAllister had the power (president's pick?) to veto the board's decision and sign Lockett anyway, but he didn't use it, ostensibly out of fear of embarrassing the club again (the Winmar controversy was still in recent memory at the time). The deal falling over also convinced Matthews that he was on borrowed time at Victoria Park. Both would be gone within the year.

And as for Mark Richardson, he ironically ended up moving to centre half back, eventually just missing potential inclusion in the 2002 GF for Jason Cloke with a leg injury in the final training session. FAIL indeed!

piedys wrote:
Honestly, I don't remember thinking the maggots failed us in this final, which is rare for me; I'd need to have another look at the final term.
We were also almost the catalyst for AFL scrapping the final-8 system before the McIntyre fixture was brought in a year or two later.

Here's the game, recorded a few years back when Channel 7 still showed old games under the "Footy Flashbacks" banner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzVy4nmZjPs

Skip to 1:52:20, when Tranquilli takes his set-shot from 50. The ball sails over into the outer pocket. Rowdy takes a two-bite grab nearly right in front but isn't paid. You be the judge on that one...

piedys wrote:
We lost the game at halftime when that goal dribbled through on the siren, which nobody bothered to stop. I went f*cking beserk and put on a nice show for the crowd. And umpire pet Hird getting the world on a plate by the maggots in the final term.
Oh, and that putrid Melbourne match where Brown runs into an open goal as the siren rings for 1/4-time, and Ballantyne does his knee chasing Lyon.

Oh, I bet you did. Wink Razz Laughing

piedys wrote:
Oh, I gave fatguts Matthews more than greasy looks during 1994, I assure you of that. Daicos never really had any stand-out games over in the west IIRC, but was probably a better option than Tranquilli, despite his match winning haul against them at the MCG earlier that year.

I don't doubt that either. Having read your famous rants over the years and thinking that they could cut diamonds, I can only imagine your actual verbal sprays... Shocked

piedys wrote:
Yet 1994 was an odd year, we took down the Roos on the siren in the pre-season comp [thanks to Brad Plain's snap], which was the only time we saw Buckley and Daicos take the field together as Magpies.
And we rolled both Grand Finalists on the MCG during the home&away season, yet could only stagger into eighth place.

It was really the last chance for the core of 1990 to win a second flag. Brown, McGuane, Monkhorst, Russell, Francis, Grosisca and Wright were all in their prime, while Shaw, Kelly, Christian and Kerrison were also still chipping in as their careers neared the end. 1992 and 1994 were the closest/best chances to get another one, while 1991 and 1993 were pissed away for no good reason at all...

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:03 am

MagpieBat wrote:
piedys wrote:
We lost the game at halftime when that goal dribbled through on the siren, which nobody bothered to stop. I went f*cking beserk and put on a nice show for the crowd.

Oh, I bet you did. Wink Razz Laughing

piedys wrote:
Oh, I gave fatguts Matthews more than greasy looks during 1994, I assure you of that.

I don't doubt that either. Having read your famous rants over the years and thinking that they could cut diamonds, I can only imagine your actual verbal sprays... Shocked

I reckon Rudey might remember some of the bakes I dished out in the Sherrin stand and at the MCG from 1985-1994.
Rudey's and Ian's sledges to the maggots and opposition were always very intellectual and non-profanity, where mine were not so G-rated, which often saw me exiled to the outer at half-time by mum...
But the Yarra Falls outer was okay because you could generally vent and rant without fear of moderation or reprisal; kinda like facebook.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:39 pm

I touched it: Nathan Buckley reveals 1994 finals anguish

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-touched-it-nathan-buckley-reveals-finals-anguish-20180907-p502ei.html

“Peter Matera kicked a goal from about 60 (metres out) and I touched it.”
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:45 pm

and what if, in 1990, the drawn Qualifying Final, in the last 30 seconds.. the $£$%^%%$ eagles runner doesn't get in the way and knock the ball out of bounds just as Millane was about to clear it out of defence? The resulting throw in saw Langdon hack the ball out and find Sumich, who in turn, kicked the deciding point. Right in front of me!! We were ripped off!

We obviously went on to beat Essendon in the 2nd semi but they'd been waiting to play a game for 3 weeks!

I've always wondered how different things could've been. Imagine Sumich kicks that goal? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: